Is my pony too fat?!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Photo of said pony:BFFC2C43-D46E-43DB-93FC-FD39E53E0EE0.jpeg

I’m hoping I’m just being a bit of a worrier.

Background/more info:
He’s just turned 6 and he’s in light work; he is exercised 5 days a week. Normally lunged once a week for 20 minutes, schooled 2 days a week for 20-30 mins, hacked once a week for an hour and a half and jumped once a week. He’s fed a token size of pony nuts. His field is not exactly overflowing with lush grass. His old owner told me she tried putting weight on him so he could carry her, and since then he’s lost a bit but not much. You can feel his ribs, but can’t see them. He was weighed by saracens when I first got him and she gave him a body score of 6/7.

(He has had a week off, so is probably a bit porkier than normal!)

I really hope I’m just being a stresshead, but I know if I’m going to get any honesty/good advice it’s here!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Old owner tried putting weight on him so he could carrier her? Eh?! (Handsome chap by the way, wouldn't want him any porkier though).

Right?! That’s what I thought when she told me. A chubby horse isn’t going to be able to carry more!!

Reactions: DD

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It’s about a quarter of a scoop

Unless your scoop is tiny, I would cut that down, too. Don't cut it out, because it is a nice incentive for your pony to come to you but you could give some sort of grass chaff instead if your research shows that it is less fattening - that will depend on your pony nuts.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Unless your scoop is tiny, I would cut that down, too. Don't cut it out, because it is a nice incentive for your pony to come to you but you could give some sort of grass chaff instead if your research shows that it is less fattening - that will depend on your pony nuts.

Thank you. I will definitely start cutting it down and start looking into grass chaff. He’s only on pony nuts because when I bought him, he was being fed two large feeds of chaff and nuts and that’s gradually been cut down to what it is now. I’m not very experienced with horse feed and knowing what to feed properly, so thank you for some advice!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I wouldn’t necessarily up the schooling, I’d up the hacking. At 6 he’s still relatively young and I wouldn’t want to risk souring him in the school, especially when you’ve got lunging too. I find hacking good for the mind and excellent to keep them fit!

That’s very true! Thank you. Would you swap a schooling day for a hacking day or ride 6 days a week with 2 hacking days? Sorry for seeming like a complete and utter beginner - I just want to do the best by him and help shed a bit of his tum and up his fitness!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I would cut a schooling/lunging day and possibly ride 7 days a week, he isn't in hard enough work to need a rest day, really.

Cool, that sounds reasonable. I rode 5 days a week because he was so unfit that 15 minutes in the school or a 30 minute hack with trotting tired him out and I guess I haven't really considered to change it now he's gaining fitness. And, I guess, he won't gain any more fitness unless I push him a bit more!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think there’s no harm in riding 7 days since you’re already starting from a reasonable level of fitness, provided the days are varied in intensity (both physically and mentally)!

wattamus

Visit site
Happy Hoof is a really good feed for those who need feed but are a bit chubby.all of mine live on fresh air!
Two of mine have Cushing's and one of them needs Bute every day so they get a small scoop of happy hoof to get it down them. The other has vitamin E as she has liver issues so she has a small scoop too.
It's really palatable and low calorie (in reasonable amounts) laminitis and vet approved and very cheap compared to the other feeds on the market :)

Nicnac

Visit site
He's lovely. Agree with what others have said re:work and not putting anymore weight on. Why not just give him a balancer split between two feeds-he doesn't need hard feed. One of mine has balancer and grass (not lush) in the summer and he events.

J_sarahd

Visit site
He's lovely. Agree with what others have said re:work and not putting anymore weight on. Why not just give him a balancer split between two feeds-he doesn't need hard feed. One of mine has balancer and grass (not lush) in the summer and he events.

Thank you! I'll look into that :)

J_sarahd

Visit site
Don't feed happy hoof it has molasses in it! I feed my fatties a handful of pure easy its really good but only a handful. To me your pony looks fine, don't overwork him in the school, hacking is the best way forward.

I've heard a bit about pure easy, so I'll definitely look into it. Thank you, yeah I'm going to rethink my exercise regime with him and start including more hacking. It's just my own nervousness when hacking that is the reason I only do it once, but he's so good to hack so I don't know why I worry!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
lovely chap, doesnt need any more weight and agree do lots of hacking, use any hills to get him fitter and lose a bit of weight.... ..i suppose the old owner was thinking of the percentage of the horses weight so thought if he was heavier he could carry more..... never heard of this before but suppose it is almost logical even though it is absolute rubbish....the more overweight they are the less human weight they should be carrying not more.. the more hacking you do the more confident you will become and it will be more fun for both of you...

windand rain

Visit site
Emerald green grass chaff is well received by my lot and it is completely chemical free as are their grass nuts, No pesticides and no herbicides are used in the fields they are grown locally to me and will point you to the field it was grown in if you have the code off the bag they are so keen on tracability.

HeyMich

Visit site
I've heard a bit about pure easy, so I'll definitely look into it.

I'd call Pure Feeds and ask advice - they recommended that I used their Fibre Balance for my mare (ulcer prone, but a v good doer) , as I wanted super low cal/sugar, no alfa, no NIS, no molasses etc. I feed it to all of mine now, and they're all glowing on it (but still keeping the chub off!)

Lois Lame

Visit site
Emerald green grass chaff is well received by my lot and it is completely chemical free as are their grass nuts, No pesticides and no herbicides are used in the fields they are grown locally to me and will point you to the field it was grown in if you have the code off the bag they are so keen on tracability.

That stuff sounds good, windand rain. Presumably it's not just grass but good herbs as well, if no pesticides are used.

I agree with the others, J. I think your fellow looks very well. Trust yourself. I think you're doing a good job.

DD

Visit site
WHW etc usually have videos on you tube about condition scoring. watching those and then CS your pony will tell you if its too fat or not.