is it possible?

_daisy_

Visit site
as most greys turn lighter over time, is it possible that they could go darker for no real reason?
confused.gif

the reason i ask is that Ebi is now 12 and has got seriously progressively lighter over the last 4-5years
mad.gif
. However since she fell into the last month of pregnancy and has Willow she is starting to go darker again
grin.gif
. (no its not just her being mucky LOL) Im not complaining cos i hate cleaning her - every poo stain shows and she is a filthy mare
mad.gif
, so is there any reason this is happening?

_jetset_

Visit site
See, it's all about hormones! I put a post up the other day saying Han had gone much lighter this year, and I was wondering whether it has anything to do with hormones.

leanne123

Visit site
it could just be her pregnacy, she will proberbly get back to her normally colour a couple of months after having her foal.

_daisy_

Visit site
it must be the hormones. I was thinking it had to be due to that as nothing else has changed really. well fingers crossed shell stay darker. Prefer dark greys than the lighter ones - muck shows up much worse!!

_daisy_

Visit site
dont say that storm. I prefer her darker than lighter. BTW Willow is 5 weeks old so im hoping its not in the near future that she starts going lighter
frown.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
most greys are born black are arent they?, like the spanish Lippizaners? or am i wrong? Ebi was like black beauty when she was born. She started turning grey when she was 5 - well it was her star that started spreading and then that was it - shes now a dark dappled grey!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes, most greys are born black.
Greys are called greys and not whites because they all have some black or actual grey hairs on them, and often their skin pigment is dark. I read somewhere it is impossible to have a pure white horse.
Yes, it's possible for a grey mare to go darker with pregnancy due to hormones.
It's possible in humans too, I went very blonde after having my son, but went dark after my daughter!!!