Is it too soon?

matthew

Visit site
I have spotted an advertisment in a horsey mag for someone who is looking for a sharer for their horse but they dont want any cotribution towards upkeep! i havnt ridden for about for years due to not being able to afford my own any more and a havnt fancied going back to a riding stables- it does state that the horse is not a novice ride but i am not a novice i have been riding for years just had a big gap!! basically i just wondered if this was your horse would it put you off that i hadnt ridden for a few years? i have never come across such a seemingly gooddeal before-is this something any one else has done??? any opinions-i wont be offended! thanks!

samp

Visit site
The fact you have not ridden for a long time may put someone off. You may find when you get back on you're quite nervous and forgotten things - trust me we all do

Claireg9

Visit site
i had a bit of a gap and am riding a nutter now... dont worry about it. if your confident i wouldnt tell them you've had a gap... they'll want to vet your riding no doubt first anyway so let them decide if your good enough or not!!!

matthew

Visit site
Thats what im nervous about really-i mean how do i know i wont get my foot in the stirrup and freak out! and how do i know they need a sharer coz no other bugger can ride the thing?? that would be a great start getting dumped the minute i get on!
I thought that about the not novice ride i would have put that about any of my previous horses as i wouldnt want muppetts -she also put adults only so that kind of backs it up!
One other thing is they say their is an oputunity to compete in long distance riding- gulp!! i did show jumping and know absolutly sod all about endurance????

tuscanyD

Visit site
Speaking as someone who has shared my horse - I'd just be honest.It wouldn't put me off if the person was nice and had a good attitude. Plus depends on the horse and how you get on with it. One mans novice is anothers expert!

Tell them what you were capable of but explain you've had a gap and may be rusty. Best to be honest from the beginning they'll respect you more and wouldn't appreciate it if they found out you'd be economical with the truth.

Find out why it isn't a novice ride - it might be mental!

tuscanyD

Visit site
Just seen your last post - if you get to the stage of trying it out - make sure you see them ride it first!!!! If they won't - then don't get on yourself.

I rode my mare for my sharer - she's always very quiet but sods law she decided to freak out that day.

The lady had told me she was rusty and I told her it was V unlike the mare but in all conscience I just couldnt let her get on and ride her on the field. The lady was still keen though so I led her a short way and she wanted to try her again. And after several more low key rides she started hacking her alone. Mare never put another foot wrong!

4whitesocks

Visit site
I'd be totally honest - if you had lots of experience previously a minor rustiness shouldn't make any odds...what would be worse would be if the two of you got on, agreed to loan and then you got caught out on some little white lie you had told first time around....

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If I was sharing my horse I wouldn't be put off by you at all. I would want a potential sharer to be honest about their experience, ability & knowledge. Just because she say's not a novice ride doesn't mean it's loopy, fizzy etc, it probably means the horse isn't a beginners ride.

Basically above all be honest with the owner, if you aren't you will surely be found out. For being honest you'll probably be rewarded by being welcomed with open arms. The worst the owner can say is Sorry No.... so what have you lost?

Good Luck
wink.gif

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Ring them be honest and have a chat. Lots of people come back into riding after having a break but as others have said sometimes the nerves do kick it when least expected! It wouldn't put me off someone if I was going to share Murph and I would put not novice ride to try and put off the numptys you get! Def check though - it could be mad!!

pottamus

Visit site
Yes, as everyone says, just be honest with the owner. It may be that when you ring to enquire the horse might have major problems that you would not want to deal with anyway...if you don't enquire you don't know so worth a go!
I had not ridden for over 10 years when I got my horse and had only ridden 6 times during that time to get back into it. My horse was a complete nutter and tried every trick in the book when I got him. but despite the lack of knowledge of horse ownership and the huge gap since having ridden...I got through it and live to tell the tale 3 years on...with the same horse...who is no longer a nutter (all the time!!!)
smile.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Just be honest - you will probably both want a trial period anyway to see how you get on. As for the endurance riding bit, most endurance horses would be classed as "not novice rides" as they have to be fairly forward going and think for themselves. The fact that you have had a bit of a gap from riding wouldn't put me off.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'd go and have a couple of lessons before you do anything - first time I rode after 15 years I actually thought 'what the hell am I doing' I was scared stupid!

That was in May, and I'm now galloping, jumping around on my own 10 year old TB.....a few lessons helped as there was no pressure to perform!

matthew

Visit site
Thaks victress that is what i thought i might do-will cost an arm and aleg though and its the end of the before i get payedand im worried if idont call i could miss out on a wicked chance! im going tocall tonight and see!!! im very nervous!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well put soph83, i am sure your confidence will come back, i had a fair gap too whilst my mare was on loan. A few lessons never go amiss really, but as all have said be honest, and give it a go i say, good luck
smile.gif