Is Cornwall really too far?

jrp204

Visit site
I have had our boy advertised, nice little comp horse, ads in H&H, HQ & HD on and off for the past 2 months. Initially get lots of interest but as soon as you say where you are everything goes dead. A friend is also in the same boat. Both horses are realistically priced (IMO), ads read well with good pics, so I assume it is the fact of where we are.
What would you do? Sending ours off somewhere to be sold on is not really an option as i couldn't afford the sales livery and commission, unless he sold for 2k more than i am asking, dropping the price drastically would be giving him away and daughter just wouldn't sell him or do we just keep him and keep on with what he's good at rather than what my daughter wants to do.
Quandry!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Have to admit that I avoid horses for sale in Cornwall and Scotland as I'm based in the Midlands, unless I've exhausted all nearer options.

Travelling to view and then returning with transport adds to time and cost with current fuel prices.

Flame_

Visit site
Yes, Cornwall's too far for me and I'll travel up to five hours away to view horses. Cornwall wouldn't be possible in a day.

Surely its not too far for plenty of people down south though. Good luck with it.

TED2010

Visit site
PM me with link to ad or details if you like, I am in Devon and know a few people looking, might even be looking myself!? ....... ;)

be positive

Visit site
Even living in Somerset I rarely phone about horses in Cornwall, it just seems easier to go up or across to view, especially competition horses as you can usually do 2 in one trip to places with good facilities for trial available.

It would help reduce unwanted calls if you put on the ad where you are, I dont phone if there is no county or area on an ad.

Sales livery is not always too expensive, I do it and often get more than the owners want as my area is very accessible to many viewers from most of the south.

fruity

Visit site
Don't dispair! I bought my mare from Cornwall and i live in Bucks. TBH won't be going that far ever again though! We made a weekend of it and took out little boy to the beach etc.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Having been to see a few horses recently that were, shall we say, not quite what i was expecting, I'm increasingly unwilling to travel long distances as its such a big investment in time and fuel.

On the other hand, no-one from the other end of the country who has rung up about my wanted ads has offered to send a video, which would certainly help me be more certain that the horse would be worth the trip.

maggiehorse

Visit site
hi i,m in bodmin cornwall with a 3 yr tb x id old for sale , had a fair few calls so far and a veiwing booked for tomorrow, they are coming from wilts, when we were looking for a event horse we went to beds to buy him , trip of 6 hours each way

maisie06

Visit site
I would go to Cornwall and I'm in sussex - I wouldn't go to scotland though!! No offence that is too far!!

bumper

Visit site
I'm in Cornwall (far West, @30 miles from Land's End) and I bought my lad from Yorkshire! Yes, I think it does put people off.
sidewaysonacob has a good point: vids DO help (if you haven't done it already).

measles

Visit site
Interesting to hear that some will travel and other not. Completely agree that lots of photos and video are vital before making a long trip.

We are in Scotland but very close to the two largest airports and main motorways. Distance doesnt seem to be an issue for the people who buy the horses we have to produce. In fact, we have sold two to Cornwall and bought younger son's 11.2 having flown to Devon!

Much cheaper to fly to see the right horse or pony than spend endless weekends in the car looking at ones not as described.

Andiamo

Visit site
I'm in Hampshire - I would go to Cornwall - but I would need to see a good quality recent video of the horse - walk, trot, canter on both reins - and anything else that the horse can do. If I liked the movement / temperament of the horse - I would definitely travel to see it.
I was down in Cornwall a couple of years ago, and found good horses to be much more reasonably priced than they are in the home counties.

tinap

Visit site
Yea sorry bit far for me! I'm in s.yorks.

Saying that, I've had people ring & trying to arrange to see my boy that's for sale from further away than what you are to me (flight/boat involved!!) So I'm sure if he/she really appeals to someone, they would travel xx

Luci07

Visit site
I am in Surrey and that was too far when I was looking. However, if you have a friend also selling something similiar why not see if you can put this on the ad to show there were a couple of horses which could be seen at the same time? If there had been a couple of real possibilities then I might have. However petrol being as much as it is, and needing a couple of visits plus time means I stayed within a 2 hour radius of home when I hindered. True to form after wasting time and money traveling I ended up buying a horse some 3 miles from home by word of mouth..

jrp204

Visit site
I have plenty of vids although i haven't put them on the ad, i do tell people when they ring though. If you google his name it comes up with comp results, vids and pro pics. Perhaps i'll put on the ad 'vids available'

RULEMI

Visit site
Hi

I am in Cornwall and looking to buy a horse. I have travelled 100 miles to look at a horse and still looking

L&M

Visit site
Cornwall would be a no for me too I am afraid.

I find it hard to travel more than 3 hrs to view a horse, mainly due to lack of time and a yard of horses left at home that would need attending to in my abscense. Also if I drive for 3 hrs, then spend a couple of hours trying a horse, then have a 3 hr return journey, it makes for a very knackering day, coupled with diesel costs.

I bought my last horse from Pembrokeshire and found the drive there and back in the lorry a killer - fortunately a friend came with me to keep me awake and entertained!