Is it too early to start rugging to avoid winter coat?

horsegirl

Visit site
I don't want him to get hot but I was thinking of a fleece rug at night and just a thin turnout rug during the day? What do you think?

Dovorian

Visit site
It isn't so much the cold which will strt the coat, rather the shortening daylight hours. You could use a cotton sheet (easier to keep clean) in the stable and maybe put a light on if your stables are quite dark. The best effect form a rug is keeping the coat 'flat' but you can end up with a fluffy neck!

Kelly1982

Visit site
One of mine is being rugged up at night in a thin rug as she is really feeling the cold and keeps fluffing up (she is a TB).

I hate rugging early but she drops weight if she is too cold so would rather start rugging now.

My other one isn't rugged yet and i will leave her as long as poss.

sojeph

Visit site
You can't avoid a winter coat - it will grow reagardless - it depends on daylight hours! All a rug will do is to keep it flatter but it will still be there waiting to fluff up the minute you remove it!!!
grin.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I've been putting a summer sheet on Finni at night, anyway as it has been quite nippy and he wears a thin TO if it's raining.

I agree - Winter coats are actually more to do with light than rugs, unfortunately!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Is there no connection to how cold a horse is and how thick the coat grows? I ask because PF was a real teddy in the UK (where obv it's colder in winter than here) but now we're here, she hardly grows a coat at all... although... *muses* I don't think the days are quite as short as in the uk ...

MagicMelon

Visit site
My woosy one has been having a LW turnout rug on probably about 70% this summer. Its on right now! But then to be honest, our weather up here isnt nice than often anyway!

I wouldnt worry about rugging to avoid a winter coat as you will get one anyway. Only rug if you feel your horse is getting a bit chilly.