Is she true black?

Myloubylou

Visit site
My new sec d mare is passported black, is out of a bay stallion & black mare. She’s got patches of what looks like dun on her. Just her summer coat or sun bleached? Very pretty!

Last edited:

Mucking out - still

Visit site
Mine is passported black but sun bleaches to a chestnutty (my word!!) sheen in some angles. He also has very cute fluff in his ears that is grey. I would describe him as black-brown, though happy to say black in line with passport as it's my favourite colour!! Nightmare to keep clean though - no easier than greys imo :rolleyes:

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
My Welsh cob is down as dark bay/black on his passport, and is definitely more dark bay than black. Your girl looks much more black than my chap. Even in the winter he looks just about dark bay, probably black from a distance if you squint, but in summer he's a definite dark bay. Nice dappled bum and everything. Your girl is lovely!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Well she doesn't have the brown nose, eyeshadow and 'wheel arches' of a Seal Brown, so could be black with a bit of sun bleaching.
Are wheel arches the bit around the sheath/udder? Hehe, never heard that before! Henry has a pale "bikini line". And a brown nose.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Are wheel arches the bit around the sheath/udder? Hehe, never heard that before! Henry has a pale "bikini line". And a brown nose.

Yes! :D The way that the brown often spreads up to the bottom of the flank area from underneath including that bit of skin that arches from the hind leg to the body. It was someone on here who called it that (sorry can't remember who) and I thought it was a great description. :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup black :)

I think there is a theory/building evidence that the more fading blacks tend to have nd1 (I'd have to check, but it's interesting if so).

little_critter

Visit site
So is mine black or dark bay? If you stand her next to my friends Fresians you can see they are blacker than she is. I think you can also see a difference between her body and her points.
D47BB271-27C3-4591-9016-E468D8A9FB89.jpeg