is a friend for her a good idea?

fankino04

Visit site
I moved my mare to a new yard in October and she seemed to settle immediately but in the last few weeks she has really become a nightmare running up and down the fence line and shouting to come in, as I work full time she has always been late coming in but has always settled after an initial mad 5 minutes when most of the horses came in ( she had a neighbour that lived out 24/7 so was never totally alone) when the live out horse had to come in I started to pay yard owner to bring her in with the others but even this hasn't worked as she just loses the plot at anytime in the field. I am considering getting a companion on loan to go in the same paddock as her which can stay out all the time as the cost of having her brought in each night is the same as grass livery and at least I will have something else to ride which may help with my ongoing confidence issues.
Sorry for length of post and well dine to anyone who made it this far.

flirtygerty

Visit site
I don't think a companion would work as when she is brought in , it doesn't help and you said the behaviour is happening anytime in the field, not just when she is alone.
This is just my opinion, not a lot of help, sorry

fankino04

Visit site
She's not hungry but possibly a bit bored so maybe a companion in with her all the time she is out would give her someone to play with but can't help thinking it may just make things worse in the long run as she will get clingy and be a nightmare when she comes in without it, but would really like a nice confidence giver to ride to build myself back up again and if this worked then I could afford the second horse, obviously my mare would have to ne put in her stable before I got her friend in to ride.

lochpearl

Visit site
I think a companion wouldn't be fair - what would happen to that when she is brought in? would it have to stay out alone? Taking a friend away that has been out with the horse all day is not nice for any horses.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why not just turn her out with the other horses at the yard, and have her brought in with them?

Is there a reason for her isolation??

fankino04

Visit site
She isn't isolated they just all have individual paddocks that are split up with electric fences so she has horses on all sides of her and she comes in when they do but some days has just turned herself inside out for no good reason

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She isn't isolated they just all have individual paddocks that are split up with electric fences so she has horses on all sides of her and she comes in when they do but some days has just turned herself inside out for no good reason

Ah, ok.

In that case, let her get on with it. Have her brought in by the YO when the others are brought in (making sure she is not last). She'll soon settle to it.