Is anyone feeding new hay yet?

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - I've just ordered my first batch of new hay - called the supplier to order and he said he had some new hay so I ordered 2 bales (I order 4 bales a week as have limited storage) and 2 bales of last year's hay. He wasn't so keen on the last lot of old hay which was slightly different so I thought I could mix it with the new hay.

I should have asked him when it was baled and will only feed it if it is dry, and will be mixing it with the old hay, 1/4 new to 3/4 old to start with. Does this sound okay? I've never used new hay so early before I don't think and I'm a bit nervous! I wouldn't say my horse is a major laminitis risk but he does have a sensitive tummy due to having ulcers in the past. At the moment he is out in a bare-ish paddock with hay for approx. 7 hours and a paddock with long hay-like grass for approx. 2 hours each day. This isn't because of his weight per se, but because this is his individual paddock which has been harrowed and where he is settled.

Thanks in advance :)

meleeka

Visit site
No new hay here yet either. My supplier has almost run out of last years so I won’t have the option, i’ll have to feed it straight away. I just try not to give them too much at once (they are out on a bare paddock) but the hay is always very well made and bone dry. it’s not the first time this has happened and I’ve never had a problem.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Yes, I've been feeding baled last week's hay to my 4 this week :)

It's beautiful, clean, well made timothy.

However, they are only in for about 6 hours during the day, so 18 hours grazing as normal. So only get about a leaf or 2 each per day.

If they were stabled overnight I'd be mixing at least 50:50 for a couple of weeks.

PurBee

Visit site
Only hay above 20% moisture has a risk of causing gastro issues as the moisture will cause slight heating - so if the bales are warm….small squares rarely are….or they feel damp inside….they hopefully shouldnt!…then go easy.

But if very dry, smelling good, you really should be ok.

I fed mine a few kg’s while i was baling - they loved it, it was bone dry, had sun cured for days in the field. Theyre still alive and thriving. Just watch damp hay/warm bales….it means they’re composting and its the composting microbes which cause gastro upset.

oldie48

Visit site
Mine is still standing (well lying) in the fields as it's been so wet. It really does need to dry up soon. A car came up our lane on Sunday going too fast, lost control, went through our hedge on two wheels and basically aquaplaned for 40 metres through the long wet grass eventually burying itself in the hedge dividing our field from the next one. How he missed the road sign, oak tree and overhanging branch is a miracle, car is still marooned in the hedge and looks like a right off!

Kaycee

Visit site
Yes we are feeding new hay, and always have done in the summer, for many years. As long as it is properly dry then there are no issues. We always mix with old hay for the first few days.

Surbie

Visit site
The yard I'm on has just had a delivery of last year's meadow hay but the next one, in a couple of weeks, will be new hay.I'll save a couple of old bales to mix in. My local RDA is on new hay - it's quite green but it's dry.

southerncomfort

Visit site
No new hay here yet either. My supplier has almost run out of last years so I won’t have the option, i’ll have to feed it straight away. I just try not to give them too much at once (they are out on a bare paddock) but the hay is always very well made and bone dry. it’s not the first time this has happened and I’ve never had a problem.

This is our situation.

I've only got 2 old bales left and none of our suppliers have anything left.

So we've bought a load of new hay (very dry but green!) which I'm gradually introducing to 2 of the ponies and holding the old stuff back for my mini shetland.

It's not ideal but I doubt they will come to any harm.

Our problem is that our grazing never recovered from a winter and spring of being covered in either several inches of rain water or snow. Then it was so slow to get growing that they are basically just eating it as it appears so I'm having to supplement with hay.

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you all - that has put my mind at rest! This is my first spring of buying my own hay in about 6 years so it's been a while and I can't remember when I used to start feeding new hay.

I'll start mixing it from this evening, no doubt my horse will pick the new hay out and leave the old, but as long as he's eating more than he has been for the last few days I won't worry too much. I trust my supplier and the weather around here has been awful lately so it couldn't have been cut that recently.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
We still waiting for it to be cut so wet at the moment, when it’s first baled I usually wait a few weeks until I know it’s dry, but my friend uses it straight away, I always mix 3/4 old to handful of new for first week or so, in fact I do the same when I start a new bale regardless I always mix what’s left of previous bale with the next bale when I first open one every time so he isn’t too picky

Tash88

Visit site
As an update - it’s definitely dry and smells absolutely gorgeous! I’m sure he will like it, maybe a bit too much…