Is it worth?

GinaB

Visit site
Buying a cheap horse needing brought back into work? Obviously I wouldn't be doing it on my own, I'd have help. Eg good fitness and feeding regime, being taught how to lunge them etc before actually starting to ride them again. Say they've maybe been off work for around 6 months? Suppose it depends on their temperament as well. It seems many of these horses are coming up for sale now.

Or would most of you say it would be too much hard work to buy one as a first horse? (I have loaned horses before, but they are riding school ones)

samsaccount

Visit site
Unless you were to buy something similar to the ones you have ridden previously (if you are used to riding school cobs i wouldn't suggest you go buy a 5yro tb).

But if buy a horse with a nice temprement and has been good to ride when they were previously fit and you are getting help i don't see why you shouldn't buy a horse to bring back into work.

Other people would probably disagree with me

annaellie

Visit site
Depends on the breed, and how good the help is and age is a big factor for me, I always want to know why the horse has been out of work for so long, The rewards that you get of doing this far outway sitting on a ready schooled horse imo

miamibear

Visit site
I would say it depends on the horse.

I bought mine as an unfit 8yo out of work for winter, spring and start of summer. I have a feeling it was due to abcess out of coronet band because horse had big crack down hoof - quite a mess.

However he has turned out to be my saviour, i suffered a total loss of confidence and he brought it back. However i wouldnt consider myself to be a novice, im not really experienced either.

I have fed him the best, got his hooves sorted out and hacked and done some schooling with him. Took him to his first prelim test and got 64% so its worked for me.

I would reccomend buying in summer (or at the start of) because that gives you time to get used to the horse before you get in to winter which can be a sticky point due to temperament change and less time to ride.

It did work for me but i had previous experience of owning my own and riding to prelim dressage level and hacking out.

xx

samsaccount

Visit site
Maybe it is also worth buying a horse which has been off work for 6 months or so rather than 2 years or so, as they are more likley to be brought back into work easier, the fitter they were before been turned away will determain how long it will take them to become fit again.

I am also considering buying one and bringing it back into work and putting it on loan or selling it on before uni, mainly for more experience. So i think it is certainly worth it in the end. As anna said it is fare more benefical for you than just sitting on a read schooled one imo.

GinaB

Visit site
I'm not planning on buying anything younger than 8. The horse I ride currently is a 10 yo ex eventer, and a bit of a jessie! Known to shy away from lunge whips, other horses and wheelbarrows!
laugh.gif

I have seen a horse that is 11yo, 15hh gelding described as a forward going schoolmaster which is what I'm really looking. Apparently out of work for 6months due to young owner losing interest. But at £950, this seems v.v.vcheap even though he has been out of work? He looks like he needs a good bit of work, but in saying that his winter woolies probably aren't helping matters!
laugh.gif

miamibear

Visit site
That does sound cheap - a bit too cheap even for being out of work for 6 months.

I would say go and have a look but usually off work for 6 months unless there was a valid reason means they could be trying to hide something - maybe my sceptical mind!!

I would say winter is possibly the hardest time to bring a horse back in to work because you cant be consistant unless you are really lucky and have an indoor school and total off road hacking because of the weather.

Dont let me put you off though, it is the wrong time of year to be selling so bargains can be had, go and have a look - cant do any harm!!

xx

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thats what I have done with Spring.
This is what I bought:

P10105891.jpg

After 4 months:

Springjune06020.jpg

And this is her after 9 months:

DSC_1221.jpg

I think you have to be careful as to why they were turned away, make sure it is not due to an injury as you could be buying a whole heap of trouble! It can be done though and is very rewarding, although there is always a reason why they are cheap and have been turned away so make sure you know the reason and are happy to deal with it. Horses can be a different kettle of fish when fully fit! Good luck!

luane1

Visit site
As Lucy_Spring says try and find out as much as you can. Over here you should be able to find out more than the owners are saying. You need to make sure young owner didnt have problems which is why she gave up if it was just lack of interest you could have yourself a great bargain. Good Luck and maybe we will see you out somewhere

gailt

Visit site
I bought one that was pretty cheap...1k...it had apparently been out of work for 6months due to work commitments...as i was working this horse it turned out to have a slight lameness problem..it ended up going for xrays etc and turned out that it had been nerved blocked years previously. for navicular..the horse was a cob so had lots of feathering to hide the scars..my advice would be buyer beware! get the horse vetted at least..but good luck it can be fun and you will certainly get to know the horse quicker...

Chex

Visit site
Agree with others, depends on the horse. Mine will have been pretty much out of work for six months by the time I can get back to riding (he's done a bit of long reining and my mum has pottered about on him a few months ago). But I have no worries about bringing him back to work, I know he'll be exactly the same as he was before, and we'll just start slow. However I know some horses that can flip out when they're asked to work again. I think a lot would depend on if the horse has been handled for 6 months, or literally just left in a field. In my experience it can be a bit pot luck with horses!