Is seven miles a long ride?

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
In your opinion, do you think seven miles is a long ride for a pony that is worked usually worked 6 x a week, 3 hacks and 3 schooling sessions(including two lessons)? Only walk and trot no cantering. Just wondering as me and my friend are divided in our views!

NZJenny

Visit site
No - they should cope fine. On the work you are doing they should be fine to do 20 km (12.5 miles).

Have fun!

JenTaz

Visit site
I wouldnt say so, as long as you listen to the pony and give enough walking rest breaks from trotting then she should be fine, I don't get to hack very often, very fussy in terms of ground conditions as believe we are lucky to have such good bridlepaths they aren't worth ruining when too wet, so only hack when its dry, shortest hack is about 7 miles including a few fields to canter through and the rest is road work, and i'd quite happily do this on my horse when he's only ridden 3/4 times a week in the school, but i take it at his pace.

Annagain

Visit site
Bearing in mind horses walk at about 4-5mph, that's probably only about an hour and 20 mins by the time you add a bit of trot in.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, pony has gone lame after that length hack yesterday, my friend/instructor is convinced it's because she went out for too long - but to me it, like stated, felt like an average sort of ride. Interesting to hear other people's opinions.

BSL

Visit site
In your opinion, do you think seven miles is a long ride for a pony that is worked usually worked 6 x a week, 3 hacks and 3 schooling sessions(including two lessons)? Only walk and trot no cantering. Just wondering as me and my friend are divided in our views!

As long as tack is well fitting, rider of suitable size and mount healthy, definitely not.

flaxen

Visit site
My pony did over 10miles in under 2 hrs before he had a fall and he did that 6 days 1 week and 5 days the next and all roadwork or grass verge beside road.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, pony has gone lame after that length hack yesterday, my friend/instructor is convinced it's because she went out for too long - but to me it, like stated, felt like an average sort of ride. Interesting to hear other people's opinions.

Pony may well be lame due to doing something on the hack, treading on a stone and bruising his foot, knocking himself somewhere but it will not be because he was out for too long, that 7 mile ride would be less work than the average lesson and you say you have 2 lessons a week, it sounds like an easy day with just an unlucky outcome.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Pony may well be lame due to doing something on the hack, treading on a stone and bruising his foot, knocking himself somewhere but it will not be because he was out for too long, that 7 mile ride would be less work than the average lesson and you say you have 2 lessons a week, it sounds like an easy day with just an unlucky outcome.

Agree - also is your pony barefoot? if so it may have been unused to the surfaces on your hack?

Its also worth double checking your tack and its fit

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
No she's shod in front, I thought she might have stood on a stone and bruised her sole. The vet is coming tomorrow anyway but I've been feeling guilty all evening thinking Id been out for far too long like my friend said - I'm reassured now it was probably something on the hack that caused it not the hack itself!

Pigeon

Visit site
No, that's what I would consider a good solid hack though. We do that once or twice a week and my pone's not even very fit. A long ride would be like what we used to do as a kid on sundays, and be out for five hours!

Irish gal

Visit site
I wouldn't think so...I brought a similar query up with a farmer friend recently and his answer was along the following lines: 'My grandfather would tell me that he often drove the horse ten miles to mass and back, pulling the family in a trap, and then he took her out from under it and went hunting.' It's what they're designed to do :)

Merrymoles

Visit site
Our standard "round the block" is four miles so I'm another one who agrees that seven isn't much at all.

At my old yard, which had better hacking, we would probably do that twice every weekend and some of our hacks were much longer - up to 14 miles.

pennyturner

Visit site
Good grief. My Section A would do twice that, carrying an adult, at a non-stop trot, without losing his sparkle... and he's only pulled out of a field once a week.