Is a 19" saddle huuugggeee??

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Ive just been looking at a second hand Albion saddle sized 19 Medium. Im 5ft9 with fairly long legs and my horse is a 16.1hh, but not particularly short in the back, ID x TB (sorry not a brill pic - most of my pics are on the other computer!)
PicturesfromAbisphone270310033.jpg

3-1.jpg

I've been told by a saddle fitter that he's a really awkward shape to fit! Something about his girth being further forward than his withers :-/
Thanks in advance for your help! :) and homemade butterfly cakes for those that have got this far! :D

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Yeh i think it would be hugeeee... im 5'8 and kind of found my self floating in an 18". And that was fairly long for my 16.3hh so i think it would be a little on the large side!!

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Hahaa ok :) just thought i would check! Current saddle is 17.5-18inch and about right but I need to change it as its really no good! :(
Am i right in saying the 19" bit is purely the seat size from the pommel to the cantle and is to do more therefore with the rider but obviously the saddle musnt come past the last rib on the horse?
Can anyone recommend any saddles for difficult shaped horses? I like the Albion Selectas as I like the idea of being able to change the knee rolls as I have a limited budget so can't afford two saddles :(

bigboyrocky

Visit site
GFS saddles arent your usual shape. I had a pony who it was impossible to find a saddle for, and we ended up getting a GFS. Could be awkwardly shaped in a different way though!

kerilli

Visit site
yes, it's the length of the seat, but it makes more of a difference than you'd think, maybe they put the stirrup bars further back too, i found it very odd. did a 2* CCI clear in it but it really wasn't right at all, didn't help me out one bit.
there are some really good bargains around in the 2nd hand saddle department. in what way is your horse difficult shaped? doesn't look too bad in the pic but it's v hard to see in 2-D.

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Thanks Bigboyrocky :)
Kerilli - apparently his girth is further forward than his withers and therefore a lot of saddles sit too much over his shoulders :-/ We currently compete at about 1m sj and xc and prelim dressage and i dont think we'd go much higher than 1m10 out competing (he might be able to but i dont think i would be brave enough! ;) ) so we are know where near the fantastic things you have done :)