Is it too soon...

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
To be looking at moving yards? We chose it months ago as the one to move my new horse to but had various difficulties horse shopping and got my beautiful new girl last week. However, she hasn’t been turned out in the three days she’s been at the yard. And apparently unlikely to be turned out tomorrow, as the ground will be wet and therefore slippery. There was rain last night but today it’s been sunny and will be so tomorrow as well. After that it’s rainy all week so I assume no turnout then either...
Needless to say it's not what I thought it was though the other aspects of the yard are lovely. The horses are very well cared for and are walked or go on the walker when not turned out, so she's not stuck in all day, I'll school her lightly and she'll have a leg stretch as well. But it's a massive change for me, where my recent retiree was on DIY and masses of turnout, only in when it was too icy to get to the field. I really enjoyed it there but for a number of reasons it's just not suitable for the new one.
So is it worth sticking it out for a bit longer and seeing if this is just a bad week? Or would you be moving ASAP?

muddybay

Visit site
I wouldn't move just yet but I would keep an eye on it! Mine goes out all year round and I would be frustrated if he wasn't being turned out especially as the weather isn't that bad. I would say give it a few weeks maybe have a word with the Y/O before then and if it's still an issue maybe consider moving.

doodle

Visit site
No I wouldn’t move yet. Give it a few weeks to see how the turnout works. I did move Tom after 2 months, it was due to me hating new yard and moving back to old yard. I felt bad about moving him again but I don’t think it made any difference to him.

paddy555

Visit site
do they have single paddock occupancy? if so I would be wondering. If she had to go in with others then they may consider doing that whilst the ground is slippery could be risky. I would give it a couple of weeks, keep a record as to how she has been kept and then decide. You could ask if they have a quarantine program for newcomers. You could also ask about worming. If newcomers have to be wormed and stay in for X days afterwards.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I would have a quiet off the record chat with some of the long standing liveries, to establish how many days they have been in this winter so far. I would also have a look at the fields, and see if they are safe to walk in? If they are very boggy now, likely to stay like that for the next few months.

It can be a challenge finding a yard that ticks all boxes including safe turnout all winter. I'd maybe look around, but you might not be able to find better without compromising somewhere.

Flame_

Visit site
For me that would depend upon whether there was somewhere better to move to.

I am ok with very restricted turnout - like an hour or so when it's very wet, but not ok with no turnout at all for more than one occasional whole day.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far. None of the horses are going out - she had a strangles test before moving instead of quarantine. Turnout is either individual or pairs, I’d prefer pairs eventually but for the first few times I expect she’ll be individual. I’ve texted a friend who’s at the yard (been up odd hours so haven’t met any liveries in person yet) and she’s said effectively that they’re in when the ground is wet. There’s potentially another place but no idea if it’s better or not, we thought this one was perfect before we came!
ETA her worm count was 0, that was another thing they asked for before she came.

Winters100

Visit site
I'd be moving if the reason for no turnout is wet ground. At this rate she could be in for another two months or more, like many other horses.

Agree 100%. If I waited for dry ground mine would be in for months. My yard rests some paddocks at certain times, and if it is really wet they go out into a smaller paddock than I would ideally like, but they are still out dawn to dusk every single day. Last year they had only one day inside (huge storm and risk of trees coming down).

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
The problem with moving asap is that we’d need to give our month’s notice on Sunday. There are yards that we could move to but we haven’t viewed them so no idea what they’re actually like. But the thought of having a horse stuck in most days for two months is not something I personally consider ethical.
In the meantime I’m just trying to keep her from getting bored with treat balls, toys and licks but that’s hardly a replacement for turnout!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
The problem with moving asap is that we’d need to give our month’s notice on Sunday. There are yards that we could move to but we haven’t viewed them so no idea what they’re actually like. But the thought of having a horse stuck in most days for two months is not something I personally consider ethical.
In the meantime I’m just trying to keep her from getting bored with treat balls, toys and licks but that’s hardly a replacement for turnout!

it depends if there is better locally? If everywhere is on wet clay it might all be restricted winter turnout locally.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think I would stay but quietly look for others options .
My fields are like paddy fields this year , I am not turning out horses on the days they work atm it’s appalling .I hardly ever do this I manage to get them out every day usually .

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
After last nights heavy rain, localised flooding today and more rain this weekend here, you'd be very fortunate to find anywhere that's doing much turnout in my neck of the woods at present (this after a big dump of snow last weekend too). I've seen a lot of moaning on local pages, but most livery yards are over stocked. It's the small yards or own places that are still turning out.
Hang in there till you have physically checked out other yards.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
it depends if there is better locally? If everywhere is on wet clay it might all be restricted winter turnout locally.
I think it ranges locally. In this case I think it’s that there’s not enough land and no winter paddocks. My retired one is currently on heavy clay but they have enough land that the front field gets trashed and the top fields on the slope are fine. Locally all the diy yards are turning out and some of the full liveries. One option is half an hour the opposite way so probably different ground, but haven’t been there in person so can’t say for sure.

Melody Grey

Visit site
It feels like the worst bit of wet winter at the moment, so try not to be too hasty. I agree that turnout is a must (and it would be a dealbreaker for me), but this might be atypical? Can you live with it for a short time if everything else about the yard is so right? Maybe ask other liveries when turnout stopped?

Trouper

Visit site
If the other livery has said that the horses are in when the ground is wet then this sounds like a recurring problem and I, too, would start looking quietly. After all, this is just the time to prove whether the other yard options are true to their words when they say they have winter turnout!!

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
What has the YO said when you've asked about it?
The yard owner has said they will go out when it’s safe to do so - ie, when the ground isn’t slippy. I don’t quite understand why it isn’t safe now - yes the ground is wet but other yards in similar circumstances are turning out currently.

gallopingby

Visit site
Just interested to know what people would do if they live in an area with incessant rain and clay? Maybe relocate to another part of the country?
Whilst agreeing that turnout for at least part of the day is gold standard and if you’re paying for livery you want the best available for the price there does seem to be an awful lot of moving round, swapping yards etc etc how realistic is this? Maybe sometimes you’ve got to run with what you have and work with the facilities available. Sadly we don’t all live in areas of free draining gently undulating land where it only rains once a week for half an hour. Safety is paramount - that’s safety of horses, owners, grooms and long term viability of the land.
Its been sheet ice, several inches thick for weeks now so my outside horses stay where they are, the inside ones do the same until it’s safe for them to move.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
This is why i wont recommend my last livery yard. Great facilities and nice enough owners but absolutely no decent turn out from about October onwards till Spring! Trash pens and walkers are in situ now but for me, not enough! A lot of yards dont mention this when you enquiry and so people must ask this basic question and then keep asking. Do you turn out in winter? Yes! ... ok do they get turned out in grass paddocks for more than 6 hours a day in winter? No will often be the answer!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Just interested to know what people would do if they live in an area with incessant rain and clay? Maybe relocate to another part of the country?
Whilst agreeing that turnout for at least part of the day is gold standard and if you’re paying for livery you want the best available for the price there does seem to be an awful lot of moving round, swapping yards etc etc how realistic is this? Maybe sometimes you’ve got to run with what you have and work with the facilities available. Sadly we don’t all live in areas of free draining gently undulating land where it only rains once a week for half an hour. Safety is paramount - that’s safety of horses, owners, grooms and long term viability of the land.
Its been sheet ice, several inches thick for weeks now so my outside horses stay where they are, the inside ones do the same until it’s safe for them to move.

I wouldnt have horses if i couldnt offer them turn out daily. I couldnt live with myself knowing i was caging an animal like a horse for 20+ hours a day in an open fronted box!