Is she good enough

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I will keep this as brief as possible..I have bought a 7 year old mare with an AES passport. She is as absolute darling, moves and jumps nicely and hubby was planning to start low level eventing however a very serious car crash and badly broken femur later he won't be riding any time soon. So we were entertaining the possibility of breeding from her. My daughter who is 11 rides her and we were thinking timing wise, a foal would be right age for her to produce when she is moving onto horses BUT I know there are lots of horses out there so I would only entertain this if she is good enough as it's wrong to put more "just ok" horses on the ground...as I say this would be for us not for selling.

Dam is cavaliers rhapsody

Cavalier royale /Glenrevaghs pride so she has king of diamonds on dam side

Sire is temple Valentino

Orame/Olympia b so has indoctro, capitol l, Ramiro z and cavalier on sire side

I can't figure how to put actual photo on here of passport but can list it all if it's better?

Thanks for your time and any advice as to vets/facilitws in north Devon who are recommended would be great

ihatework

Visit site
There are lots of pros and cons.
Given your location I’d say you are probably best to go to Newton Stud - they can advise you of the process, the risks and then they are well located to do the Vet work and any future foaling down / weaning etc

TheMule

Visit site
In your situation I would probably look to loan her to a trusted home for a couple of years to get her out there and doing before your daughter takes over- a 13yr old on a green 9yr old who hasn't worked for a long while is not an ideal situation for either horse or rider, plus of course there is an inherent risk to the mare in breeding.
If you do want a foal I agree with the above suggestion of Newton Stud, be prepared to throw a whole heap of money at it and research as best you can....

nicolenlolly

Visit site
In your situation I would probably look to loan her to a trusted home for a couple of years to get her out there and doing before your daughter takes over- a 13yr old on a green 9yr old who hasn't worked for a long while is not an ideal situation for either horse or rider, plus of course there is an inherent risk to the mare in breeding.
If you do want a foal I agree with the above suggestion of Newton Stud, be prepared to throw a whole heap of money at it and research as best you can....

Thank you The Mule for your reply, my daughter wouldn't be riding her long term, all I mean is that she is mannerly and sweet enough, we took her over to a friend to school in her arena, my daughter wouldn't take over the ride until she is at least 15 and strong enough mentally as well as physically to deal with any potential warm blood strop! The thread is exactly as you suggest, starting some research now so that next year if I feel it is the correct route we can send her to somewhere like Newton who look fabulous! I will send them an email this evening introducing ourselves and asking what their availability might be next year. Thanks again for your time xx

Clodagh

Visit site
I would, I loved breeding my foal. Mine wasn't a great success and you have to allow for that but it was a wonderful experience.
When looking for a stallion just remember temperament is all, there is no point having the most well conformed, able horse in the world if it is not rideable.
A decent pic of your mare would be good, then people can suggest stallions.