Is it just me who finds this wrong.

Lintel

Visit site
Classic case of tugging on the heartstrings of others!
Why else would they use the skinnest children in the world in the adverts?

Archangel

Visit site
The only thing that is missing is a kitten. No hang on... in another photo there is a duck.

I get sick of seeing that poor donkey all knuckled over in the ad on TV - they c-rap on about they found him suffering and I scream at the TV "well get him off the concrete then" (and I can't even remember what charity it is).

Regandal

Visit site
The woman who runs the charity goes to all the local fairs and collects the waifs and abandoned ones. They post pics of all the really sick ones. I suppose they desperately need funds.

stormox

Visit site
The manager/owner of this 'sanctuary' buys lots of dogs and other animals at fairs and uses the most tear-jerking stories as fund raisers (and they work!!) A lot of the dogs she buys come over to the UK to Allsorts Dog Rescue, who say on their page they rehome dogs from Sussex. So people in UK donate £150-200 to adopt a dog that was bought by Suzanne Gibbons from AHAR at a fair in Ireland.

paddi22

Visit site
i never understand this charity. They operated on a goat and left it crated by itself. We have goats and they get unbeliveably stressed when kept without other goats. One of our had to go in for operation and we had to send the other one in to keep in company. On no planet would i ever leave a goat by itself, especially one after going through a stressful operation. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't have fostered it somewhere, even temporarily, so it could be with other goats. It would be absolute hell for it to be by itself.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Ive been reading all the replies on their fb page and they all think its wonderful and this lady is the animal equivalent of mother Theresa, just because its Ireland it shouldnt make a difference, Im sorry for what this poor animal is going through and a part of me just hopes he slips away in the night.

stormox

Visit site
Unfortunately if anyone writes anything she doesnt like, or asks any questions, they get banned and comments deleted. She has banned thousands of people, that is why everything written makes her sound like a saint.

Embo

Visit site
This comment on the photo made me laugh:

"This picture is incredible! If some humans could show even half the kindness that little dog, duck and chicken are to their friend how much better off we would be. Keep up the good work you do an amazing job."

Honestly.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thank goodness that poor little donkey is at peace now but no thanks to them, how on earth are they allowed to operate this rescue. I read they had a visit by a radio station and they thought they were wonderful, jeez.

stormox

Visit site
Niall Boylan did an interview with them- meant to be unannounced, but he wasnt there that long, and all that he was allowed to see was good, the same part people see when they come and visit on open days. But this part cannot possibly contain ALL the animals she purports to have rescued. Her figures just dont add up!

Knockadoon

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-AHAR-animal-heaven-animal-rescue/444187049018853

Big problems with this charity for a long time. People who are experienced with animals and may advocate an animal being PTS or other kind of hard choices are blocked and the type of person who believes this type of nonsense, ie that a puppy and a duck can help a donkey, seem to be the main cheerleaders. Makes people feel good but not sure if the animals are coming out the best.

Knockadoon

Visit site
She calls herself in her blogs a BHSAI, andwhen questioned says this stands for British Horse Society Association of Ireland!!!

You mean that's not what it means?? :D :D :D

But seriously, animal charities need to be more controlled. Some I've seen are just a type of animal hoarding. Now, I know myself that I'd bring home every sad animal I could, which is why I don't go to fairs. I don't have the facilities and the animals would be no better off. These people need to realize that animals can't live off good intentions. And, that there are worse things than being dead. Alive and suffering is not better IMO.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Our vet is on standby, to help him along but I know in my heart he is ready. I want him to go by himself in my arms. The only place he has ever felt safe.

So she didnt have him pts but allowed him to suffer, drowning with all the fluid in his lungs it must have been a horrible death for him, how is she allowed to get away with this cruelty, Im just so sad.

Knockadoon

Visit site
Our vet is on standby, to help him along but I know in my heart he is ready. I want him to go by himself in my arms. The only place he has ever felt safe.

:mad::mad::mad:
This kind of crap makes me so mad. "The only place he has ever felt safe" Such bulls**t. Sentimental tripe! I'm going to stop posting and reading till I get home from work cos I'm just getting more and more irate and i'll probably roar at some poor colleague of mine for no reason.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Well it worked, they raised 3grand with those cutsey photos, the donkey died and they've got 2 more lined up now so Im sure another photo opportunity and a long syrupy write up will bring in even more funds.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I think she/they mean well, but don't quite understand that it's more often than not far, far kinder on the animals they rescue that are suffering (like the donkey) to PTS, rather than 'let them die naturally'. Sadly, it's very rare that any animal goes in its sleep, peacefully, and will die in an awful manner. However, I do think there are far worse people out there than this charity.

Equi

Visit site
The reason I turned off hem was a large influx of horses from a farm for slaughter and they rehomed them all over the country within days mostly to all the worst dealers and none had vet checks or passports or contracts. Just given to people to sell. It gained them a lot of publicity for saving them from slaughter but half them were filled with strangles and they have no idea where they all ended up. As said, sometimes slaughter is not the worst thing that can happen..

stormox

Visit site
I know someone who had a horse off them-she said it was a 4yr old gelding. When it arrived it was a 2 yr old colt. Luckilyshe was knowledgeable and realised.Someone clueless could have put it in with mares....

googol

Visit site
I think she/they mean well, but don't quite understand that it's more often than not far, far kinder on the animals they rescue that are suffering (like the donkey) to PTS, rather than 'let them die naturally'. Sadly, it's very rare that any animal goes in its sleep, peacefully, and will die in an awful manner. However, I do think there are far worse people out there than this charity.

This
But **** I'm raging with myself cos I was so taken in by the donkey story. I was reading bits of it and am annoyed with myself that common sense didn't prevail. I was willing the wee donkey to survive and had the woman hailed as a saint. Reading this thread has put it all into perspective, was easy to get caught up in it all tho and I cried for about 30 mins solid this morning when I read it died

I do think I agree with the comment above tho

Count Oggy

Visit site
Ive been reading all the replies on their fb page and they all think its wonderful and this lady is the animal equivalent of mother Theresa, just because its Ireland it shouldnt make a difference, Im sorry for what this poor animal is going through and a part of me just hopes he slips away in the night.

I'm sorry, but it has nothing to do with being in Ireland. There are plenty of people here who disagree with her practices. In fact, there is a whole fb page dedicated to exposing the flaws of this charity. I don't know how much of it is sour grapes from personal fall outs but it does seem like an extension of animal hording. Personally I really dislike the shipping of rescues over to the UK. It's just massaging statistics not solving the problem.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I'm sorry, but it has nothing to do with being in Ireland. There are plenty of people here who disagree with her practices. In fact, there is a whole fb page dedicated to exposing the flaws of this charity. I don't know how much of it is sour grapes from personal fall outs but it does seem like an extension of animal hording. Personally I really dislike the shipping of rescues over to the UK. It's just massaging statistics not solving the problem.

What I mean is the welfare authorities are either inept or overwhelmed, whichever it is it seems to be ineffectual in dealing with welfare issues like this rescue. Ive been reading their page and they seem to have huge numbers of dogs and horses and they just seem to drop off the face of the earth as no updates. Perhaps the authorities think if they were to go in and close them down they wouldnt have the resources to take all the animals.

My initial interest was stirred by that poor little donkey which was failed by the rescue and was exploited as a means to make money, not only was that sickening and in bad taste but that little donkey had an awful death.

stormox

Visit site
It can happen in UK too,the rescues mean well, but it gets out of hand.It happened in the collie rescue in Wellingborough (Wiccaways) which was shut down a few years back - too many dogs, too little space,dogs kept in cages on top of cages etc.
The way forward is to breed less animals, and to educate people about the responsibilities of owning a dog, horse or whatever. Too many people get pets on a whim which are discarded at the first pee on the carpet or the realisation that you have to visit and feed your horse whatever the weather.

Last edited:

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I haven't looked at this story because it makes me so mad. As many have said these people start off meaning well but they must just lose sight of what they are trying to do. I am sure many of these animals would be better off PTS. I know of people who genuinely think they are doing the animal a great service by keeping it alive, lame, in cramped unsuitable conditions when in reality that is no life for it. Just sad not caring, just sad.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
What I mean is the welfare authorities are either inept or overwhelmed, whichever it is it seems to be ineffectual in dealing with welfare issues like this rescue. Ive been reading their page and they seem to have huge numbers of dogs and horses and they just seem to drop off the face of the earth as no updates. Perhaps the authorities think if they were to go in and close them down they wouldnt have the resources to take all the animals.

My initial interest was stirred by that poor little donkey which was failed by the rescue and was exploited as a means to make money, not only was that sickening and in bad taste but that little donkey had an awful death.

They probably wouldn't have the resources to take all the animals but at least they could give them a certain end.

Count Oggy

Visit site

I think we're really in agreement here but I don't think this is a problem indicative of Ireland. It was the fb likes triggered by the donkey that made me look them up too. Though I now think they might be the charity I've heard people talk about in the past. I think it's a difficult call for the authorities. The ISPCA like the RSPCA have limited powers. How many times to we hear stories of the rspca not stepping in soon enough or getting flack for euthanaising large amounts of animals such as the Arabs that were recently in the news. I have no first hand experience of AHAR so I can't say how good or bad they are. I do think though that rescue centers like this are everywhere though, it's just we only hear about them when a campaign such as this is started. It will be interesting to see if they will be inspected again in the wake of this controvesy.