Is it worth cleaning rugs myself..and how???

MrsMagoo

Visit site
I've still gotta get round to getting the girlies rugs cleaned but theres sooo many of them i'm wondering if theres a cheaper way??? what do you guys do??? I prob have about 8 diff rugs i want cleaned....

Thanks
smile.gif

Caritas

Visit site
Laundrette, thats where i take mine!! You may get some funny looks but if there is no notices to say no horse rugs then who cares!!

Louby

Visit site
What do you do about reproofing?
Ive taken my stable rug to the laundrette but it still cost £6, I think rug lady wanted £8. They did do a good job though.
Last year I decided to use dual purpose rugs so they could be left on in the stable. At first I hated him not looking all snug in his jim jams but its been great. His rugs dry very quickly, so no more damp rugs in the morning and my cleaning bill has halved.

Visit site
We take ours to our local tack shop as they have a cleaning service there. I wouldn't do it myself because if you do it wrong you can ruin the waterproof coating on turnout rugs and it is a lot more stressful doing it yourself.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
There is lots of re-proofing stuff for rugs on the market that you can spray them with after cleaning, i spray my own and they are definately waterproof after, i hand washed mine in the bath this time,but i now own a pressure washer which i will give a go after a hand wash in the bath next time which will rinse them quicker,much cheaper then going to cleaners
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Soak them (one at a time!) in an old tub for a few days, rinse every now and then until the pee and mud colour fades away, then fill tub again with some washing up liquid and squig the rug (dunk it up and down,) leave a few hours, take out, get yard broom and scrub it; rinse well and hang up to dry. If it needs reproofing get some spray stuff. Only takes a bit of elbow grease but doesn't cost a fortune!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Did mine myself last year - Soaked in dustbin with rug wash, drained, rinsed, drained and then reproofer turnouts with nik wax. Took then to rug lady this year as too lazy (may regret this decision when I go and pick then up, and have to remorgage!!!)

Louby

Visit site
I used to reproof myself but never thought they were as good, mind you products have probably moved on a bit now.

mandy4727

Visit site
I wash all my thinner rugs like lightweigh turnout rugs and thin stable rugs in my washer. Put socks with bobbles over the buckles and breast straps. Hot wash come up dead clean. Make sure you put hubbies undies in afterwards to pick up all the loose hairs. All the thick rugs and hw to rugs go to local rug woman but costs a fortune. That is why I do the ones I can myself.

parsley

Visit site
I've done mine this year in the children's paddling pool! Put them in the pool and soak for a bit, spread them on the grass put a TINY bit of washing up liquid on and scrub with a clean bristle head broom on both sides until cleam. Put in a pile and stamp on while running hose (preferable to do this on a slope), changing position of pile until water runs clean. Heave onto a couple of garden chairs and leave to more or less dry. Put on the line and leave until dry. Spray with tent waterproofer. Pack away. I've done 8 so far. The first time I put the lightweight turnout on the other night he rolled and it came in covered in mud
crazy.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
I took mine to the laundrette (although there was a big notice saying no heavily soiled items). My laundrette isnt manned so there wasnt anyone to tell me off. Had to wash the turnout twice though as the water was still really dirty after the first wash. Then hung them out on the washing line on one of those nice hot days we had last month. They are now stored in bags with those bounce tumble drier sheets to make them smell nice. I will just be using reproofing spray on the turnout when the time comes
smile.gif

eekmon

Visit site
I usally send mine away but one girl at our yard had a great idea
tongue.gif
She jet washed all of hers!! She has an attatchment to allow detergent to be used and blasted all the stains out! With the fab weather we have had they dried no probs! Also been told tent re proofer works a treat and at half the price so next year thats what I will be doing!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I put mine over the wall and jet wash them with mild detergent. Rinse and leave to dry. Then spray on reproofer...I think is made by Nikwax?

Too expensive to send them away.

I used to take them to local launderette as was open until 9.30pm on a Sunday and deserted! Then felt a bit guilty.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you put hubbies undies in afterwards to pick up all the loose hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]
RAOFLMAO.......you wicked woman!
grin.gif

Seriously though, I put a load of bath towels in afterwards, as the tumble dryer then removes all the hair from them!
crazy.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I only buy lightweight indoor and outdoor rugs and layer them. All rugs go in my washer - an LG Intellowasher, which deals with them manfully and reguarly - as soon as my OH has his back turned of course. I don't re-proof as I have lots of spares and mine don't stay out too long in the awful weather. Lord knows what folks with 6'3" combis do. Cry a lot, I guess.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
PMSL never thought to put hubbies undies in for all those loose hairs!
laugh.gif
What a brill idea!

I wash mine in the washer and then I have bought a big tin of reproofer (waterproofs tents etc costs £27.99 from tent shop in Keswick
grin.gif
) and I just paint that on.....it is excellent and does nearly all my rugs.

The thicker ones I am going to get cleaned at our launderette £8 and then reproof myself.

hotpot

Visit site
NEVER THOUGHT OF power washer what a great idea and the tent reproofing liquid is great to as i done mine last year and the reproofing liquid i brought did not work so thank you you lot some really good surgestions .