Is it too late in year to clip tomorrow?

baran

Visit site
Not if you are showing. Coats are starting to come out already so it won't be long until she's less hairy.

Depends where you live and what type of horse you have. None of the horses in our yard are showing any signs of losing their coats, far too cold and not enough daylight.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I wouldn't clip this time of year myself, mine are moulting in bucketfuls. I've got four that are down to fairly short coats already, well on their way to a summer coat.

mainpower

Visit site
I'm happy to clip late March early April and show through the summer. My boy has a blanket or trace (depending on how much work he's doing) through winter then it all comes off in spring. I use coarse blades to avoid lines and that bald look. Never had a negative comment about his coat. Maybe it depends on the horse and how long/dense the coat is.

NellRosk

Visit site
Thanks for the replies! As I was brushing her this morning I noticed her leg fluff moulting so I didn't clip because we are planning to go to a few shows and I didn't want to ruin her coat. :)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Ever since I have owned Benji (21 years) he's lost the last bit of his winter coat at the end of June/beginning of July and its started to turn mid-August. I have no issue with clipping for comfort and will be doing so shortly.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
IMO NO! I am old school way of the thinking what I was taught when doing my BHSAI in the 70's I will not clip after the last day in January.

Thing is that the weather is different these days, I clip according to weather, not a date on the calendar. I never used to clip past February but as time has gone on, I have clipped later and it has in no way affected the summer coat. My native is not showing any signs of moulting yet, however my work horses, that are under lights until midnight and have heat lamps on are moulting. I will be clipping for the last time in the next few weeks. I always do the last clip as a total body one, that way you don't have lines.

rosepa

Visit site
Horses are being clipped at the yard I'm at still! In fact vet not coming till a week on Tuesday for a couple of them! (Those needing sedation)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think there is a vast difference between the weather/climate from the north to South of the country, so there should not be a set date for final clips, common sense should be used ( and I was taught end of Jan by the BHS but my experience disputes it!). I work at Heathrow and live in the Pennines. Spring arrives at Heathrow a month before it does at home, daffodils are out weeks earlier etc. I usually clip until the end of Feb at home if need be. I've never had a coat show that, even on horses that are different colours where clipped and not clipped..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not if you are showing. Coats are starting to come out already so it won't be long until she's less hairy.

Depends where you live and what type of horse you have. None of the horses in our yard are showing any signs of losing their coats, far too cold and not enough daylight.

This, Frank is welsh, and despite us living in the south he has never started losing coat before sometime well into march. He had just had his last clip, a full one because it will take him until april/may to loose it all and it he would get v. hot and sweaty if left to his own devices.