Is it time I gave up?

Expo

Visit site
My yard has been on lock down like many others, and my time there has been limited to specific (short) hours on specific days, to enable everyone there to get some horse time. I have just enough time to go, have a short ride (30-45 mins) and leave. As such, I've barely ridden since the end of March, as the rush to get there, ride and leave, coupled with the lack of other people being around, so no social interaction at all with the other liveries, makes the whole thing a bit tedious and pointless. I should add that my horse is kept on full livery and is very well looked after by an excellent YM whether I turn up or not, and I'm hoping that, as things ease off a bit, I'll be able to go more often and for longer.

Well, today was my day to go. And I forgot!!! I just simply forgot to go. I could have done, I wasn't doing anything much else, the yard is a short drive from home, or I can walk there in around 20 minutes. But it got to an hour or so after I would have been home and hubby casually asked me if I'd been, and I just realised it had not even crossed my mind to go. I just forgot to go. I've been every day this week, but not today!!

For background, I'm mid sixties and have had horses for decades - always on livery, having never been lucky enough to own my own land and facilities. Is my subconscious mind trying to tell me it's time to hang up my bridle for the last time, or am I finally losing my marbles?

Expo

Visit site
I'd be pretty p*ssed at a YO/YM still on lockdown when half the country is up and running again. I think they are taking the proverbial IMO! When are they lifting this rule? I'd be looking for somewhere else if thats how you are being treated!

I agree, but the yard in on a farm where the owners are shielding for health reasons (YM leases the stables/turn out etc from them) and they are making the rules at the moment. The farm house is immediately adjacent to the barn so they're being quite fussy about it. Hopefully, the situation will ease very soon.

bonny

Visit site
As above, I can’t believe any yards still have restrictions and that anyone is still paying for such a rubbish service. Find somewhere else that’s open to you hopefully with friendly faces so that you can get back to enjoying your horse.

bonny

Visit site
I agree, but the yard in on a farm where the owners are shielding for health reasons (YM leases the stables/turn out etc from them) and they are making the rules at the moment. The farm house is immediately adjacent to the barn so they're being quite fussy about it. Hopefully, the situation will ease very soon.

I don’t suppose you are going into their house, the situation sounds crazy

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[QUOTE="bonny, post: 14351110, member: 49767]"Find somewhere else that’s open to you hopefully with friendly faces so that you can get back to enjoying your horse.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.

Expo

Visit site
I don’t suppose you are going into their house, the situation sounds crazy

No, we don't. I've been there 2 years now and never been in the owners house!

But the point is, I forgot to go. Never crossed my mind .... I'm really mad with myself.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
No, we don't. I've been there 2 years now and never been in the owners house!

But the point is, I forgot to go. Never crossed my mind .... I'm really mad with myself.

I darent put my horse on full livery, i might as well sell, i'd never go, lol! Its only because she's at the bottom of the garden i see her daily, lol! Dont beat yourself up about it, you forgot, so what. Dont forget next time :D

LegOn

Visit site
One swallow does not a summer make - one time not going doesnt mean you should give up!!

Sometimes we all need a break! And also it sounds like the situation makes it less enjoyable to go - maybe you & your horse would enjoy a few months off in the field until your yard is back up & running? Changing the plan doesnt mean chuck the plan out!

Winters100

Visit site
Nothing to worry about - everyone forgets things from time to time. I would say that you are in a perfect position, the horse is taken care of, so give it some time (that might be days or weeks, doesn't matter) and just wait until you feel like going. IMO after some days you will be wondering how you could have considered giving up! All the best.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well shielding is coming to an end and everyone has been told to go back to work so hopefully they will fully reopen.

If not, I'd personally be looking for a new yard.

Skib

sites.google.com
I'm mid sixties and have had horses for decades - always on livery, having never been lucky enough to own my own land and facilities. Is my subconscious mind trying to tell me it's time to hang up my bridle for the last time, or am I finally losing my marbles?
I would like you to separate out the two things -your continuing to ride for many years yet, I hope, and the stress caused by Covid. We all forget and we forget more as we get older.
Your horse is well looked after and you must have many other things demanding your attention at the moment.
Let me assure you one can feel as blissfully happy on a horse when one is in one's late 70s. Dont hang up your bridle. I am thinking of getting a new one. Just as a treat if I can start to ride again next March.

Winters100

Visit site
Let me assure you one can feel as blissfully happy on a horse when one is in one's late 70s. .

The instructor who taught me as a child is in her mid 80s and rides out on her 19 year old Arab every day. For sure we all have some years before we hang the bridles up!

ihatework

Visit site
I can’t believe you are still on a strict time limit. That’s just crazy.

The senior moment is nothing though ?

bubblensqueak

Visit site
I'd be pretty p*ssed at a YO/YM still on lockdown when half the country is up and running again. I think they are taking the proverbial IMO! When are they lifting this rule? I'd be looking for somewhere else if thats how you are being treated!
i still cant see him loan!! the yard owner is crazy, and has only now allowed the liveries to bring their children, who otherwise were being looked after by grandparents, who were high risk! its horrible, she is health and safety mad. its not a riding school which were understandable closed, its a small private livery yard. im so depressed without him.

Nari

Visit site
I'd be discussing with them why they feel the need to still have these time slots, yes the yard owners live on site and are shielding but you aren't going into there house or garden and they aren't coming onto the yard so I don't see the problem there. I would be feeling badly used over this and if it wasn't sorted immediately I'd be looking for another yard.