Is it irresponsible....

Ginn

Visit site
... to own several horses, which you keep on your own land ,(so no-one else around to check them for you) and to only check on them all once a day, occasionally missing the odd day? And by check I mean re-fil bath if down to 1/4 full and poo-pick paddock - no actual contact with the horses unless they're brought in for a purpose (eg to be ridden, farrier, hopping lame etc).

Hanz

Visit site
I think even if you own one horse you/a friend should still check on them at least once a day. And it can't be that hard not to make contact. Even when mine are out in the summer and I am not riding I still go to the field and pick their feet out, give them a pat and a carrot. It only takes 10 mins.

Ginn

Visit site
Not referring to me here - unfortunately I can't stay away from my horse and Im up there more than I am at home but I wanted other opinions before being judgemental if you know what I mean.

peapod

Visit site
Slightly different scenario, but I know of several herds of Dales ponies left to fend for themselves on the hills - however, they have access to natural water etc, and really are wild animals (no shoes etc)

I would say, in your situation, yes, it is irresponsible to leave the ponies (possibly without water - what if the bath somehow tipped over for instance?) - in my opinion they should be checked at least twice a day.

Bossdog

Visit site
I would say that it's necessary to check for lumps, bumps, scratches and bites every day, these can manifest so quickly if not dealt with. So if someone doesn't have the time to do this, especially with noone else around, I woudl say that it is slightly irresponsible. But that doesn't make them a bad horseowner, they perhaps have just taken on too much and need to ccept some help.

HTH

Jules x

Marbs

community.webshots.com
Yes irresponsible. Don't see how it could be deemed as being responsible.

I thought it was common sense that you should check on horses at least once a day (although that's irresponsible in itself to only check once) - lots can happen within the space of hours let alone days.

Is surprising that there is poo picking done if not even real contact with the horses. In favour I suppose that there is at least water provided (although doesn't sound like the container is emptied and cleaned up, just topped up?) even though poss. not enough water.

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(although doesn't sound like the container is emptied and cleaned up, just topped up?) even though poss. not enough water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm - can't remember the last time the bath was emptied and cleaned - apparently it wastes water!

sojeph

Visit site
I have 6 nags. ATM only one is kept at home so he gets seen everyday. The other 5 are at a friends place. She has 50 acres at home and they are kept in a 5 acre field ATM. This field is not in sight of the house and yard. I sometimes go (at most) a couple of days without seeing to them. Sometimes I've gone to check them and found their trough bone dry!!!! My friend doesn't specifically check on them but will glance over if she passes the field. They're happy and healthy. Does that make me irresponsible? What about all the ponies on Exmoor, Dartmoor, New Forest etc?

Marbs

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
What about all the ponies on Exmoor, Dartmoor, New Forest etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not domesticated and have what they need (like water, for example) more readily available to them, as opposed to horses in domestic situations. They don't have to rely as much on humans who should be responsible of providing for them.

I wouldn't feel like I was being responsible for my horse if he didn't get checked over every day (at the least once) and his water and other essentials weren't checked at the same time.

IMO making sure that the horse is checked over every day and making sure that it is suitably provided for are both responsibilities which come with having a horse in your care.

Skhosu

Visit site
If they asre there in the field, checking water etc. and the horses have food, I can't really see the problem?Are they ridden regularly ish? I know I check mine every day, but I don't go over them with a fine tooth comb every day, in the wild they are not checked!
We did go away one day and came back at evening to find one with colilc, he had ot be PTS, I hate feeling had he been checked at lunch, he may have been saved( although vet said was not the case) and although it would have been impossiblek, at least he was checked in the evening and put out of his misery.
Sojeph: yes, that is irresponsible as no-one can see if one of them has died, coliced, broken a leg and no water?! You need to ensure they have a constant fresh supply, how do you know how long its been empty?! I would say, as long as you look at them every day, and they look sound, healthy and have water and food, no probs!

Skhosu

Visit site
also, how do you know if they're checked or not? If its someone who fills water and poo picks and you say thye bring them in if hopping lame etc. I don't actually see the problem?

Ginn

Visit site
I know since my sister has her pony on the same yard and we always padlock up and owner down, if that makes any sense - we have often found that she's hasn't gone up for a day or so let alone twice a day. We got really told off for refilling water as it was wasteful, get totally torn to shreds if on our mucking out day we don't poo-pick until after 5pm as it means theres more for her the next day (despite the fact that she often leaves loads extra for us). One of her horses has the most awful mud fever/rainsclad - (its got so bad I can't tell anymore) up to his knees and hock but she refuses to do anything about it, she told us tonightthat she wants to have her exracer shot as he's good for nothing, costing her money and she doesnt want him anymore - ok, he broke his leg a few years back and will never be truely sound due to scar tissue in the sorrounding area but is otherwise happy and healthy (if a little thin) and could be loved and make a nice happy hacker for someone. She also wants to shoot kiris pony as she "doesn't like him and regrets buying him but won't sell him as he's "useless" and has her old horses freezemark". She also turned around and accused kiri of lying on numerous occasions - which she hasn't but his owner refuses to bleieve that kiri;s pony is acpeable of anything (and if you've seen the piccies kandm has posted you'd see that for yourself). I went up tonight and stood in the field and cried. All her horses are pitiful - with the exception of mickey they are all horribly thin, depressed, plastered with cuts, lumps and bruises. The two which are ridden get pulled out the filed maybe once a fortnight and only for competetion as she "doesn't want to risk injuring them by riding them outside competitions". Its horrible. And we can't get anything right! I am soo fed up with it - all I want to do is walk away but mum and kiri won't as they know full well that its a death sentance for kiri's pony (who she won't sell - period!) and I can't walk away from them and leave them to cope with it all on their own. We can't even put buckets of water out when the baths low as she doesn't like it. And as for wasting water - all the mucking out stuff - gloves, buckets, wheelbarrow etc must be washed as such that the queen could eat her dinner off it! Im just so sick of it but I can't see what else I can do.

Sorry for the rant - I never intended on it when I made my original post but I am just so wound up over it all.
frown.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
ahh, it's this woman? anyone else, I would say it was fine but I know from your posts like...
I think its times you get out and if there's any sign of neglect get the ILPH in, if you see Mickey out 24/7 or anything.
It's not fair on anyone to be doing this.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Personally (and i may get shot own for this) but if the horses are checked once a day and have acess to water and grazing then i dont see a problem.

BUT from what you said in one of your other replies there is obvioulsy a lot more going on that just that which does border on neglect.

Stuff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Slightly different scenario, but I know of several herds of Dales ponies left to fend for themselves on the hills - however, they have access to natural water etc, and really are wild animals (no shoes etc)

I would say, in your situation, yes, it is irresponsible to leave the ponies (possibly without water - what if the bath somehow tipped over for instance?) - in my opinion they should be checked at least twice a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one second that notion!
Don't wish to be rude, but if you haven't got the time, perhaps the equestrian field is just not for you.

sojeph

Visit site
I understand what you say about if one is injured etc but I could go check my horses at 9a.m one morning and they could colic at 9.30a.m and still not be seen till the following day. Plus when I say their trough was bone dry it will only have been a matter of a few hours as I wouldn't not see them unless I knew they had enough water for a day.

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ahh, it's this woman? anyone else, I would say it was fine but I know from your posts like...
I think its times you get out and if there's any sign of neglect get the ILPH in, if you see Mickey out 24/7 or anything.
It's not fair on anyone to be doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree.
This woman is making you all miserable as well as her poor horses. I honestly think you should all walk away, hard as it is for you, and get in touch with the ILPH if and when things get worse. I really do not think there is anything more you can do without ruining your own lives and happiness even more.
frown.gif