Is there a way to tell is mare has had a foal before

twilight01

Visit site
As title really is there any way to tell if a mare has previously foaled, someone mentioned you can tell from their teats but not sure what I'd be looking for? I;m thining of putting my mare in foal (to keep for me) but no idea whether she has foaled before or not.

thanks

Spring Feather

Visit site
The teats are the best, but not the only way of telling whether a mare has had a foal before. Teats, post suckling, will never ever go back to the teeny little blimps they were beforehand.

ShowjumpingPrincess

Visit site
a mare that has had a foal will have a much bigger udder and it will look a bit baggy (where it was once stretched to accommodate milk) the mare will also be A LOT more 'excited';) around stallions!!

but theres no need for you to not breed from her if shes maiden!:)

twilight01

Visit site
thanks, I'll go looking at the other mares on the yard to compare ;)

They do hang a little and there is a dint between them (if that makes sense) but can't say I've ever gone around comparing mare's bits!!

Has anyone got any pictures as examples?

twilight01

Visit site
thanks will try and get a pic tomorrow and post for comment - although seems a very strange thing to photograph :eek:

cundlegreen

Visit site
I bought my mare at 7 from the breeder. She had very long teats, but he said that she had never had a foal. Now she's had one, they look just the same.

Megibo

Visit site
I've always been convinced my mare I bought last year has had a foal, baggy udder and suspicious teats and, ahem, 'loose' bits! Also her tummy shape and the fact she had 'dead' abdominals when my physio first saw her.

I found out a few months ago she was a brood before being sold at a sales and being backed at 5 so she's had at least 1!

twilight01

Visit site
picture.php

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/picture.php?albumid=5806&pictureid=23033

not the best but all I could get - thanks