Is my horse correctly injected?!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Other horse to my previous post!
Last year he was due end of March but I had it in my head that he was due end of May as he’d previously been done in May but for some reason In 2017 I had him done in March 😩
So he went over due.
He was done in May 2018 and had a second one, not sure of the date off the top of my head but about 6 weeks after. That time scale was correct but I’m a bit worried he should have had a third?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh bollocks, vet didn’t mention that :(
I’d assumed those two then back to yearly.
This could be a major f*** up actually as I’m waiting to hear on an insurance claim 😢

Leo Walker

Visit site
It wont affect an insurance claim unless that claim is for flu or tetanus! I once missed an entire year out. I'm still not sure how, but I did. The insurance company flagged it, but more in a are you sure he wasnt registered with another vet at that time kind of way. They paid out no issues though.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I did that last year and had to start again, fortunately mine had his 3rd at the end of November. A lot of vets will send you a vet to remind you when the injections are due so ask yours if they will. Your tetanus will be fine though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It wont affect an insurance claim unless that claim is for flu or tetanus! I once missed an entire year out. I'm still not sure how, but I did. The insurance company flagged it, but more in a are you sure he wasnt registered with another vet at that time kind of way. They paid out no issues though.
I hope so! No it’s nothing to do with flu or tetanus, I’m just in such a stress over them paying (it’s a cloudy one to put mildly) that when they asked for a copy of his passport and vaccination record I nearly cried 😩

thedutchess

Visit site
Oh bollocks, vet didn’t mention that :(
I’d assumed those two then back to yearly.
This could be a major f*** up actually as I’m waiting to hear on an insurance claim 😢

As long as the claim is not related to a virus that we inject as a preventative you will be fine, i just had to claim and the horse i brought hadn't been vaccinated since 2009! they did ask for his vaccination record which he didnt have i was completely honest and they paid out i hope this helps.

Ossy2

Visit site
Its to check if he has been registered with other vet practices. Its to catch people out who are trying to get pre existing conditions through on the sly.
Yip this, I have one cheap and chearful vet to vaccinate and a better vet with quick referrals to where I’d want to be referred too for everything else so my insurance would want to be sure what the referral vet is claiming for hasn’t been looked at previously by the the vaccination vet.
It’s one of the reasons why people tend to be registered with more than 1 or even 2 vets 😏

Annagain

Visit site
There's a really handy link to an excel spreadsheet to check your flu jabs here: https://www.v-vrc.com/flu-vac-checker/

Sadly, your third jab was due on Jan 9th poiuytrewq so you'll have to start again but I really don't think it will affect your claim as it's not flu related. I check passports for BRC Area competitions and you'd be amazed how many vacc records are wrong - usually because people don't realise they need a third one. You really won't be the first! There is one caveat, for competition purposes at least. They changed the rule recently and as long as you have 5 years of booster jabs that are all in order, you only have to have the first two jabs, the third can be disregarded. This is because the 5 years of booster should have given enough protection.

Violet

Visit site
They changed the rule recently and as long as you have 5 years of booster jabs that are all in order, you only have to have the first two jabs, the third can be disregarded. This is because the 5 years of booster should have given enough protection.

Where can I find the research for this and the ruling?

Annagain

Visit site
No idea about the research (We were told the reason why in a presentation by BRC but not been given any paperwork) but the rule is in the BRC handbook page 20.

G7.1: Vaccinations against Equine Influenza
This rule applies in respect of any horse or pony which competes in a BRC Area Qualifier and Championship.

The horse or pony must have been vaccinated against equine influenza by a veterinary surgeon who is not the owner of the animal, in accordance with the following rules:

The horse or pony must have received a primary injection followed by:
• a second primary injection which is given not less than 21 days and not more than 92 days after the first
• a first booster injection which is given not less than 150 days and not more than 215 days after the second primary injection
• further annual booster injections at intervals of not more than a year apart.

If the current vaccination programme started AFTER 1 January 2014:
• the first two primary injections must be correct i.e. the second given between 21 and 92 days after the first
• the first booster must be given between 150 and 215 days after the second primary injection
• all annual boosters must be correct.

However, any errors with first booster (which should be given 150 – 215 days after the second primary injection) or annual booster given BEFORE 1 January 2014 may be ignored provided that:
• the first two primary injections are correct i.e. the second given between 21 and 92 days after the first
• all annual boosters given AFTER 1 January 2014 are correct.

Leap years will be ignored for an annual booster, but for the two primary injections and first booster injection, the days must be counted and therefore a leap year would interfere with the correct number of days between injections.

Horses may compete at BRC Competitions providing that they have had the first two primary injections.

No injection should have been given on any of the 6 days before a competition or entry to championship stables. For example: if the horse is vaccinated on the Monday, the horse will not be eligible to enter championship stables, or compete until the following Monday.

In the event of failure to comply with any of the requirements of this rule, the horse or pony will be disqualified and not permitted to take part in any competition to which these rules apply.

oldie48

Visit site
My companion for rose was vaccinated prior to her arriving here but checking her passport I see that she missed her vaccination in 2018. Vacc on 07.04.17 and then 25.01.19. Actually she missed her vaccs by the odd month in 2016 too. She's retired so won't be leaving here unless she goes back to her owner so adhering to the "rules" is unimportant but I want her properly protected for my peace of mind, can I get away with just the second vaccination this time and vaccinate annually after that? She has been correctly vaccinated from 2007 up to 2015. Obviously I'll speak to my vet but just wandered what the situation is.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Yes, hes out of date. 150 to 210 days for 3rd jab.

Jab 1,
Jab 2, 21 to 90 days
Jab 3, 150 to 210 days

Just beware that although this is correct for competing, the vaccine manufacturers state that injection 2 should be within 28 days. My vet said insurers are sometimes refusing to pay out on flu if people are outside of the manufacturers recommended timings even if they are compliant for competing. I have just repeated 2 for Dolly because my existing jab 2 was 85 days after jab 1 and so on my vet's advice I am ignoring the first jab, counting the one after 85 days as jab 1 and have just done another jab 2 within 28 days. (Poor pony!)

Squeak

Visit site
My companion for rose was vaccinated prior to her arriving here but checking her passport I see that she missed her vaccination in 2018. Vacc on 07.04.17 and then 25.01.19. Actually she missed her vaccs by the odd month in 2016 too. She's retired so won't be leaving here unless she goes back to her owner so adhering to the "rules" is unimportant but I want her properly protected for my peace of mind, can I get away with just the second vaccination this time and vaccinate annually after that? She has been correctly vaccinated from 2007 up to 2015. Obviously I'll speak to my vet but just wandered what the situation is.

I'm in pretty much the same situation, my vets told me that until my retired horse has restarted the injections and had the second injection I shouldn't take even my vaccinated horses to competitions etc. due to a reduced herd immunity. Gutted, to say the least!!

Violet

Visit site
No idea about the research (We were told the reason why in a presentation by BRC but not been given any paperwork) but the rule is in the BRC handbook page 20.

However, any errors with first booster (which should be given 150 – 215 days after the second primary injection) or annual booster given BEFORE 1 January 2014 may be ignored provided that:
• the first two primary injections are correct i.e. the second given between 21 and 92 days after the first
• all annual boosters given AFTER 1 January 2014 are correct.

Thank you.
Interesting ruling, have not seen it anywhere else. Must be confusing for BRC members who wish to compete elsewhere.
Would be interesting to see the research behind this as it is more commonly advised to vaccinate 6 monthly for equine flu.
I believe it is widely known that the efficacy of the vaccine usually wears off over time. It would be interesting to know how recently the vaccinated horses which have been diagnosed with the current flu have been done. Although most of them appears to be unvaccinated horses at the moment.