Is anyone else horse shopping at the moment?

Tash88

Visit site
Hi,

I haven't been on the forum for ages so I doubt any of you will remember my 'story', but a couple of months ago I made the very difficult and sad decision to retire my lovely WB x TB. He is still in my care and enjoying a life of leisure. I have just started the search for his little brother/sister! I'm excited but finding it all rather daunting; this will be my third horse and this is the first time I have looked 'properly' as I had my first on full loan for four years then my second I bought from my then YO, I have had him for six years.

I am experienced and capable but nervous, luckily I have a very experienced YO/friend/instructor who is helping me and coming to viewings. I went to see one at the weekend but his conformation wasn't great and he wasn't sound when the dealer rode him, so I walked away. It was a shame but good to get the first viewing done and break the ice.

It would be good to have a thread with other people who are going through the same thing, maybe because I'm nosy and interested in others' experiences but also because it could be a good source of support? I think my horsey friends are getting bored of me already!

Also any tips/advice welcome.

Thanks,

Tash x

Lintel

Visit site
So jealous. I'm not on the look out at the minute, wish I was but I do not have the time not finances at present!
But I'd love to watch the horsey hunt thread, it would be interesting to see what you all end up with :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
I'm browsing for a saintly first ridden -- few and far between ... needs to be half dead but there aren't many (any) that I can find so far .

when you think about it someone would have to be off your rocker to advertise anything as saintly or bombproof these days!

Wheels

Visit site
Sympathies lol

I had to retire my 8 year old early on this year and then bought a new horse in the summer - looking at first was painful but then I enlisted the help of an agent in Ireland and it was the most pain free purchase I've ever made :D

Charlie007

Visit site
I spent the summer horse shopping. It was an absolute nightmare! ! Bought the 10th one I viewed and I'm so happy with him. No advice other than your gut feeling can count for a lot!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm browsing for a saintly first ridden -- few and far between ... needs to be half dead but there aren't many (any) that I can find so far .

I 'hope' I've found one! Dealer. Ireland. First timer. Hope I'm not done!! Nervous to say the least, due to arrive Thursday. Along with a saintly cob... eek.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I was.... popped to the sales and picked one up :D job done! Fortunately my list of criteria was pretty short so there were a few options. So far I'm pretty pleased with my purchase.. but I had low expectations;)

I'd just suggest being as flexible as you can around details... If you think you want a gelding, don't discount a mare if she ticks all the other boxes, etc. Have fun shopping:)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am sort of looking .

Another?

I'm on the hunt for a young unbroken PRE or Luso to mature no more than 16hh.

Saw a lovely one today but suddenly there was VAT to pay and it went out of my budget. I'm a bit cross, there was no mention of it on the advert and I travelled a long way.

Friend is just trying to find a horse that is a) fit to present to a vet (several rejected on video, clearly lame, four rejected on viewing, clearly lame) b) will pass a vet when presented (two failed so far). Her spec is 15 to 16 hands, 5- 10 years old, three good paces and ability to be taught to pop a 90cm course. Seeing plenty of ads, just not seeing sound sane horses.

Tash88

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

I'm seriously considering a trip to Ireland in the New Year, although that would mean having to save up a bit more first.

I am being as flexible as I can be and looking at all sorts of breeds, as long as it is sound, sane and has potential for dressage/showing. More dressage than showing and with my low-ish (again flexible for the right horse) budget I'm not really looking for something that will go far at county level.

I keep seeing horses that I like the look of, then I enquire and it's been sold!!

Keep reminding myself that this period will not be for long in the grand scheme of things once I have found my next partner.

Tash88

Visit site
I spent the summer horse shopping. It was an absolute nightmare! ! Bought the 10th one I viewed and I'm so happy with him. No advice other than your gut feeling can count for a lot!!

Agree - I am certainly listening to my gut instincts.

What did you buy Charlie? So pleased you are happy.

Charlie007

Visit site
Agree - I am certainly listening to my gut instincts.

What did you buy Charlie? So pleased you are happy.

I went looking with a totally open mind. As soon as I sat on him I felt safe unlike the others!! 16.2 ex national hunt 11yo. Real old fashioned chunky tb. An absolute saint of a horse. Jumps for fun!! No schooling but that's what I like to do so plenty to work on. Hacks alone and in company. Been out to 2 different venues and couldn't ask for an easier horse. Good luck in your search x

ihatework

Visit site
Well I managed to buy one when I wasn't really looking for myself, lol!
But failed to buy another one over the last 5-6 months, 2 failed vettings and many others just not up to scratch. Flying to Ireland this week to hopefully find something!

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I found my perfect pony but cannot ride him now because my arthritis has got too bad. So, I am now starting to 'shop' for a rider for a 14.1 chestnut cob! The problem is he is on schooling livery with a Grand Prix dressage rider so I now have unrealistic expectations :D In reality he would be perfect for a competent lightweight adult to start at BE Novice/Elementary and take forward, or have a lot of fun doing TREC.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I found my perfect pony but cannot ride him now because my arthritis has got too bad. So, I am now starting to 'shop' for a rider for a 14.1 chestnut cob! The problem is he is on schooling livery with a Grand Prix dressage rider so I now have unrealistic expectations :D In reality he would be perfect for a competent lightweight adult to start at BE Novice/Elementary and take forward, or have a lot of fun doing TREC.

Could you drive? I'm not well enough to ride but can manage driving and you can do driving TREC and all sorts :biggrin3:

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Where are you all!?? My mare has been on sales livery for two months now! She's exactly as you all want! She's priced right (£4K for those nosey) and all I got when I tried myself was wannabes or dreamers etc starting to think the sales team just like riding her and want to keep her!

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Could you drive? I'm not well enough to ride but can manage driving and you can do driving TREC and all sorts :biggrin3:

Yes - driving is definitely an option. I long-rein him out and about a couple of times a week at my slightly slow walking pace! After some discussion with his trainer I decided to wait a bit as she has worked hard on getting him to push from behind rather than full from the front if that makes sense? We felt that driving him at the moment might be counterproductive but I guess a really good driving trainer wouldn't allow him fall onto his shoulders? I'd love to see him out doing some ridden dressage as he has some cracking paces. I'm ending up with a little cob with a lot of fancy moves:)

spacefaer

Visit site
I "accidentally" bought the most lovely four year old last month - not part of the plan, as I don't want a four year old and I only have 5 stables, with (now) 6 horses, so said lovely 4 yr old is sat in a field being fluffy for a bit.

I'll now have to decide which of the others to sell to make a stable for him, as I don't want him out all winter.

What are you sort-of looking for, Goldenstar?

gunnergundog

Visit site
I'm sort of window shopping at the moment. I have a horse that is unlikely to be with us in three to six months time so am keeping an eye open but not yet ready to travel length and breadth of country.

R2D2

Visit site
I'm not horse shopping now, but I was last year. I feel for you, while it is exciting, it is also a horrible process. The lies people will tell to sell a horse never fail to amaze me, and that's before you get to the people that change their mind just when you think you've found something suitable.

stormox

Visit site
I 'hope' I've found one! Dealer. Ireland. First timer. Hope I'm not done!! Nervous to say the least, due to arrive Thursday. Along with a saintly cob... eek.[/QUOTE ]
Have you been to see him? I think buying unseen is very dodgy. I know some very dubious dealers both here (Ireland) and Uk. Get them in, tart them up, pretty pics and sell as fast as possible. No time to assess temperament or anything, in out asap. Minimum paid out on keep then.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm not looking *yet* but am half keeping an eye on the market in case something I cannot afford to miss falls into my lap. Both mine and my share horse are 21 now with a couple of little issues so are starting to slow down. The only problem is there's no room at the yard at the moment so in the real world I have to wait for a space before I can look properly. The next stable that becomes free is mine and then I can start. Might be next week might take 2 years! I have a back up plan if Mr Perfect steals my heart though, just have to convince my friend to have one of them at hers until there's room at the yard.

rowan666

Visit site
when you think about it someone would have to be off your rocker to advertise anything as saintly or bombproof these days!
This is so true It's ridiculous! I've just put an ad up for my DD's pony (she lost interest) who is pretty dam perfect tbh but it's taken me weeks to write because I'm paranoid about the what if by some fluke a kid came off and I was accused of false advertising despite having a tonne of videos and people who sing her praises! And she's only for loan because I know I'd be very hard pushed to replace her if needed!

When I loan the mare out I will be looking for a project, I don't know what type of project yet but I'll know it when I see it haha

Crazydancer

Visit site
I'm also hunting, in a similar situation. I've had my 14.2hh for 24 yrs and he's now on light duties only, he will stay with me as a pet as long as he's fit and happy.
He's always been such a fun but safe, sensible hack, and finding one I like the 'look' plus the personality, is proving to be tough. I've been looking for about 3 months and only viewed one, which wasn't right for me. I saw another I liked but he sold straight away. I've never really ridden big horses so aiming for around 15/15.2hh and I have a weakness for chunky Arabs/ArabX. That really limits the search!!
I have another local friend also looking, and having a tough time as well, travelling miles to see a horse that is not as described..... it' a minefield.