Is he just an ungrateful sod..........

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I would love the forums opinions/thoughts on the rather strange behaviour of my dear old ex racer who is retired living the life of Riley, dressed in a smoking jacket with a large whiskey and a selection of magazines to browse through to pass his day.
He is a poppet , laid back , calm , completely bombproof and only retired at 24 after a tendon injury that kept flaring up. He is a joy in every sense and I simply adore him.
So…..go back to a few months ago and I moved into my new house with an old barn and room for a pony! Horsey Heaven so my Dad ,brothers and I set about converting the barn into stabling. The barn has previously had internal offices in so we took all the stud walling down ,repaired the floor and put up internal stables creating 2 22 x 16 spaces for his lordship and his mini shitland chums. The shitlands are a little lost in theirs so are considering illegal sub-letting.
To the back of the stables where the offices had been is a window in each stable– a normal house size window with a frame and glass that we decided to block up with a temporary fix until we could sort them.
Horses move in – all settled – all is well !
Until we decided to do the next step of the renovations and repair the windows – we decided to leave the frames in as the extra light was fantastic creating a huge light airy box for them to flop around in , entertain , hold card schools….
We removed all the glass , fixed the frame, replaced it with perplex , covered in a mesh with the plan to add huge shutters on the outside to close at bedtime or for that added layer of warmth in the winter. It looked fantastic – I made everyone come and look ! And then it all went wrong.
Mini Shitlands wandered in – stuck noses up at window, shrugged and then wandered off to watch Netflix or something- very happy bunnies but my chum went BALLISTIC ! I have never seen him in such a complete state – eyes rolling, racing around the stable, screaming…it was most dramatic.
Family gathered round – was it the noise from the road? Could he see the washing on the line? Did he have a reflection back into the stable? None of us could see the problem at all but he was completely distressed.
We decided to see if he calmed down so wandered back to the house and watched what was going on via a camera I have installed to spy on them ( Its brilliant btw).
I stuck it for 20 mins – I was so worried that he would colic with stress or hurt himself that Dad and I stood in the rain and hammered back up the OSB board that we had taken off to completely cover the window. Immediate calm. 30 mins later he was down and asleep completely worn out. I watched him until the early hours to make sure he was ok and checked via the camera every hour until morning when I got him out into his paddock. He was back to his calm ,happy self.
So the fabulous stable now has a dirty old bit of board blocking up the window and he is back in a large but quite dark stable and is happy as Larry.
Problem solved but its bugging us all as to why he reacted so violently – we have looked at everything and cannot work out what happened. Does anyone have a theory ? Or is he just an ungrateful sod x

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Have you thought about him exchanging apartments with the little shitslands? Perhaps he would have a less extreme reaction in the different stable.
The Shitlands stable still has the window open so its still really light and airy - hes content in his black hole Rabatsa - its odd - He was in the stable for a good 2 months with it all boarded up and was content and happy and then whoosh - let the light in and he turns into The Exorcist !! xx

meleeka

Visit site
Who knows?! If it makes you feel any better, my OH spent two weekends building a lovely new stable/shelter for my mini (he used to have his own but has had to share with the new Section A since the spring) and he point blank refused to go in it. In the end I swapped him and the Section A, who is new so doesn’t really care where she is (they are used as shelters so differing height wooden bars so only the mini can get in his etc) and now the Section A has a lovely new shelter to enjoy, except that she can’t because the bloody mini keeps going in there to use as a toilet 🙄

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
- I can't shed any light on why he reacted the way he did :D - except changing something in a stable often freaks them out, even if it's just moving a water bucket. But I did once have a very large ID who was like Goldilocks - we tried him in every stable on the place, from the Supreme Deluxe Suite through the Standard Doubles and all the way down to the staff quarters. The one he liked best was a 9x10 pony stable with a low roof and a doorway that he barely squeeeeezed through, and then only at a particular angle. He lived in it for years.

Last edited:

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Who knows?! If it makes you feel any better, my OH spent two weekends building a lovely new stable/shelter for my mini (he used to have his own but has had to share with the new Section A since the spring) and he point blank refused to go in it. In the end I swapped him and the Section A, who is new so doesn’t really care where she is (they are used as shelters so differing height wooden bars so only the mini can get in his etc) and now the Section A has a lovely new shelter to enjoy, except that she can’t because the bloody mini keeps going in there to use as a toilet 🙄
Sorry - giggling but I feel your pain :)

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I can't shed any light on why he reacted the way he did :D but I did once have a very large ID who was like Goldilocks - we tried him in every stable on the place, from the Supreme Deluxe Suite through the Standard Doulbes and all the way down to the staff quarters. The one he liked best was a 9x10 pony stable with a low roof and a doorway that he barely squeeeeezed through, and then only at a particular angle. He lived in it for years.
Brilliant !!! They really are characters arent they :)

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Maybe he didn't fancy the idea of card schools :p.
Well if he is happiest with a less light stable, maybe that is ok?
I think you are right - I guess we all think what we think will be lovely isnt lovely to our horses ! Card schools are only half of what goes on at night in that barn !

vhf

Visit site
Did you let in enough light for him to see how untidy he kept his bedroom? Or perhaps was worried about Peeping Toms, didn't feel he could let it all hang out when there was a risk of voyeurs?? Perhaps offer some blackout curtains?

Maybe it was simply the sudden change of a familiar environment. (No comprehension of a window being put in, just a magical altering of supposedly reliably-the-same home!) My older mare would have reacted that way because I'd made a change to her world without consulting her first.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I spent hours sorting a field shelter for my two retired boys, put a big straw bed in, piles of hay etc. They were petrified, never stepped foot in it even when I put dinner inside!

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Did you let in enough light for him to see how untidy he kept his bedroom? Or perhaps was worried about Peeping Toms, didn't feel he could let it all hang out when there was a risk of voyeurs?? Perhaps offer some blackout curtains?

Maybe it was simply the sudden change of a familiar environment. (No comprehension of a window being put in, just a magical altering of supposedly reliably-the-same home!) My older mare would have reacted that way because I'd made a change to her world without consulting her first.
Laughing alot at the voyeurs and black out curtains!!!! i think you might be right - unauthorised change of environment !!

SadKen

Visit site
There is only one explanation for this. He is a werewolf and cannot see the moon without turning into a rampaging beast.

If you think he could tolerate it, how about putting up a curtain and gradually over a number of weeks, increasing the light level in there?

Then again if he likes it dark and you don't mind, I guess let him crack on! I know I can't sleep if there is any light!

mini-eventer

Visit site
One of my boys would not settle with a window at the back. He just paced back and forth from the door to the window. I figured that he just felt like he had to check constantly what was going on in both directions and did not feel secure. Settled straight away in the exact same (but with no back window) stable next door

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
One of my boys would not settle with a window at the back. He just paced back and forth from the door to the window. I figured that he just felt like he had to check constantly what was going on in both directions and did not feel secure. Settled straight away in the exact same (but with no back window) stable next door
He is quite a nosey type so this really makes sense - sensory overload mixed with being nosey :)

Annagain

Visit site
My share horse is the biggest on the yard. 17hh and 7' rugs so he was given the biggest stable on the yard. It's 18'x12 with lovely big skylights but it's in the corner and the stable doors of the two adjoining stables are relatively close. He hated it in there. He kicked chunks out of the wall and spent all his time pulling faces at his neighbours. He wouldn't settle at all. We swapped him with my horse to a 12x12 stable, no skylight so really dark, but it's on the end of the block so he only had one neighbour to worry about. Instantly happy horse. My horse, who box walked contstantly in the 12x12 suddenly stopped in the bigger stable too so it was a win win!

M is still very funny about personal space. He likes to have just a rope across his door most of the time and is much happier than when the door is shut but if the chickens are out he goes mental until we shut his stable door. Then he's happy as larry again! He also has to have his door shut if another horse is tied up outside his stable or he'll go to the back and start kicking the walls (they're covered in rubber). He won't kick in the direction of the horse though!

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Did you overdo the brightness, Are the walls white , do you have nice white woodshavings . My guess is its a vision thing ,either that or he thought he was at the pearly gates and about to have to answer for all his misdeeds. Shetlands already know they are going to hell so dont give a damn
Hahahaha - you have clearly met my 2.......