Is it worth reporting a near miss

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I reported one on the bhs website a while ago. An idiot who revved his engine and the drove straight at us narrowly missing me and doing way more than the speed limit. They replied advising to report to police on non emergency number.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I reported a near miss earlier this year. It was a taxi and I got the firm name and description of car so I knew the firm could identify the driver from time and place. I complained to the taxi firm and also reported to police. I was told that although they couldnt do anything as such from one report, if another incident involving the same car was received it would help to prosecute if needed. So yes, definitely report it!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I reported a near miss earlier this year. It was a taxi and I got the firm name and description of car so I knew the firm could identify the driver from time and place. I complained to the taxi firm and also reported to police. I was told that although they couldnt do anything as such from one report, if another incident involving the same car was received it would help to prosecute if needed. So yes, definitely report it!

Second this.

BSL

Visit site
Yep. I now wear a go pro camera on the roads. Most people are lovely. But it only takes one numpty and to be honest, i'm fed up with them now. No more chances... Drivers put me or mine at risk/ break the law..I'm reporting. Just to add, what really annoys me, is the majority of times we are talking about "seconds" , thats all most of us are asking for. A few seconds to get out of the way.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
It is always worth reporting. If 10 people had the same near miss, then there is clearly an issue. If noone reports..there is no issue.

Pedantic

Visit site
Tending to wear my go pro when hacking now, either I'm noticing it more, getting less tolerant to it, or there are just more ar*****s driving on the roads.

Sunday, don't know if this will play or not, if it does turn your sounds off if easily offended, my usual language when put in danger by idiots, and yes it's designated track for horse's cyclist's people, we aren't riding on a path.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pas...ck_reaction_generic&notif_id=1476657447313325

Michen

Visit site
Yup I reported a driver who purposely beeped his horn to scare my horse a few years ago. Police took it seriously and he was sent a letter with a warning that a second similar report would have bigger consequences (essentially!)

majors

Visit site
Tending to wear my go pro when hacking now, either I'm noticing it more, getting less tolerant to it, or there are just more ar*****s driving on the roads.

Sunday, don't know if this will play or not, if it does turn your sounds off if easily offended, my usual language when put in danger by idiots, and yes it's designated track for horse's cyclist's people, we aren't riding on a path.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pas...dback_reaction_generic¬if_id=1476657447313325

My language was worst������

Sparkles

Visit site
I would say nothing bad could come of it.

The other month we had an absolute t%*& whilst out driving the Coblet. Country road, long slow steam engine rally going down the road that we were passing (both of us on the correct road side as were going opposite ways) Road was empty behind us when we originally started going past, then about half way down past the steam engine, a very chaved up boy racer car came hurtling behind us, slammed on the brakes last minute behind us and proceeded to stay literally a few inches away from the back of our cart, revving and shouting 'p%) k £s' out the windows, and beeping the horn incessantly. Had got clear of passing the steam engine and they had a clear road to overtake us, but still remained on our arse hollering, revving and beeping. We couldn't stop as they were so close to us the whole time I didn't feel I even had the space to stop safely without them bumping our cart. Eventually I shouted at them and they pulled out alongside, I stopped and then they proceeded to put their fingers up at us, stop alongside us on the other side of the road and then proceed to wheelspin off.

I was furious but couldn't do anything as was too busy driving him, but friend took a photo of the car and got the number plate. We rang the police and the lady took it very seriously and said she would find out who it was registered to and send them a warning letter that an incident has been reported on them and that if any further incidents reported to them, they would have more serious action taken against them.

The lady's words were 'Shame your horse didn't leave a nice big hoof print in their car!' though I did think I'd rather he didn't lol.

We got a follow up courtesy call a couple of days later to say this had been followed up and done, but that was all we could do about it really. Hopefully if someone else reports them, it can potentially save another not so quiet neddy having to deal with utter idiots like them.

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
Definitely report as police do have "flagged" vehicle's on their databases. I got road raged (in my car) and reported to police who said thank you we are aware of this driver's actions and will take this further. If they don't know they can't act.

Damnation

Visit site
Always report it.

The worst they can do is do nothing which would happen if you didn't report it.

The standard of driving on the whole is getting worse. Twice in 5 minutes on the motorway last week two people tried to merge INTO me on 3 occasions. One van who tried to pull out when I was overtaking him and a wagon not once but TWICE despite me beeping at him, I was halfway up the side of him and there was traffic in the outside lane. Second time someone merging onto the motorway almost into me, I hadn't moved from the inside lane due to a motorbike in the middle lane. I had to straddle two lanes to avoid her and the motorbike, she hadn't even looked. Thankfully she was in a little car because my bonnet was in line with her back doors, but along side her straddling two lanes! Thankfully motorbike moved when he realised what happened so I could move out.

It concerns me hugely, I will be purchasing front and rear dashcams at the first opportunity I get, and I am very tempted to get a helmet cam for the girl who rides my horse out. She is insured to the hilt on my insurance but if god forbid something happens I want evidence to nail the a*******e that does it!