Is it safe to travel my horse with shaving bags in the next partition?

Horse-Rider

Visit site
Basically , im going to a 3day event and was wondering wether its safe to travel a horse and then a few bags of shavings in the next partition in the trailer ? I dont know what to do because i know you can buy shavings on site but my horse has alot of allergies so i think it will be best to take the stuff shes used too :) HELP ? :)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I wouldn't. Having had a really bad loader who was also a sensitive traveller (all sorted now) I wouldn't risk anything. If your horse loads and travels well I wouldn't do anything to compromise that. :)

SnowGoose

Visit site
Always used to travel mine to comps with shavings, haylage etc in other partition, not to mention wheelbarrow, muckingout stuff, feedbin etc, just make sure they are well secured :D My dad made me a panel with strong plywood for the lower half of the partition, that was fixed to the uprights at each end (older style trailer, more tricky with modern ifor williams style with central support!) so pony couldnt get his legs tangled in anything then i tied everything in place. never moved and never bothered the horse. still do same thing when we go on holiday in the lorry, feedbins, haybales etc all lashed down in separate stall though more space to keep his legs further away so dont use kickboard anymore. Have a great time at your 3 day :D

MissSBird

Visit site
I got very lucky and won a bag of shavings at a prize at a horse show...an hours journey away from the stables. My dad used bungie cords to secure it to the breeching bar so it couldn't shift and it was fine.

Have also travelled with a snowboard in a coffin bag in the empty space next to my horse before. As long as the item is secured and your horse is used to travelling with the partition, it won't be a problem :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I do it quite often. Shavings, hay, rugs, everything -- as above, make sure it's all fixed so that even slamming on the brakes in case of emergency won't shift it and shouldn't be a problem. My horse tries to get a sneaky bite of hay as he loads up ;)