Is it just me or is this the worst winter for years?

maisie06

Visit site
It's climate change and it's happening...our winters are lasting 9 months now, cold miserable and wet. We get a nice spell in may and june then back to wet cold and windy. The UK is no place to keep a horse for any sort of enjoyment anymore, it's nothing but a slog. I gave mine up for this very reason.

Michen

Visit site
Oh my goodness this is such a depressing thread :p Come on people, the end is in sight and soon we will be moaning about hard ground and Horse flies!! Yes it’s a slog but every day with our neddies is precious, they can be snatched away at any moment.

Translationsneeded

Visit site
I agree and I’m done with this. Old boy not coping and his loan companion buddy is going home. Well and truly fed up. I look after my 2 by myself and next week I’ll have no horses. Feels weird but I’m relieved that I won’t have to keep drudging through this

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Oh my goodness this is such a depressing thread :p Come on people, the end is in sight and soon we will be moaning about hard ground and Horse flies!! Yes it’s a slog but every day with our neddies is precious, they can be snatched away at any moment.

agreed Michen, spent a lovely day with mine today despite the sideyways snow!

Cecile

Visit site
For my sins I watched a weather forecast on TV today and this is what the forecaster said

"Everyone is upset by the weather at present but it ONLY because Easter is very early this year and I am sticking with that"

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

I do agree with this michen , I had a nice day out with my orange girls yesterday despite the weather :) I still wish they could have some proper turnout though ;)

SEL

Visit site

I'm having a shocking time right now and could literally cry when I look at Monday's forecast, but I wouldn't give them up!

ponies4ever

Visit site
So I finally managed to go for a hack for the first time in weeks yesterday and naturally horse spooked at some ****** dogs and pulled a back shoe

Visit site
Been out, still bloody swamp like underfoot, but I got a jolly hour with plenty of trotting this morning :)
(And yesterday, Friday, etc, only day I missed completely was Thursday last week :redface3: tho I did get a trifle soggy on occasions)

The phrase 'bloody show off' springs to mind reading this. :D Lucky you getting a ride in.
My Field is a quagmire so can't ride in there and the lane is being tarmacced over so can't go out anyway even for a little potter about in hand. :(
:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
The Wisdom from local farmers round here is that this is the WORST year either they or their predecessors can remember :(

It started last autumn didn't it: Pleasure Rides cancelled because of the going, and everyone's hard work and toil wasted, then a filthy wet winter all the way through till now.

Went out to my fields yesterday and had a mooch around; put my foot down and the whole lot of turf around me started moving!! Like a typical bog which you'd find on somewhere like Dartmoor....... but this was in my field! Never ever had that before.

I've never heard of so many people who could just "give up" either horses or farming right now - or both.

Just a bleddi miserable winter, and no respite yet.

coss

Visit site
My facebook memories reminded me that this time last year I was having a x-country lesson. No way is my horse fit enough for that this year even if the course was open for hiring! Just can't get fully going

Marigold4

Visit site
Interesting to hear farmers' view of the weather. Glad it's not just me then! I thought maybe I was just getting old and soft! the only other nearby horse owner is heavily into one-up-manship so always maintains that her fields are not muddy, her horses are SO happy out 24/7 in the freezing rain, and yes she will be doing Elementary dressage very soon,if only her horse didn't have a string of minor health problems. So nice to hear from some real people who also think this winter has been hell. Managed to get out on my little horse though today and rode for an hour over the hills on our own. Bliss!

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
Just thought I'd remind everyone of what things were like a few months ago ..... ☺️

Now it's too hard/hot to ride and got hosepipe bans on the horizon

Fjord

Visit site
We appear to have missed any 'normal' weather and gone from constant rain to absolutely none. A happy medium would be nice!

alibali

Visit site
Loving the 'proper' winter we just had (lots of proper deep snow in the Scottish Borders!) and now this 'proper' summer. Prior to May it seemed like years since I'd seen the sun. Give me snow or sun over endless dreich drizzle anyday :)

lannerch

Visit site
Just thought I'd remind everyone of what things were like a few months ago ..... ☺️

Now it's too hard/hot to ride and got hosepipe bans on the horizon
It’s not too hard or too hot to ride ! It’s too hard to do fast work on anything but a surface or well aeriated soil.
If you ride early you beat the heat, if you can beat hotter as long as you cool your horse down well lots of cold running water your be fine.
They were racing at I think Newcastle yesterday on tv, thankfully on a surface but in the midday sun. Horses finished fine.
Also all BE events still run.

Last edited:

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
It’s not too hard or too hot to ride ! It’s too hard to do fast work on anything but a surface or well aeriated soil.
If you ride early you beat the heat, if you can beat hotter as long as you cool your horse down well lots of cold running water your be fine.
They were racing at I think Newcastle yesterday on tv, thankfully on a surface but in the midday sun. Horses finished fine.
Also all BE events still run.

Hey was totally meant tounge in cheek.

I'm up at 4am to get my two ridden before work so not slacking! Just remember us all joking about a hosepipe ban during all that rain and ta da ��

lannerch

Visit site
Hey was totally meant tounge in cheek.

I'm up at 4am to get my two ridden before work so not slacking! Just remember us all joking about a hosepipe ban during all that rain and ta da ��

Lol sorry , I thought you were one of those persistent moaners ( usually elderly) I hear at work. 🤪👍