Is it possible to compete at a high level whilst working full time not in the horse industry

Mary3050

Visit site
Hey guys,

I have recently just brought my self a lovely new horse originally I just wanted to do low level dressage same so now BD prelim & Novice . However I found and amazing horse who is competing at medium advanced and trained higher . I brought him spending way more than planned with a view to get doing the more advance stuff competitively . I used and loved it but haven’t had a horse capable for a while . But I was younger then and had more time .

I was talking to my trainer who said it was possible but I would need to commit more time than I am and go to the gym most days .

My current routine is not very organised. Surely it must be possible to fit it all in . But I feel the people who are at our yard competing at that level are either very well off and are being bank rolled by husband or parents so don’t work or only work part time . Professionally in the industry ie a ride groom . There is nobody on our yard who works full time and competed regularly and consistently above elementary.

I work from home at least 3 days a week . Usually 9- 5 can but I can mix it up ie 8-4 or 8-5 with 2 hours at lunch meeting dependent. My yard opens at 6:30 closes at 8 . My gym opens at 6:30 and closes at 10 . But I struggle after 7:30 as suffer from CFS .

I realistic have the hours 6:00- 8 to complete my day . I would ideally need to ride two horse a day when at home and hand walk the mare as well ? . Then go to the gym and sort the oldies out at home in an evening usually my husband helps so takes an hour tops if in .

When I go into work it’s 1h 30 either way so I leave at 6:30 and return home for 5:45 -6 ish . I am better off going to the gym on those days and sorting my mare out . Then paying if needs for the horse to be schooled .
I also need to do all the normal adult stuff is it even possible ?

How do you mange a full time 9-5 with more than one horse and competing etc !

Many thanks, I feel my excited bubble may have been popped because I can’t fit it all in

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'll jump in. I have always worked full time and have often had 2 to ride, occasionally 3. You need to be organised (and ideally not have lots of other responsibilities like family life or a demanding partner ;) )

I am now home based full time but previously had an hour+ commute. Days start early and finish a bit late. Weekends are about streamlining the week days. When there are 2 to ride I try to give myself a day off riding each week because otherwise it can become a bit full on.

In terms of competing level, i've had various horses at medium + and the one who retired in the autumn through injury was training all the GP stuff and prepping for an Inter 2.
I don't go to the gym, i just don't have time as 7 horses to look after in different places, and a fairly full on job, but I do online classes quite often which I have definitely found beneficial for my riding.

What level have you ridden to before? Riding at advanced and above is demanding mentally as much as physically, you do have to be pretty committed, I would say I live and breathe it when i have a horse in proper work.

milliepops

Visit site
ah yeah, i was perhaps unfairly assuming OP was not aiming at winning the top flight shows, though i do have friends in similar positions who are doing PLs etc which is quite nice for amateurs. you can have a lot of fun just making up the numbers, plus with area festivals that go up to FEI levels there is a bit to have a crack at.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Depends on how motivated you are and how supportive your OH is. For a start, you don't have to go to the gym, you can exercise at home, maybe include OH in this if he is interested?

You can get up early to ride and juggle your hours. Have one day off a week from horses if you can, riding them anyway.

You would need to focus on the one doing the higher work.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It absolutely is but takes a lot of discipline. There's no shame in not being disciplined enough - I would struggle to motivate myself!

You may not need to go to the gym though - I do all my work outs at home (a mix of cardio, resistance/strength and weight training) and only go to yoga for the socia aspect! - which does save time.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think you maximise time on and off the horse through being very organised.

Plan what you want to do in advance on the horse so you have a real plan when you get to yard and are not missing a minute just being in a daydream or working out what you want to do next.
Planning your comps and then working backwards for 2 weeks to make sure you get there in the best way possible maximising time and riding.
Things like half an hour for lunch in your office days can be used for cardio fitness by maybe going for a power walk up a hill so then your gym sessions could be used for strength which might be shorter.
Working the horse twice in a day is a really effective way of inputting fitness if you are short on time in mornings and evenings.
Plan your horses days off when you are tightest for time so then it’s a lot less stress.
A lunge session over poles is a perfectly good session for a horse and helps relax mind and body while keeping them supple. I ride and lead a lot. I tend to alternate horses - a great way to get two horses worked in the time it would take for one horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm awed at how you do all that you already do with CFS/ME and sometimes needing to use crutches! I have competed 2 at BE Novice on alternate dates, and done the gym 3 times a week and walked 4-5 miles several days a week, but I had the horses at home, was only working part time and didn't focus on being competitive so did very little organised training. You'll need more motivation than I had, but to be honest that one isn't much of a hurdle to jump.

Last edited:

GG13

Visit site
Definitely possible but it’s hard hard work.

I suppose it also depends what you class as top level, the very top/‘just’ international level/advanced etc, and to an extent the discipline too.

My experience is only through eventing so can’t speak for dressage or sj but I think getting to the top in any discipline takes the same level of motivation.
I didn’t make it to the top but was competitive at 3* eventing before injury put paid to dreams of going any further, all whilst in a full time job. I will add I’m very much an amateur too! At the time I worked from home 3x a week but office was 2hrs away. I didn’t have to contend with CFS though but even then I was constantly tired.

I think the key is that achieving your goal, whatever that may be, had to become your sole focus.

I’ve got another young horse now that I plan to compete but I just want to enjoy eventing up to novice/2*. Maybe I’ll change my mind if she proves talented but knowing how much dedication it took before I can’t see myself wanting to do it again at the moment.

I will say I never once felt the need to go to the gym whilst riding at that level. I wouldn’t have fitted that in unless it was one of those that was open 24/7, and I wouldn’t have had the energy either.

Mary3050

Visit site
Depends on how motivated you are and how supportive your OH is. For a start, you don't have to go to the gym, you can exercise at home, maybe include OH in this if he is interested?

You can get up early to ride and juggle your hours. Have one day off a week from horses if you can, riding them anyway.

You would need to focus on the one doing the higher work.

Thanks haha no
I'm awed at how you do all that you already do with CFS/ME and sometimes needing to use crutches! I have competed 2 at BE Novice on alertnate dates, and done the gym 3 times a week and walked 4-5 miles several days a week, but I had the horses at home, was only working part time and didn't focus on being competitive so did very little organised training. You'll need more motivation than I had, but to be honest that one isn't much of a hurdle to jump.

CFS only the start of it but if you sit in bed and says I can’t do it because I have XYZ then you never achieve anything. Some days I have bad days but I try do something and my work is very understanding. If I feel like that I work from home and take a slower pace . I am also hoping to do more Para competitions with my new horse. But need to get stronger and fitter first. Which is why I try to fit the gym in . I don’t go for long only 45 minutes.

scats

Visit site
I'm awed at how you do all that you already do with CFS/ME and sometimes needing to use crutches! I have competed 2 at BE Novice on alternate dates, and done the gym 3 times a week and walked 4-5 miles several days a week, but I had the horses at home, was only working part time and didn't focus on being competitive so did very little organised training. You'll need more motivation than I had, but to be honest that one isn't much of a hurdle to jump.

Agreed. You’re doing really well OP!
I work full-time and have a lifelong condition, and I just about manage to keep 2 horses in light work, one competes low level during the summer months.
One prelim dressage test actually physically drains me. A few hours out competing (prepping, loading, driving there, competing, driving home etc) kills me off and I have to spend the next couple of days on increased meds, usually feeling rough.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I used to keep 3 in work with a full time job. Backup team at home was excellent but no help at the yard. I used ride and lead whenever possible, plenty of hill work. Used flexi time and annual leave to take days off for competitions. Never had a holiday, click and collect for shopping, feed delivered, no social life. Loved every minute of it but couldn't do it now!

Mary3050

Visit site
Agreed. You’re doing really well OP!
I work full-time and have a lifelong condition, and I just about manage to keep 2 horses in light work, one competes low level during the summer months.
One prelim dressage test actually physically drains me. A few hours out competing (prepping, loading, driving there, competing, driving home etc) kills me off and I have to spend the next couple of days on increased meds, usually feeling rough.

Thanks but I do cheat though I have 3 on full livery ? I never muck out the ones at home if they come in my hubby does ? . I only ride for a short period they get worked 5/6 days a week instead. Because I only ride for 25 minutes or i can’t mange it . I rarely hack as 1 I can’t go for long and two I hate it on the road . I go around the farms fields it’s 20 mins . The grooms take them out for a longer hack every other week . I stopped showing because I could mange the classes . I do dressage but I now only have horse that are easy at shows as I can’t cope otherwise. If I am having a bad time my friends daughter who also gives mine a jump or poles come to groom for me she currently needs the experience for her degree . She gets them ready warms up and does everything. I get on 10 mins before and I also don’t drive myself . Tbh she comes all the time and does everything ? . I don’t pick out feet it’s buggers my back, clean legs or put on boots on very often any more ?. All done by a friend , amazing long suffering grooms or my YO . I also usually take the day before show off work or I can’t cope. I then spend the next day In bed . I am incredibly lucky to have an amazing coach, bunch of friends, family and grooms to help me when i can’t do anything as they all take over . It also costs a lot to have the level of support I do …. That’s why I can’t cut my hours at work haha .

I'm Dun

Visit site
How much do you want to do it? Its going to be incredibly expensive, beyond exhausting and require a determination to pursue it above all else.

One option would be to cut back on horses. Have the one competition horse, base it with a very good up and coming dressage rider and allow them to compete the horse in return for providing the level of help you will need. That way you have a tuned up horse ready to get on at shows. It would need careful choosing though as youd want the horse set up for you not them.

Honestly though, I wouldnt do it. Not at the expense of everything else in my life which is what your talking about.

milliepops

Visit site
It's going to be hard for you with your physical limitations coupled with the understandable need to work full time to pay for it all.

I hope that you find a way to best enjoy this new horse and to get the most out of the new partnership.

Good luck.
I do think it partly depends on the level OP intends to compete at. For example a higher level FEI test can easily be 10 mins from leaving the warm up to finishing the test. and the test itself is then pretty full on in terms of demands on the horse... so consequently the rider. Then you have to factor in however long the individual horse needs to warm up for work at that level - bit of a "piece of string" question. I can understand the *gym every day* comment now that OP has elaborated on her physical issues but also worry that it would leave less energy for actual horsing.

On the other hand, a well tuned up horse could prance round an easy AM without too much prep, you can have fun doing the changes and some enjoyable sideways and probably have a much less physical day out esp if there was good help on the ground and at home.

Leandy

Visit site
I used to keep two in work and competed to advanced medium whilst working full time in the City an hour and a half's commute away. I used to ride (school) in the mornings before work, so at about 6.30am and used to ride one each morning during the week and both at the weekend. I had livery to do basics bring in/turn out, muck out, feed at each end of the day and also a freelance groom who came each morning to exercise the one I hadn't (lunge/fitness work/hack)/groom/tack clean and any other extras. It worked best to ride in the morning as then I knew it was done and it didn't matter how late I was at work. I could never make it work to try to ride in the evening and I was always stressed and frazzled if I tried so they didn't go well then anyway! I never went to the gym! Having said that I did think that AM was probably about the limit for doing it like that. I couldn't see how I could compete at FEI levels or acquire the expertise or be fit enough to do so successfully unless I was working several horses a day like the professionals. I never considered basing my horses with a professional rider. It has never interested me to have someone else educate the horse and I just get on and ride. The interest was always in bringing on my horses and controlling the management of them myself. Even if the results were not as good I had the satisfaction that it was all my own work! That was way before the days of working from home. Had I worked from home three days a week it would have been a lot easier. It depends what else you have in your life though. I found it did not mix at all with small children and gave up competing once I had babies.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I know nothing of dressage but wouldnt you struggle with the travelling to events, surely if you're competing at a high level you'll end up needing to travel quite a distance sometimes at a weekend and if thats on a Saturday, that might mean straight after work youd need to be boxing up to travel miles to stable over? I didnt compete to a particularly high level (CIC*) but I wanted to go intermediate BE many years ago but I also had a 9-5 job, I really struggled because of the distance and the going down on a Friday night for an event the next day. I basically didnt do it which meant I never stepped up. Now I have young kids so its a real no go these days and I compete at a far lower level and only locally.

I think if you want to do it, you'll find a way though.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Absolutely everyone I know who has competed in a serious way at top level (FEI level) in dressage has been full time in the horse industry/given up the day job/has a wealthy parent/sponsor.

Rocky159

Visit site
Hey guys,

I have recently just brought my self a lovely new horse originally I just wanted to do low level dressage same so now BD prelim & Novice . However I found and amazing horse who is competing at medium advanced and trained higher . I brought him spending way more than planned with a view to get doing the more advance stuff competitively . I used and loved it but haven’t had a horse capable for a while . But I was younger then and had more time .

I was talking to my trainer who said it was possible but I would need to commit more time than I am and go to the gym most days .

My current routine is not very organised. Surely it must be possible to fit it all in . But I feel the people who are at our yard competing at that level are either very well off and are being bank rolled by husband or parents so don’t work or only work part time . Professionally in the industry ie a ride groom . There is nobody on our yard who works full time and competed regularly and consistently above elementary.

I work from home at least 3 days a week . Usually 9- 5 can but I can mix it up ie 8-4 or 8-5 with 2 hours at lunch meeting dependent. My yard opens at 6:30 closes at 8 . My gym opens at 6:30 and closes at 10 . But I struggle after 7:30 as suffer from CFS .

I realistic have the hours 6:00- 8 to complete my day . I would ideally need to ride two horse a day when at home and hand walk the mare as well ? . Then go to the gym and sort the oldies out at home in an evening usually my husband helps so takes an hour tops if in .

When I go into work it’s 1h 30 either way so I leave at 6:30 and return home for 5:45 -6 ish . I am better off going to the gym on those days and sorting my mare out . Then paying if needs for the horse to be schooled .
I also need to do all the normal adult stuff is it even possible ?

How do you mange a full time 9-5 with more than one horse and competing etc !

Many thanks, I feel my excited bubble may have been popped because I can’t fit it all in
Sam Whaley-Cohen does it. You need lots of money, delegation and contacts!

millitiger

Visit site
Dressage is definitely the easier horse sport to climb the levels in my experience.

I was competing successfully at Medium without trying too hard, riding 2 horses, working full time and having a good social life.
I got up every day at 5.30am to be on board by 6.15 and off by 7am.
The most work was keeping the other one fit for eventingqnd all of the schooling and arena hires etc that go with it!

Depending on where you live, I find there is also much less travel for pure dressage shows so easier on your weekends than being out eventing all day.

You definitely need some extra fitness for above medium, either riding other horses every day or gym work or running etc.
I found lots of work without stirrups helped and I now do 15 mins a day of hip and core exercises which really helps.

milliepops

Visit site
^^ yep i literally swapped from eventing to dressage because it was easier to keep everything up together, and also cheaper.

Leandy

Visit site
^^ yep i literally swapped from eventing to dressage because it was easier to keep everything up together, and also cheaper.

Indeed, I have absolutely no idea how someone could train for all three phases and have the time to do the fitness work if they are working full time. Eventing also invariably takes a whole day at a competition, often with a very early start whereas for SJ and dressage the actual competing doesn't take so long!

milliepops

Visit site
I did it, but I only had one horse then, only ran up to Novice and had no other personal-life responsibilities. I had 2 jobs to pay for it but still couldn't afford it really!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Indeed, I have absolutely no idea how someone could train for all three phases and have the time to do the fitness work if they are working full time. Eventing also invariably takes a whole day at a competition, often with a very early start whereas for SJ and dressage the actual competing doesn't take so long!

I'm not at the top level (currently prepping one of mine for a 2* long) but do actively do the juggle of having 2 in work and attempting event relatively seriously alongside a full-time job. I do not have additional factors like kids to work around, and fully acknowledge that OP's health considerations are going to be a serious factor.

The things that make it work for me are -

1/ prioritise time on the horses not off them - they're on part livery through the week so that I'm only focussed on getting the ridden work done, not on mucking out and other chores
2/ I pay someone to do hacking work in the winter if I can't fit it in because of daylight restrictions
3/ I do my fitness work at home (Sydney Cummings Youtube channel is amazing) but also incorporate fitness work as active travel - eg. cycling to the yard 7 miles away
4/ chose a yard with no opening hour restrictions and is the closest to me geographically - not the fanciest competition yard, but those are too far away
4/ plan plan plan - all my horse's work and fitness requirements are mapped out months in advance
5/ WFH has made things easier - but my trade off is that I have to commute into London once a week (2hrs30 each way) which takes me away from the horses for 24hrs at a time - I make this fit with their logical days off, or get freelancer in to work them if needed
6/ I negotiated a 10 into 9 working pattern which means I have a day 'off' every 2 weeks - this is a daylight day that I can use for lessons/training/gallops and is really crucial to my plan!

Leandy

Visit site
I'm not at the top level (currently prepping one of mine for a 2* long) but do actively do the juggle of having 2 in work and attempting event relatively seriously alongside a full-time job. I do not have additional factors like kids to work around, and fully acknowledge that OP's health considerations are going to be a serious factor.

The things that make it work for me are -

1/ prioritise time on the horses not off them - they're on part livery through the week so that I'm only focussed on getting the ridden work done, not on mucking out and other chores
2/ I pay someone to do hacking work in the winter if I can't fit it in because of daylight restrictions
3/ I do my fitness work at home (Sydney Cummings Youtube channel is amazing) but also incorporate fitness work as active travel - eg. cycling to the yard 7 miles away
4/ chose a yard with no opening hour restrictions and is the closest to me geographically - not the fanciest competition yard, but those are too far away
4/ plan plan plan - all my horse's work and fitness requirements are mapped out months in advance
5/ WFH has made things easier - but my trade off is that I have to commute into London once a week (2hrs30 each way) which takes me away from the horses for 24hrs at a time - I make this fit with their logical days off, or get freelancer in to work them if needed
6/ I negotiated a 10 into 9 working pattern which means I have a day 'off' every 2 weeks - this is a daylight day that I can use for lessons/training/gallops and is really crucial to my plan!

Good for you! I do hope it all pays off and wish you every success.

j1ffy

Visit site
I've not competed above Medium and I don't have your health challenges (it sounds amazing that you do so much with CFS!) but I didn't find it too difficult to have two horses on the go and a full-time job. I'm lucky enough to have a well-paid job so can afford livery and additional support, here are some things I found helped:

- The horse needs to be fit for Medium but 5 days of work a week is enough if they are getting plenty of turnout. Thinking on ulcer prevention now also recommends 2 days off per week. This gives you the option of only riding one for four nights a week if you ride both at weekends
- Particularly during winter, have the yard or a freelancer hack the horses for me once per week (or find a sharer if they're suitable - one of mine was regularly hacked by another lady on the yard (who now his him on full loan!)). Good canters and hill hacks really help with the fitness for a dressage horse as well as keeping them mentally fresh
- I know it's not an option for you but I did a lot of ride-and-lead - up to two hours including canters and big hills
- Rather than a gym, I go to a personal trainer twice a week in the morning before I start work - she's based about 50m from my house and uses her own small gym so it's not at all time-consuming. It's much more focused than when I used to go to a gym and she's a horse rider (in fact she has my ex-Medium horse on full loan - there's a theme here!!) so understands what I need. It's helped hugely with my core strength and therefore my ability to sit to the trot and also to 'big' canters

Do have a think about when you have more physical and mental energy for schooling. When I was in a job that tended to go on into the evening, I would always ride before work. Now I'm usually WFH I prefer to work early and ride later (or sneak a daytime ride if I can) but it does mean that some evenings I'm too mentally exhausted, or frustrated with work stuff, to have a productive schooling session so I'll switch to a hack (if light enough) or some groundwork. Horses retain fitness far better than we do, so give yourself a break when you need to!

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose it depends on what you call top level and it also depends if you want to be competitive.

A horse competing Adv Med and training PSG is a good horse and a high level for an amateur - but make no mistake, it’s nowhere near top level.

I competed dressage as an amateur (with variable results) for a few years in that good amateur bracket and it was perfectly do-able even full time running my own consultancy business.

I made my life easier by using full livery and having the horse schooled for me once a week. I also had to invest in quite a lot of training for me, but it would have been perfectly possible to do it off DIY. Dressage is probably the easiest and most accessible discipline for an amateur to compete at I reckon.

Good luck with new horse!