Is he going to be mature enough to show?

Flash_28

Visit site
Hello

I am thinking of possibly taking little Foaly to Kent County this July. While I know it is a few months off yet I am already concerned if Foaly is mature enough or not and don’t want to waste our time or get excited for nothing. At almost 2 he is still a little tiddler due to his poor start in life. He is currently a little smidge under 14hh so has gained a few inches in height since coming home but is yet to have gone bum high so I’m guessing he hasn’t started to grow properly yet. I don’t really have any recent pics, only some end of autumn time so I can’t show you what he currently looks like. I was hoping people would post some images of their 2 yo’s or soon to be 2yo’s so I can see just how far behind he is. I will try to get some up to date pics of the little guy this weekend.

Thank you :)

TangoCurly

Visit site
Firstly, it depends what sort of class you intend to show him in.

Secondly, it depens what your reason for showing him are, is it to broaden his education, to give you a deadline to have taught him to stand still and trot up nicely, is it to increase his value (assuming you win!), or is it because you are competitive? None of these reasons are right or wrong, but if it is for the first two reasons, then it doesn't matter if he is a hand shorter than the others in the ring! If you are going as you like to compete or to increase his value, then maybe it isn't such a good idea.

I do think aiming for a county show is a brilliant way to make sure you get on with the associated training for showing, and is great education for a young horse though, and it was for those reasons that I took my far too small sports horse county showing for the last two summers!

bye!

Flash_28

Visit site
Firstly, it depends what sort of class you intend to show him in.

Secondly, it depens what your reason for showing him are, is it to broaden his education, to give you a deadline to have taught him to stand still and trot up nicely, is it to increase his value (assuming you win!), or is it because you are competitive? None of these reasons are right or wrong, but if it is for the first two reasons, then it doesn't matter if he is a hand shorter than the others in the ring! If you are going as you like to compete or to increase his value, then maybe it isn't such a good idea.

I do think aiming for a county show is a brilliant way to make sure you get on with the associated training for showing, and is great education for a young horse though, and it was for those reasons that I took my far too small sports horse county showing for the last two summers!

bye!

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of entering him into a 2yo potential sports horse class as he's an ISH. Not having shown a youngster before or done much showing at all really I wanna have a bit of a look around to see if it's right or not.

I would like to get him out and about to some shows this year as I think it will be good for his education and get him used to the atomsphere, give us something to work to and I just wanna show him off! hehe I would like to take him to a county show (even if it's not this year) as he has some good breeding and I don't want to waste his potential. While I don't want to waste his potential I don't want to push him too much too soon. I was thinking of taking him to a local show and see how we get on. Then I'll try to decide I guess.

Thanks again for your reply. :)

Magicmadge

Visit site
I have a rising 2 year old filly and i am going to get her out this year to a few local shows. She won't win anything, i know that before we start as she is a bit cow hocked and of indiscriminate breeding ( i bought the pony in foal to a stallion unknown, but looking at the filly, definatley a cob). I am taking her in best condition classes only for the education. She is out of a 12.1 - 2 pony and is currently 13.2 so i am expecting her to make up to 14.2. If i were you i would do the local youngstock classes first and see how you do, go out to the bigger shows and check ot the standard of competition in the sports horse classes.

Tempi

Visit site
What i did with Jupi last year was just take him to local shows and walked him around, let him stand and watch the classes and let him get used to the horses warming up cantering around him etc. Much cheaper than actually entering a class and a lot less hassle - i find i worry too much and i also hate showing so this way it eliminated my stress as took the pressure off me and we could just relax and wander around for a few hours. He also stood on the lorry to get used to being left aswell and was as good as gold. I plan on doing the same again this year.

I did email or phone the show organisers that i went to to check it was ok that i did this before hand.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
I took my yearling to Kent county last year who is also a tiddler compared to those bred for showing!! As above if your just going to gain experience and not bothered bout winning then go for it, it all helps :)

If your going to be competitive I wouldn't bother, I'm certainly not going back this year. The 2yr olds I see last year and were HugE you'd think they were 3 or 4!! Very nice horses but we just don't stand a chance :( we didn't get placed last year, Ron looked like a real baby compared to those big guys.

Irishlife

Visit site
Sadly youngstock showing has become extremely competitive and even here where once we showed our horses a little on the "raw" side, the show rings are full of very mature looking horses bursting out with muscle and condition.

It is no longer enough to show an unconditioned youngster and often to their detriment, too many youngsters are stuffed full of supplements and hard feed, lunged and even yearlings spend loads of time on horse walkers. I think steroids have crept into the equation too in some cases.

Your horse is on the small side for an ISH at this age, my 2yo who is a late June filly is 15.2hh without any show preparation unless he is not going to make a lot of height anyway.

We do show our young horses and do have success but we would do a whole lot better if we were to overfeed and work the babies. At one All Ireland final we were told it was a pity our yearling was lacking condition but to me he was in perfect shape for his age. There are show horses and then there are horses. Quite often the show horses don't do a lot under saddle when it comes to it.

Show for education and fun but pretty boy competitions don't mean much when they get to 3 and 4 good luck !!!:)

ruby1

Visit site
Totally agree with Irishlife on this one,showing is a very hard game these days and if your taking your babies out for an education then i would certainly go ahead.

We have done a bit of showing previously and its not always so easy to take,one day you can be at the top of the line and the next at the bottom its just how it goes.

I would never consider over feeding or working young horses for the sake of a rossette and a few more bucks on the price tag,if thier good enough then well done and if not then they deserve the time to mature. I don't know so much about the height thing but i've seen lots of smaller ones do very well.

Sometimes you never know unless you go.

3DE

Visit site
2 is a bad age :( They seem to win as really striking yearlings or strapping 3 year olds. 2 is an ugly duckling stage TBH. It's a great experience though! For you and the horse... Just do't be disheartened if you don't get anywhere - there's always next year :)

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I'd like to know the answer to this for my rising 2yo too, here's a few pics for everyone and it'll give you an idea of a 2yo flash, I'll try not to overload.

dants12.jpg

Dants1.jpg

dants14.jpg

dants5.jpg

dants7.jpg

dants10.jpg

sorry the front and back aren't straight, i did try but he wasnt for playing lol
ps, mane has been pulled since these were taken on jan 3rd this year - any other advice appreciated.

I also agree with Irishlife & Ruby1 - too many people overproduce youngsters, I want my horse to last a lifetime, not 5 minutes!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I like him :)

We went county showing last year with my then yearling - we got two fourths and got moved up by the judge twice. Showing really isn't my bag and Wolf was very different to anything in his classes, so I really wasn't expecting any placings and I was very chuffed.

34128_1315924898988_1256686644_30776361_4087674_n.jpg

We went to a bigger show because it was excellent life experience for him: monster trucks, wagons, trailers, cattle trucks, trade stands, scooters, airplane displays, shire horses, horse and carts, baby buggies, a display of foxhounds, vintage tractors, etc etc. I was really chuffed with how well he behaved, and what's more important for a potential baby endurance horse, how well he ate and drank away from home....

It's difficult with youngsters as they change from day to day. And you can guarantee that the day they wake up and go 'Today, Matthew, I am going to look like a cut and shut' is the day you want to take them showing. I think if you go with the aim of winning at that level when it's not really your bag and you haven't been throwing everything in to show prep for months, you may come home disappointed, but if you go with the intention of going with the aim of having a laugh and getting as much life experience as possible, you can only ever be pleasantly surprised.

I haven't decided what we're going to do this year. One thing is for sure, though, we're goin' native, as I've had enough of all the plucking and preening and plaiting - Wolf is meant to be hairy.

163953_1491406885928_1256686644_31139965_4968906_n.jpg

cundlegreen

Visit site
I breed Sports Horses to make 15.2hh. They've done very well at County level as foals and yearlings, but then go down the line at two, due to all the 16 hand two year olds out there. Thats why I concentrate on the Futurity as height doesn't matter. Navalgem, I really like the way yours moves, how is he bred??

winchester

Visit site
The thing you have to remember with youngsters is - you cant plan anything!!!

From week to week they seem to change shape, go bum high, look like the most incredible horse you have ever seen, then go like the Jolly Green giant! ..and on top of that that - you then have either the angelic horse that shows off all the hard work you have done to prepare, trotting nicely, being so well behaved - or the one that you get off the lorry like he has never been touched before and all you want to do is stick him back up the ramp again and drive off hoping that nobody noticed!!

We done lots of practacing at home - in the school, running up, putting a bit in, standing to be plaited - here we are in the school at home having a practice session...

Foal3.jpg

I took my yearling out to 2 local shows last spring - he was a bit shell shocked at the first and would have jumped on my lap if he could - but was a good boy and thought all our hard work had paid off. He looked lovely and very mature for his age!

The next show about a month later was well - a little different - throwing himself around wouldnt stand still and when we went to trot dug his heels in looked at me as if to say - are you having a laugh - im not running!!!

We then went to Herts County - as many will know a very lively show i was very worried as he had gone very lanky and a bit ribby - and against the stapping 2 and 3 year olds looked like a little weed - but he moved lovely and really paid off and came an incredible 3rd out of about 13! Was so pleased!

BabyHerts1.jpg

He has been out all winter and planning to take him out to a few more this year.

Honest with County shows you have to enter so far in advance just go for it!!!! Book up and decide in the morning if you will go or not (yes you will lose your entry fee) but if it was me i would go!! Just for the experience - you will enjoy it and i bet your youngster will too!!!

Last edited:

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Esther - lovely pics, you're even smiling when you run! Fab! :D Think mine will be more of a grimace! haha and
And you can guarantee that the day they wake up and go 'Today, Matthew, I am going to look like a cut and shut' is the day you want to take them showing.
had me rofl! I know exactly what you mean lol.

Cundlegreen - that's my worry, that because he's on the smaller side he'll be placed down the line. I guess it depends on the judge.
He's by Coriano out of Weideminka (Lupicor x Furore x Topas) The dam's grand dam has a sport dr predicate and the mare is from the same mareline, family etc as Moorlands Totilas so that must be where part of the movement comes from. His great grand dam Nadiminka is the full sister to Okidoki. His damline is also responsible for Try Time (thanks Ballyshan!), and Coriano had two offspring compete at the Hong Kong Olympics so I'm very excited to see how he turns out!

Winchester - it's funny you say that about him going through the lanky/ribby stage, when I took dante as a foal to the futurity, he wasn't as fat or big as some of the other youngsters there and the vet said it was nice to see a youngster that wasn't overproduced and she gave us a 9, though oddly she said it would have been 9.5 if he'd had his feet trimmed recently. (they'd been done 2 weeks before!) So it was nice to have reassurance that not everyone wasnts to see youngsters carrying too much weight.

So, the idea is go for some experience and see how it goes, and don't despair if you're not placed? I don't mind in mixed classes but i think in sporthorse classes I'd hope he'd do well, I think if he didn't I feel he isn't good enough to leave entire but then I guess showing is a different kettle of fish to the job they do at the end.

PogoPumpkinBecky

Visit site
you can show youngsters no matter how mature they are if you just want to give them experiance. i went with the view if he behaves himself and has a good time its great and doing well is a bonus.
here is my yearling connemara at a show last year, looking babyish but very well behaved and happy to be at the show:
picture.php

this is my friends sport horse type yearling, looked quite babyish compared to the other 5 in the ring, but stil managed to get a 2nd at a county show:
picture.php

zizz

Visit site
I think it depends on how much he grows between now and then, I wouldn't want to take him in a sport horse class if he was under 14.2. My boy was shown as a two and three year old in sport horse classes. He is 15.2 now rising four and although it didn't stop him being placed he had much more success as a small riding horse, the upper height limit being 15.3.

this was him in the May of his two year old year;

DSC_0002.jpg

Flash_28

Visit site
Well I'm so very glad I asked!! Thank you everyone for all your replies. Thank you so much to everyone and your comments. Much appreciated and taken in.

I can quite clearly see that my little guy is far far far far behind everyone else! Compared he looks like he is still in pampers! Due to him being neglected when I got him I think this is why he hasn't grown at the moment. He is yet to go bum high but has gone from 13.1 to just under 14 in the last couple of months.

I def don't want to overfeed him or ruin him for a rosette. I've had to feed him slowly as he didn't even get what food was for the 1st 3 weeks and even very bland food upset his tummy but feel like we're getting somewhere now so getting excited about the summer! I just can't believe that some people are putting yearlings on horse walkers for hours and even using steroids! Actually totally shocked!

I think I will have a look at him when the entry forms come out for Kent County around April time and see. Even if we don't go to Kent County this year we will still go to local shows at least. He's not even 2 yet so we have plently of time to work up to County level. :) I did think of taking him to futurity or something similar but not being in breeding I'm unsure where he could go as he was bred in Ireland.

Tempi, that would be awesome to be able to take Foaly to a few shows and let him have a plod round but unfortunately I don't have my own transport so would be quite costly unless I can bribe my YO to take me in the trailer with their daughter's horse. But they aren't too keen as he is still a colt.

Everyone's horses in the photos are gorgeous.

Thank you again.

Irishlife

Visit site
Good luck with him wherever you go and post us some pictures when he goes to his first "party". It will do him the world of good to get out and about and every little bit of experience you can give him as a baby will be worth every minute of your time when it comes to breaking him in. He will be a well-rounded little horse and be easy to do.