Is a Grackle and a Cheltenham Gag ok to use together?

mastermax

Visit site
Sorry if this seems a dumb question but after seriously no brakes or control in a universal and cavasson noseband, I have just found out from his previous owner that he has to have a grackle for fast work ie hunting as his crosses and sets his jaw. He is an immensely strong thick set cob at 15hh. I have ridden him this evening in a cheltenham with a lozenge as he hates single joint and he went very well in it although I realise I cant "test" it til Saturday. So really just wondering if it is considered ok to put the grackle on with this bit. Many thanks

old hand

Visit site
Not really, the gag action needs the mouth to open for it to rise up and work correctly. Did use one on my Grade A but did not do up the nose end tight, you should be able to get two fingers in any noseband. the topend may stop him crossing his jaw if he isnt that persistent. How about a kineton but that would work better with a snaffle of some sort? I had a cleveland bay x arab/welsh that was built similarly, rode him in a vulcanite pelham but schooled him in a french eggbut snaffle. Schooling is the real answer he needs to learn to lighten and soften his jaw, turned my downhill barge into a dressage horse that won at riding club area and was in the first three dressage at every event he went to. Its hard work to start with but well worth it, and you will need a good pair of eyes on the ground. Good luck.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
The most important thing on the hunting field for yours and everyone elses safety and enjoyment is brakes!!! So if it works use it. I have used a Cheltenham and flash...it was the only thing that worked on my Shire cross. If all I had done was school him he would never have hunted as he had no mouth whatsoever !!!

Just try it and take it from there. The worse ever feeling is knowing that you cannot stop.

mastermax

Visit site
Many thanks for all your replies. He schools beautifully in a french link baucher and hacks fine in a snaffle but like you all say, brakes are paramount. I will try this combination and fingers crossed I will stop. He is amazingly well behaved in between runs but crosses to the "dark side of the anti-christ" on anything over a trot. Many thanks again.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I am currently hunting my new horse in a grackle and a Neue Schule Nelson gag which seems to work well.

I used to hunt my old 15hh cob in a cheltenham gag and grackle - it was the only thing that worked!!