Is it safe to breed from a cold backed mare?

Irish gal

Visit site
Hi all, just wondering whether someone may be able to help me. Have a real good looking tb mare (Classic cliche x Mister Lord). On the ground she is very willing to please and really tries but does not seem to like us on her back. At a trot throws the ears back and head starts to jerk a bit up and down - basically doesn't look too happy. Hates any use of the leg, if this is used transitioning to canter will start to plunge about - although she hasn't bucked but still nearly unseated me all the same. I was extremely gentle riding her as she seems to be terribley sensitive but one unbalanced move on my part can send her plunging. So to avoid being injured have stopped riding her and now thinking of breeding a possible eventer.

I hear mares are more important than stallions in terms of what they pass on. Afraid though she will pass on the same cold back thing. Its a shame as she really is cooperative, just appears hyper sensitve to someone on her back. Any advice?

s4sugar

Visit site
Have you checked for kissing spine? Cold backed is usually a reaction to past pain but isn't what you are describing.
Any physical problem is very likely to repeat in ther offspring.

Booboos

Visit site
'Cold backed' is a term that is used quite often but it doesn't really mean much. In all probability there is a physical reason your mare reacts this way and until you know what it is you won't know whether it is genetic or not.

By far the most sensible option, especially in this depressed market, is to go out and buy yourself a nice young horse bred for eventing with parents who both have the right breeding, temperament and a proven record. It will probably cost you a lot less as well.

twiggy2

Visit site
wether you choose to breed from her or sell her you need to find out why she behaves like that with a rider on her, it could be caused by a number of things, start with vet and go from there

Irish gal

Visit site
Thanks for that and I agree with you both, it does seem to be a reaction to discomfort. Cold backed is a catch all phrase, which is why I used it . Being a good mare she doesn't buck, instead arches her back up the wrong way like a rodeo horse and then hops. There have been lots of great thoroughbred eventers, which is why we thought to breed from her. I don't intend them for myself, am interested in breeding. Will get vet to look at her.

twiggy2

Visit site
Thanks for that and I agree with you both, it does seem to be a reaction to discomfort. Cold backed is a catch all phrase, which is why I used it . Being a good mare she doesn't buck, instead arches her back up the wrong way like a rodeo horse and then hops. There have been lots of great thoroughbred eventers, which is why we thought to breed from her. I don't intend them for myself, am interested in breeding. Will get vet to look at her.

in which case given the current market i would not breed from her