Is it just greyhounds.. or just Barney?

Montyforever

Visit site
When you tell Barney to go to bed .. He just looks at you. You say it again, he will walk one step in the direction of his bed, then stop and look at you. You say it again (a bit firmer) and he walks right up to his bed and sticks one foot on it then bounces back to you. You then stand up a bit taller and ask again with a bit more authority and Barney goes and lies down at the other end of the room on the floor ..

This can go on for hours, you can drag him by his collar to his bed and make him lie down but the minute you turn round he's back by your side again.

Funny thing is he loves his bed .. Just not when he's supposed to be on it!

Anyone else experienced the battle of the wills!?

Gladioli

Visit site
The problem I have with my greyhounds is that I say "on your bed" and they run and jump on the settee...... I given now trying to correct them!

Suelin

Visit site
The bed is in the wrong place OP. It clearly isn't filled with feather and down or sprung and upholstered and raised off the ground to sofa like dimensions. It hasn't got it's own TV or handmaiden waiting to attend to occupier's every whim. It doesn't have a soft blanket waiting to cover said occupier. How can anyone, far less a regal greyhound, be expected to use a bed like that. Do please keep up. Chuckling at greyhound with OP on a string!!!!

planete

Visit site
Try and examine your body language in detail. You may be saying one thing with your voice and another one with your body and the dog will always pay more attention to your body than to your voice. Try looking in your dog's direction while you give the command, then to the place where you want him to go, then AWAY from him and..wait. It works for me and my very independent lurcher. Try not to give any command more than once either.

paisley

Visit site
The bed is in the wrong place OP. It clearly isn't filled with feather and down or sprung and upholstered and raised off the ground to sofa like dimensions. It hasn't got it's own TV or handmaiden waiting to attend to occupier's every whim. It doesn't have a soft blanket waiting to cover said occupier. How can anyone, far less a regal greyhound, be expected to use a bed like that. Do please keep up. Chuckling at greyhound with OP on a string!!!!

Oh thank God- I thought I was the only one prepared to tuck the whippet in with a nice blanky! Turns out I'm just adequately trained ;)

But I would also add, the very best bed is the one that your posterior has just vacated. Get off sofa, take one step, look behind, and there it is.

One peacefully curled up whippet in my space, already firmly asleep

Montyforever

Visit site

Glad im not alone!!

His "bed" is a sofa .. With cushions .. All to himself. Which is why it cracks me up when he goes and lies on the floor (he's a donut!) he also has a collection of bones/toys shoved down the back of the sofa ...

LittleMonster

Visit site
I just point towards the bed and if she doesn't take notice i lower my voice and make it more grumply, then bang shes in her bed but she does the whole one foot on then off lol (french mastiff)

{97702}

Visit site
I am laughing my head off at the idea that a greyhound would understand the concept of "bed" at all :D :D :D Or maybe mine have always just been badly trained :p That is just one of the reasons I adore greyhounds, they have their own comfort in mind with everything they do, bless them :)

Katikins

Visit site
Maybe its just sight hounds!! Freya has us perfectly trained and is excellent at giving the pleading eyes if she wants a blanky!!

FreyaBlanket_zpsc5889652.jpg

Annette4

Visit site
When I ask Fizz where she sleeps she runs onto the sofa and rolls onto her back (she's crated), tell her to go to her bed and she gets in Jack's crate (even if he is in there).......point at her crate without saying anything and she gets in and waits to be tucked in.....I think it's a sight hound thing.

{97702}

Visit site
I must admit mine made me laugh out loud the other morning - Islay, my old girl, gets to sleep on the sofa all morning until my OH gets home, but the other three stay in the kitchen. Every morning they are the 'wrong' way round when I get ready for work - the 3 are in the living room on the sofas, Islay is in the kitchen - so as usual that morning I said out loud to them 'greyhound relocation time'

Whereupon the three in the living room trooped into the kitchen, and Islay went out to the living room :D They understand every word I say, clearly :p

Montyforever

Visit site
Freya is gorgeous!!

]
DSC_0199.jpg

Clearly abused isn't he?
He was on the chair .. He's a big lad and he squashed himself into the chair to avoid going to his sofa ... I swear he just likes to be rebellious as it makes no sense :p

{97702}

Visit site
Thank you, I think she's gorgeous too but am a bit biased :) She will have a little 'brother' coming home soon, he's only 6 days old at the moment though!

Noooo I am so so envious, lucky lucky you :) :) :) :) Please can we have pictures, especially of him at 6 days old :D

I shall have to go home and hug a greyhound or four to remind me that I DON'T have space for a whippet right now :D

Katikins

Visit site
Lévrier;12579614 said:
Noooo I am so so envious, lucky lucky you :) :) :) :) Please can we have pictures, especially of him at 6 days old :D

I shall have to go home and hug a greyhound or four to remind me that I DON'T have space for a whippet right now :D

I feel I may be hijacking this thread slightly now but here are puppy photos: https://southgrovewhippets.wordpress.com/

Not sure which one will be ours yet as we are visiting in a few weeks when they are up and about and can start to get an idea who which puppy will suit which owner the best but it will be one of the boys (reutje). Massive litter, she actually had 14 but 2 girls were stillborn :(

leflynn

Visit site
Gorgeous greys!

Boots knows when its time for bed and takes himself off, we go for wee wees in the garden and then he jumps onto his bed (sofa with duvets and cushions), he'll never go to bed unless its time or he is tired, he is a stubborn as the rest of them at times!!!

Montyforever

Visit site
I feel I may be hijacking this thread slightly now but here are puppy photos: https://southgrovewhippets.wordpress.com/

Not sure which one will be ours yet as we are visiting in a few weeks when they are up and about and can start to get an idea who which puppy will suit which owner the best but it will be one of the boys (reutje). Massive litter, she actually had 14 but 2 girls were stillborn :(

Never worry about hijacking with puppy pics! They are adorable, Barney cant contain his excitement when he sees a young dog .. Older dogs treat him like a baby so id imagine even in dogs eyes he's like a big kid :p

{97702}

Visit site

Gorgeous pictures, thank you, I can just imagine that puppy smell :) :) That litter is huge, they obviously look after their whippets very well :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
Try and examine your body language in detail. You may be saying one thing with your voice and another one with your body and the dog will always pay more attention to your body than to your voice. Try looking in your dog's direction while you give the command, then to the place where you want him to go, then AWAY from him and..wait. It works for me and my very independent lurcher. Try not to give any command more than once either.

^^^^ An excellent post. There remain those who believe that the Greyhound is stupid. Greyhounds are anything but stupid, but they are all so often, stubborn and self centred. The reason why they rarely appear in obedience tests is because they lack the aptitude to take in what we want of them. They are all so often, as planete says, 'Independent'!

Greyhounds can be managed and they can learn to comply with our wishes, but again as planete says, we need to focus on what we want of them. We have a 3/4 bred greyhound here and he's now 12 months. He is wooden and he's been hard work. He is though quite beautiful, and I suspect that the appeal of such dogs is what prevents us from taking the firm line with them!

Alec.

Katikins

Visit site
Lévrier;12579987 said:
Gorgeous pictures, thank you, I can just imagine that puppy smell :) :) That litter is huge, they obviously look after their whippets very well :)

Never worry about hijacking with puppy pics! They are adorable, Barney cant contain his excitement when he sees a young dog .. Older dogs treat him like a baby so id imagine even in dogs eyes he's like a big kid :p

I can't wait to go and see them, I swear puppy smell is like some kind of drug!! I shall take many photos when we visit in a few weeks and do a separate thread for them :)

Its nice in a way that whippets aren't as common over here as everybody knows each other. Freya's breeder is amazing but after having had an ultrasound on her younger bitch's (Freya's sister) heart it turns out there was some slight thickening of one of the valves so she won't be breeding. So she recommended another breeder to me who has the same high standards as here... though they are not cheap!! :)