Is there a trailer out there that can hold a 18.1hh giant?!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Looking into hiring a trailer for a few months, but would have to hold my big beast, does such a thing exist?!

He's very chunky and 'well built' if you like. I can get one for my other three but really need something to take the big man to the beach.

Sorry about my lurking and random posts for advice/help!

Posie

Visit site
My friends 18hh goes in their old Rice trailer, with room :) They've had him and their 16.3 in there together no bother.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
My 18h1" Shire mare, with quite a length of neck and crest, travels comfortably in an Ifor Williams 510. Their newer 511 would be fine.

rockysmum

Visit site
Not sure about issues like weight, but if you are just talking about physically fitting in there are a few things to look at.

I had to sell my 2x16.2 trailer as my 16.2 warmbloods ears were squashed on the ceiling. Its because she carries her head very high.

My oldie is only 15.1 but I had to squash him into a 2 x 16.2 as he is very long (6'9" rug)

My 510 is supposed to carry 2 x 17.2 and I think it would easily. Plenty of headroom and its very long front to back, my oldie doesn't use all the available space.

What I mean by all of that is the height at the withers is not a good indicator of whether a trailer is right for a horse.

Could you borrow one of the big ones, a 510 for example and try him in. Its the only way I can think of.

I did once see a huge Shire being loaded into the biggest Rice trailer. They had removed the partition and he had the whole trailer, he must have been 18.2. I wouldn't have wanted to drive it though.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
He's quite short in the body and legs, but chunky. He takes a 7'3 rug but he's actually quite short. I'll try a 510 or 511 and see how it goes. Thanks for everyone's help, nice to have somewhere I can ask for advice and the people actually know what they're on about!

the watcher

Visit site
I tried squeezing an 18hh horse (7'6" in rugs) into a big Ifor Williams trailer. Height wasn't too bad but there was no way it was long enough. He goes easily in to a big Rice trailer with room to spare

casper826

New User
Visit site
My 18.2 Percheron fits in my ifor Williams 510xl with plenty room. He is built like a tank and quite long and very heavy so travels alone with no partition

LynH

Visit site
I have a Wessex Olympian for my 17hh ID mare who is in a 7' rug and she has several inches to spare lengthwise. There is plenty of headroom and plenty of room to get out. She struggles in a 510 and definitely can't unload from a right front ramp.

I.M.N.

Visit site
We've got a iFor Williams 511, and my 17.2 fits in there and looks like a pony, he it short coupled though, so not sure about length.

CBFan

Visit site
I'd say the Ifor 510 would be a good bet! You might prefer to reverse out rather than using the front ramp though, although my 7ft long 17.1hh CB boy manages it fine... oh and there's plenty of room in there for him! :)

Theresa_F

Visit site
I hired several trailers when looking for one for our 16.3 clydesdale and my gypsy cob. She takes a 7' rug and is not huge for a clydie.

I ended up with the Bateson Deuville which takes them fine but I am not sure about an 18.1.

I did rent the big Ivor Williams 511 and in that Farra had a lot of spare room both in length and height, and I think this would take an 18.1 so it might be worth hiring one to see if it would do the job.