is it ok to...?

samsaccount

Visit site
i have three indoor stables, at one side we have a full sliding door which closed on a night, and any other time the horses are in, other side of the stable we have a normal 2 way stable door, bottom is shut when horses are in, top is left open. we have two gaps in the wall at the top at each end, made by the roof (i think) to provide ventilation aswell. Just been round to sort my lad out to find his gf already inside (me and livery agreed it would be easier for them to bring both horses in at same time around half 5ish - i went round at 4 and her horse is in, but wasn't in last night) and she closes the top half of the door, and puts a padlock through it to keep it closed (doesn't lock it) apart from yesteday when we had terratorial rain which actually went into my lads stable as he is next to the door i don't see why it needs to be closed as although they do still have ventilation it isn't much. I personaly think they are doing it to ensure their horse is warm as they keep going on about how she will be cold in this weather - unclipped but not overlly hairy she is turned out in a heavy weight minimum - sometimes HW + stable or HW x 2 ! so is it ok if they do keep that top door shut, as i sometimes leave the yard first, or should i pop round later on a night and re-open it?

Just worried about ventilation, granted it is cold now but both horses have a rug on on a night and are unclipped and i don't worry about my lad been cold at all, and he is right next to it so he is going to be colder than her if anything.

Would you shut it or leave it open?

Also worried that to keep it shut we put a padlock through the bolt, the key is somwhere but i am worried about someone locking it, we only have one exit then, and i am very worried about 'if there was a fire' as people smoke on the yard and we have had a suspected arsen attack a number of years back (not on buildings - hay).

ThomasTank

Visit site
sounds like you need to talk to the other person and not just shut it as that will cause bitchiness i think. what will she do when the weather gets cold eith the amount of rugs she has on already !!
Personally I would keep the door open and allow more ventilation, must be quite stuffy. (your post was hard to keep up with . lol)

Fairynuff

Visit site
I hate closed top doors and only close mine when we reach below minus 10. I close them to stop the waterers from freezing and not to keep the horses warm. Horses breath 40 litres of air in an hour so they need all the fresh air they can get.
If your friend is worried about her horse being cold, she should put another rug on and not close the top door lowering the amount of fresh air getting in to the horses lungs. I wouldnt be happy about the situation, including the lock. If she rally does want to close the door, cant she put a lead rein clip on instead of the padlock? Sorry if this is a bit tetchy, having one of "those" days.
frown.gif
Mairi.