Is anyone else’s horse being a complete fart at the moment?

Sprat

Visit site
Mine seems to have lost her marbles.

Rode in the week and it was like being sat on an unexploded bomb, poncing and passaging around.
Fresh as a daisy and mental with it, I had to resign to lunging her yesterday as everytime I popped my foot in the stirrup she went bronking off down the school.

Fab lesson this morning where I managed to harness the fresh energy, but she has been a total baggage on the ground. Then decided for the first time in 6 months, she would have a paddy about loading to come home, reared in the trailer and slit her face open. She is now to be known as scar face.

Is anyone else’s going a bit nuts? I’m putting it down to reduced turnout and being fully clipped out, but I do hope it calms down soon.

J_sarahd

Visit site
My share pony seems to have gone the opposite way. He’s a total slug at the moment. Normally very responsive off the leg, but recently I’m having trouble even getting him into trot let alone maintaining an active rhythm! Then again, he’s not clipped yet so possibly why.

blitznbobs

Visit site
My share pony seems to have gone the opposite way. He’s a total slug at the moment. Normally very responsive off the leg, but recently I’m having trouble even getting him into trot let alone maintaining an active rhythm! Then again, he’s not clipped yet so possibly why.
Yes my chaps a bit like this at the mo - only had him 10 days and due to a Miriad of life he’s not been ridden for 3 days - so it was with trepidation I swung my bum into the saddle this morning and what did I get? A horse that thought that walking out was for other horses and Trot was a bit too much of an effort — it’s a nice change as my other one is like sitting on an unexplored bomb all year round!

scats

Visit site
When I was tipping my wheelie this morning, I glanced over to one of the resting paddocks and saw a huge black haylage wrap was stuck in the fence/hedge, obviously blown there yesterday on the storm. Made a mental note to get it later. Then promptly forgot.

About 3.45pm I head out on Millie around our farm paths to go to our back 2 acre field which we are using as a riding/fitness field at the moment. Just as we are heading down the path, Millie suddenly grows about 3hands and stops dead. She had spotted it. I could actually feel her heart beating through her saddle. Daylight was fading and I was loathe to get off and put her back while I sorted the blasted bag out so I decided she was going to have to get on with it. Managed to piaffe our way to the back field, sitting on an unexplored bomb, where she then had a fantastic view of this scary black thing for our whole session. I managed to keep her mostly focused, but she had an ear locked onto the thing so I was well aware that any noise from that direction and I was likely heading for a hasty retreat!
Fortunately she managed to contain herself, but we had some more dramatics on the way back past it as of course now it was fading daylight.

I shall be removing the thing in daylight tomorrow!

skint1

Visit site
I think it is silly season for most horses. Went for a hack today with a friend and our two fairly middle aged geldings with their various arthritic joints and the wisdom of years etc - they were on it like a car bonnet the whole way round. It was nice to see them both so full of vigour but I do look forward to the switch back to the more sanguine summer mode :)

Myloubylou

Visit site
Seems like a lot of people’s horses are being mega silly. My older horse is super chilled so don’t no if usual behaviour for this time of year. My younger one is snorty & leaves are definitely going to eat her.

Reactions: DD

ameeyal

Visit site
I'm strip grazing my field as I have loads of grass, and my 2 ridden horses who are normally lazy are dancing and prancing, not good for my friend this morning who is 70 years old.

Pc2003

Visit site
I had 3 separate people at the yard come up to me today and say “oh your 2 were so funny earlier, doing laps of the field full pelt”
All my 2 seem to do at the moment is canter/gallop round the field. Pretty much all the time

BBP

Visit site
I’m feeling a bit smug that mine is being a little super star, hacking alone nicely even after a few days off, schooling like a dream. But then he did spend the first 6 or 7 years finding high octane ways to keep me awake so I think I’m due some good behaviour!

ihatework

Visit site
Smug alert - mine has just been upped to competition cubes and had a full clip on Friday. Hacked out in the icy wind and rain on Saturday and was as good as gold!

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine thought a bobble hat (on someone's head) walking along a hedge line was the scariest thing EVER yesterday, even though he saw it was attached to a person...

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Jenny is whizzy at the best of times but at the moment she is a total Tigger. At the dressage lesson yesterday the instructor told Izzy to just give her a good canter round to get the wiggles out before they tried to do any work. She literally squeaked in excitement as she hurtled round. If ever a pony was going to launch into a volley of high-jinks bucks it would have been then. But she restrained herself and just stuck to squeaking and speed!

sportsmansB

Visit site
I got chucked last Monday from my normally saintly schoolmaster and we still don't know what did it, but I don't think hes ever moved sideways and bronced so fast...
Hes been ridden every day since, and yesterday was jumped and then put in the field (where he ran about like such an eejit he had to come back in) and THEN taken for a hack where he played googley eyes at absolutely everything (some invisible things) and danced past under protest- while the three-weeks-backed 4yo who we were supposed to be nannying dandered along behind completely oblivious
Its definitely silly season...

Sprat

Visit site
I got chucked last Monday from my normally saintly schoolmaster and we still don't know what did it, but I don't think hes ever moved sideways and bronced so fast...
Hes been ridden every day since, and yesterday was jumped and then put in the field (where he ran about like such an eejit he had to come back in) and THEN taken for a hack where he played googley eyes at absolutely everything (some invisible things) and danced past under protest- while the three-weeks-backed 4yo who we were supposed to be nannying dandered along behind completely oblivious
Its definitely silly season...

Flip, hope you're ok as well!

As awful as it is hearing that everyone is having issues, I'm quite glad it's not just me.

Mine will be ridden everyday possible from now until her fluff grows back, I can't be doing with the silliness.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have a bluish-purple bruise that makes skirts for christmas parties a complete no-no but other than that I'm grand lol
He's gone hyper sensitive and just leaps about at the slightest thing... He's 13 and normally a bit of a kick along!!
I only clipped him off half his neck and his belly so he doesn't even really have that excuse... We had a BIG TALK yesterday about how much better it would be if he could not be a loon in the field because then he would actually be allowed to stay out and chill out, but hes having none of it
Eejit

HEM

Visit site
The horse I am riding at the moment has started stopping dead in his tracks for no apparent reason when I am on the ground leading him and I cannot move the giant lump for the life of me ... of course until he decides he wants to start moving again and then gives me the look of "oh you wanted me to move? why didn't you just say so?"

I have put it down to the weather!!

Archangel

Visit site
There are monsters everywhere.
There was one hiding in the grit bin this morning and the big horse had to passage up the road with his tail in the air (he is 25).

Pippity

Visit site
On Wednesday, mine decided the Shetland that she sees every day was terrifying. I can only assume it's because she was out for a walk with her owner, rather than being in her field.

She was clipped on Saturday, so I'm expecting riding this evening to be quite exciting. ('Exciting'. The worst she's ever done is jump in place, snort and toss her head a bit. I've got so used to her steadiness after my old share horse's tendency to teleport at the slightest whiff of something scary.)

thommackintosh

Visit site
Falling leaves are spook-inducing, squirrels running across our path are terrifying and God help us if another cyclist comes up behind us. The martyr in me quite enjoys how fresh the big chap is - though I could do without the constant piaffe on the homeward stretch of our hacks.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
My normally stupid spooky mare who loves nothing more than going around with her head in the air has turned into a dressage diva over the last 2 weeks....Loving it :D

fidleyspromise

Visit site
We're in good company then :p

My 16 year old highland mare went out a hack yesterday and I think we cantered most of it. - any time I asked for trot we were off like the clappers