Is there a market left for anything equestrian?!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Think I may of just found my new business opportunity. Having natives and one cushings and one IR horse I can sympathise with people who are at yards and now they must struggle. I think these days more people are finding out about these conditions and more aware. A lot of pasture is enriched and actually no good for any horse being too rich. I graze mine at safer times of year but I've re seeded with meadow low sugar herb mix.
I think this spring I'll turn a few more fields over to that and start fencing the other woodland we have. Make another large starvation paddock with stations for hay and hard standing in the gate ways and troff area (soooo much easier) and seriously think about some stables or open barn structure. We have fantastic riding here and also on the edge of dartmoor so good riding there too. I had no idea it would be that much p/w per horse. Sorry to boycot your post but I'm glad I saw it as we've been discussing all winter what way to go to get extra money. If the government stop our farming subsidies we literally will be running at a loss!! I've recently got into rarer breeds poultry and we do well with turkeys at Xmas but that I think livery wise could be the stable income we really need.

Seriously I wasn't kidding when I said stay away from it. There are a lot of ex !ivery yard owners for a reason. It may sound like easy money but it really isn't and overheads for any commercial livery venture are huge (not to mention your initial investment if you're not currently set up for horses).

AliSpin

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! It’s a place that has been designed for another business so it’s a job deciding in which direction to go! The market here is more DIY, but I feel DIY has a poor reputation sometimes - I’d like to offer bespoke but affordable. Stable plus the choice of individual or paired turnout, individual & lockable storage, heated secure tack room, large outdoor arena. The yard manager (ie me) is BHSIT, BHSSM, UKCC 3, Pilates level 3 & Equipilates Biomechanical Trainer so fitness & biomechanics on site, as I will be as well as there is a house.....oh & im married to a farrier so shoeing is no problem 😂😂

AliSpin

New User
Visit site
A barefoot rehab yard. Badly needed in every part of the country except the southwest.

Premium rates for what is essentially grass/track livery, minimal owner input, terrific satisfaction in saving condemned horses from PTS
Located in the southwest & married to a farrier so don’t think I’d get the thumbs up for barefoot 😂😂

hellfire

Visit site
I am probably in the minority, but I would happily pay £75 per week for good 24/7 grass or track livery if it could come with full care, forage, storage, shelter and somewhere to tie up. I'd be nearer £100 if it had good hacking and a school with lights. You would still need to offer pay as you go stables for poorly horses.

I don't have a horse at present, with no plans for another - and a large part of that decision is the impossibility of finding somewhere I want to keep one! 24/7 is no good in a swamp so the ground and service quality would be crucial.
Never ha
Seriously I wasn't kidding when I said stay away from it. There are a lot of ex !ivery yard owners for a reason. It may sound like easy money but it really isn't and overheads for any commercial livery venture are huge (not to mention your initial investment if you're not currently set up for horses.
Working and managing at a yard years ago I understand the amount of work and s@*t involved let alone the cost which has put me off going this rout before. I think personally I rather the DIY aspect but with the option for natives and lami prone horses. It wouldn't cost a astronomical amount to re seed a few paddocks for that purpose and the woods needs total re fencing anyway. Livery is a LOT of work especially if I had to employ and honestly looking at figures in not sure would be a big income unless it was on a large scale and stables etc were already existing. We have 4 old stables down one yard but they are old and in need of too much work to be useable. I do think I may try DIY again but I charged £10 per horse pw before and not sure of today's going rate for grazing, water, and basic concrete yard with tie points. That's all it is. I have my horses on the bottom part of the farm and all my own facilities there and I'm afraid I won't share no matter how much someone pays me 😂. I've had people turn up begging but like my own place to much.

asmp

Visit site
It won't earn you a lot of money but what I would like, if you had good hacking, is somewhere I could park my trailer and go for different rides on my horse. I know there are farms in some counties where for a small fee you can park and ride.

windand rain

Visit site
I offer full grass retirement livery including fibre feed, hay and all the usual jobs poo picking, rug changing, holding for the farrier and vet and giving any care the old boy needs It works out at about £30 per week or maybe slightly less think we are cheap but we have had him here for a while now and love him to bits so wouldnt want to raise his livery charge if we lost him we would charge a bit more