Is it just me or have prices gone mad?

Marquire

Visit site
I was looking through H&H last night and decided for amusement sake to have a look to see how much it would cost me to replace Grumpy Boy (not that I plan too it was just for academic interest).

OMG
shocked.gif

If H&H is anything to go by I'd have to find myself over £8k which is just complete madness! I only paid £2750 for GB a little over a year ago. Have prices really increased so much or is it just that everyone thinks their horse is worth at least £5k now?

The criteria I used were:
around 16h, gelding
anyone's ride
competing BD Novice training at Elementary
Jumping BN/Discovery
XC up to 1m
Bombproof hack
Good to box, shoe, clip, no vices etc.

Marie

_OC_

Visit site
Oh yes no what you mean....after I lost my TB mare after 12 years of ownership(owned him 18 months approx).....thought I would buy myself a nice cob to show and hack.......and the money then that was being asked was crazy had to up the amount I planned to spend by alot of £££££££££!!!!!!....and I paid alot for my boy....and in Surrey if your selling a nag they say add on an extra £500,heard that said alot!
confused.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

jemima

Visit site
It seems to be all over the place - I paid what I thought was a lot of money for mine three years ago (aged 10), £2.5K, I've since been told by two instructors that when my daughter moves on to the new mare they can find him a new home for between £5K and £6K. He's 15.1, no vices (other than a bit grumpy with other horses in the field), loves to jump and is placed SJ up to 1m (unaff) and will XC at 1m. Dressage lets him down but we're getting there. He's doing Intro next year and a couple of decent tries at that will apparently stick another couple of K on the price.

I wouldn't pay that for him but I suppose there are plenty of mums out there who want a safe "performer" for their little darlings.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Price have rocketted i looked at a horse when I was 13 a nice showjumping pony 13.2hh roan gelding with super temp they where asking for 1K now you pay 3 time that for that sort of pony. Had a massive jump in him.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My daughter was reading the ads on H&H last night & said the exact same thing..... does anyone have a reason why prices have just soared??

I suppose asking a high price is one thing....getting it is something else?

Marquire

Visit site
I supposed that is true but two girls I know have just bought horses for £5.5k and £6k respectively and neither of these horses has done any competing at all, neither has spectacular bredding and neither is happy hacking alone. In both cases the girls bought the horse because ' it was very attractive'.

There are (silly) people out there will to pay silly money.

Hornby

Visit site
If your horse really is anyone's ride (maybe you are just good) but also talented enough to be placed affliated I would say he is worth more than 5K. You got yourself a bargain I think!

Marquire

Visit site
I'd love to be able to say I'm a fantastic rider but I'm not. He really is anyone's ride.

He is quite a lazy boy so he does only what is asked and no more and if the rider is happy to let him amble around on a loose rein then he is in his element. He'd never dream of trotting/cantering unless asked, that uses up far too much energy! In fact he'd much rather go for a walk hack than go to boring dressage competitions.

Marie

evsj

Visit site
Knowing where to look or having good contacts is often the key to avoiding mad prices. but having said that, it is encouraging for the likes of me who may have to sell their horse next year!!

claire1976

Visit site
Prices are way too high now but perhaps thats because the cost of keeping horses has in general increased. Livery, hay, straw and feed has all crept up over the years. Plus horse riding has become more and more popular over the last few years and thats why people demand more money - because they can!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
They have gone nuts, the problem is some people will pay it!!

I refuse to pay silly money for anything either before or now, my ex grade A was way under most things advertised these days, and current biggie registered at wetherbys was under the 2k mark also!

For something for fun I will not pay over 2k, for something more serious dependant upon what its done I will not pay over 4k.

There is simply no need if you look round hard enough. People are taking the mickey with prices these days.

Most things can be bought cheaper if you are willing to put in the work. If you want ready made then thats a different story...

TOMPOES

Visit site
reading this i carnt believe horses are so expensive my boy is bwb and he has got a jumping record at dsco witch include 14 double clears and puisannce up to 6.03ft so you are saying he would fetch £5k

evsj

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Prices are way too high now but perhaps thats because the cost of keeping horses has in general increased. Livery, hay, straw and feed has all crept up over the years. Plus horse riding has become more and more popular over the last few years and thats why people demand more money - because they can!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is lots more money for people to spend on horses (no, i haven't seen any of it either
frown.gif
) and people new to riding or returning after a long break are more likely to want to buy their own than go to a riding school.

There are too alot of people over-inflating the value of their horses.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I’m sorry but I think that if you want a good, honest, safe horse you should be prepared to pay for it. It’s not cheap keeping a horse and it’s not cheap bringing on a horse (I know how much time and effort we are putting into Blacks). If people want to go out and found themselves a bargain then they have to expect that problems or challenges could potentially be an issue. I am certainly prepared to pay for safety and temperament!
I do agree that prices have risen, but then so has council tax!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
reading this i carnt believe horses are so expensive my boy is bwb and he has got a jumping record at dsco witch include 14 double clears and puisannce up to 6.03ft so you are saying he would fetch £5k

[/ QUOTE ]

Ermmm....don't know quite how to take this post...but assuming your question is genuine rather than tongue in cheek, then........yeerrrrr...at least (assuming he's fit and healthy and of a decent age !)...

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no tongue in cheek just abit thick and reading this lucky as well he is not puisannce fit but is sj fit and is 10 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Fair enough
wink.gif

evsj

Visit site
Erm... I have to disagree about if people want safe sensible horses they should expect to pay these prices...

It is dangerous to assume that an 8k price tag lessens the risk of 'problems'. I have already witnessed several expensive horses being purchased which susequently have gone wrong in some way (i mean in a behavioural/safety sense).

Everything goes up but I think there are alot of people who are a tadge overambitious as to their horse's value.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
totally agree with last post!

Most of the ones that cost more do come with their problems!!

My cheap and cheerfuls and also very handsome and capable boys were both well under 2k and have come with sanity, manners (well titch can be grumpy but was told about that pre purchase!) but other than that have been absolute crackers.

You really have to shop around and be prepared to wait and funnily enough have NEVER bought from H&H people seem to think if you put it in there you can up its value?!

Most of my purchases are from good honest people who value the horse at it's true worth rather than its breeding or what it "may" have been or in future be capable of.

Something that can jump 1.40 may not always do it in future!! Its a bit like an MOT, its only as good on the day as you buy it!!

I think prices (unless you are in HOYS league type thing and thats really what you want to do) are ridiculous.

What I cannot believe is how much people will go and pay for an allrounder that hasnt done anything that special but is capable!!

I dont deny horses being brought on does cost, but its the choice of the person selling to name their price tag, doesnt mean we are all prepared to pay it if we can find something equal or better elsewhere.

I think people are afraid to shop around these days and fall in love very quickly with the sound of horse before even seeing it.....

Each to their own but I dont have money to chuck at overpriced neddies, I'd rather get something a little down the line and bring it on myself and get the satisfaction that its down to me for the results....

For a safe weight carrying cob, yes I expect them to cost more and they are worth their weight in gold so this is probably the only Horse i would pay over the odds for.

As for TB types there are so many ex racers needing homes that are perfectly sane and calm if you are careful you really dont need to spend silly money, it isnt for everyone tho.

evsj

Visit site
Me too, I would rather pay less and bring something on. not an option for the inexperienced or non-confident rider, though.
as some nice chap said to me once...when it comes to buying horses, you can't trust even an Archbishop! and that applies no matter what the price!! he swore blind he would never pay more than 2k for any horse - but this was in Ireland, and I think it is still pretty easy to get cheapies over there.

novice/int lady I know has just paid 8k for a lovely 4 yo WB but it is already a disaster unfolding before our eyes....he is way too much horse for her and she won't admit it!