Is there no such thing as a horse who won't hack alone?

Sugar Plum

Visit site
As the title suggest, I have been told that the fault always lies with the rider. I wholeheartedly disagree, but do wonder if there is any truth in it. Personally, I feel a sharp horse is less likely to have the confidence to back alone, but how much is it a learned behaviour?

doodle

Visit site
Soli didn’t. (Well that’s not strictly true, I did occasionally get him out alone) He was an ex racer and so expect he never had been taught to. He wasn’t sure he wanted to hack in company either but that had slightly more success. I moved yards to one without a school. I was determined to sort the issue. He dumped me and galloped home when he really couldn’t cope and also gave himself ulcers. He hated that yard and I wonder if upping the stress trying to jack out was half the issue.

twiggy2

Visit site
They are not alone, the rider is there, if they won't hack without another horse then I work on their trust in or with me, usually the problem is resolved but some are less reliable than others if something spooks them.
As always there will be those that don't come round but I believe they are usually ones that have had a poor history/experience and trust is broken with humans.

Fred66

Visit site
Some can exhibit such dangerous behaviour traits that ultimately they are not safe to hack alone.
Some bolt for home, some rear and are willing to go over to avoid going away from home.
We had one that could be temperamental hacking from home but if you boxed them and hacked elsewhere they were good as gold.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Some can exhibit such dangerous behaviour traits that ultimately they are not safe to hack alone.
Some bolt for home, some rear and are willing to go over to avoid going away from home.
We had one that could be temperamental hacking from home but if you boxed them and hacked elsewhere they were good as gold.
I have one of these. She simply won't leave the yard by herself but if you box her somewhere she's a fairly reliable hack.

Occasionally we compromise and i lead or long rein her out and ride her home but we do still sidetrack into rearing nap attacks at random so I have pretty much declared the activity pointless. She's a retrained project who is fairly deeply damaged.

Britestar

Visit site
I don't hack my big horse alone. I've tried, but I'm rather fond of my life, and have no desire to shorten it.
He's very spooky, and will turn on a sixpence and run for home with no regard for his safety or mine, so I just don't bother.
He's very happy out with a pal, and will lead the hack, sometimes a significant distance ahead, but he relies on a wing man, and will stop if he thinks he needs someone else to be bait (cows, sheep, purple flowers).
He's not had any trauma, other than that he causes himself, I know him inside out, I bred him. Just his personality.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As a blank canvas? No I don't believe that there is any horse who could not be taught to hack alone. However, there are some who have effectively been trained not to hack alone, and it can be very ingrained and pretty impossible to fix.

I would have written the same until I owned my big ginger KWPN. I was the first person to hack him at four years old. I had history of teaching other reluctant horses, like ex racers who had always worked in a string, to hack alone. He was an absolute nightmare. He was terrified of the slightest change in the environment, like a daffodil grown on a verge since his last time out. Chickens in farmyard, anyone working in a field, rocks on a verge, the list was endless. The only time he was remotely happy was when he went somewhere completely new and he wasn't always looking for the things which had changed.

I made him do it for six years until he died. In retrospect, I wonder why I did, he would have been a happier horse if he had been allowed just to play on the arena. I wouldn't force a horse to hack alone when it doesn't want to again.

milliepops

Visit site
I made him do it for six years until he died. In retrospect, I wonder why I did, he would have been a happier horse if he had been allowed just to play on the arena. I wouldn't force a horse to hack alone when it doesn't want to again.

I do think there's some truth in this. it's one of the reasons I don't particularly pursue hacking with Kira any more. She is noticeably more anxious after a hacking expedition, I used to joke that I'd ruined her life but I actually think it does stress her out a fair bit. As she's got a home for life with me and has other things she's good at, I've sort of come to the conclusion that it's better to just let her do the stuff she is happy with.

sjdress

Visit site
I had a horse who was very difficult to hack alone. He was nervous about life anyway and eventually had considerable lameness issues and I think the combination of no confidence and pain rumbling away (before we really knew as he was still sound at this point) made it a very difficult experience for him. It was pretty dangerous as he would rear and spin in the middle of the road. We eventually got somewhere with a lot of patience and tiny steps to build his confidence and trust but then he went lame.
I found it weird as My other horse was hacking confidently on her own from a 4 year old and never thought of not going out by herself, ever! In fact she would lead the more experienced horses past things! She’s still the same today, nearly 15 years on and is such a pleasure to hack!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I would have written the same until I owned my big ginger KWPN. I was the first person to hack him at four years old. I had history of teaching other reluctant horses, like ex racers who had always worked in a string, to hack alone. He was an absolute nightmare. He was terrified of the slightest change in the environment, like a daffodil grown on a verge since his last time out. Chickens in farmyard, anyone working in a field, rocks on a verge, the list was endless. The only time he was remotely happy was when he went somewhere completely new and he wasn't always looking for the things which had changed.

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'hacks alone'
It sounds like your horse did hack alone, he just didn't like it, which I think is more common than a lot of people admit (because we think they should enjoy it, same goes for dogs with walks)

milliepops

Visit site
It sounds like your horse did hack alone, he just didn't like it, which I think is more common than a lot of people admit (because we think they should enjoy it, same goes for dogs with walks)
interesting point. Having had a horse that definitely does enjoy hacking along - is nosy and curious and strides along eagerly I definitely think that some simply don't like it. the anxious backward walking is a very different experience! going down the welfare wormhole I wonder if the insistence that hacking alone is a must-do is not really very helpful. ( I get that many riders want to hack alone)

I was brought up on a hunting/eventing yard and everything had to hack alone, come what may. it really scrambled my brain to accept that Kira was just not one of those horses and that it's OK to let it slide. again this is more about a horse that's been ruined, I think she probably could have been taught to be more relaxed about it as a youngster but I think that ship has sailed now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

For me, a horse that had a good start in life, but can only be made to hack alone by an extremely experienced rider using forceful methods at the start and during the ride, even coming homewards, on almost every occasion, even after six years, is a horse that does not hack alone.

I didn't believe they existed either until i owned one.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Someone bought a retired hunter as a well mannered horse for hacking. It wouldn't go beyond the end of the drive by itself. Not at all. Never.

It was a lovely hunter.

scats

Visit site
I think most can be taught to hack alone, even the most reluctant. Whether they’ll ever truly enjoy it or be a safe and reliable hack is another question.

I have always hacked alone so everything I’ve owned has been taught to hack out on its own. It’s not always been easy, and I’ve sat some some impressive displays during the process but we’ve always got there and given time, I have found them to mostly get their heads around it and enjoy it.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I always hack my youngsters or green horses on their own first and keep in company riding as a rare occurrence but lucky to have had amazing off road hacking at most of the yards I have been at. For older established horses I can usually6 box off to a off road area and get them going on their own, but bring a coward when it comes to roads and traffic i don't push the issue here.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My new horse has been challenging to hack. In company we have resolved issues of sharp & spooky (she's still sharp and spooky she just manages herself now rather than flee and not think more than just get away!) Hacking alone is a work in progress and I need to show more consistency but honestly the moves she throws are spectacular and you literally trot off the yard and do not stop until you are trotting back on the yard and its not fun for either of us but its a method I've been advised to do and I'll be honest it feels safer doing it at speed and i do genuinely think it will resolve the issue fairly quickly (If i get my ar*s in gear!) and we'll get to the stage of happily hacking alone but she will never be an on the buckle hack, she is too wickedly sharp!

I think it depends on a number of factors but the majority of ridden horses should be able to hack alone. It's always been at the top of my list when buying so i wasnt prepared for this mare to be such a challenge but actually its made me go out in the trailer more to clinics and lessons and its so horsey round here there is always someone to hack with but im not relying on others so now I've typed it i best get on and hack alone today, lol!

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm just going through this now with my boy, 5 Yr old ex Arab racehorse from the UAE, I led him around the farm first then sent him away to be ridden out and to get used to hacking on his own as I have no company to ride with, he's now just a green horse but happy to hack out on his own, he will take the micky by planting on the odd occasion though.

exracehorse

Visit site
One of mine will hack solo. But it’s usually an awful ride. She screams his head off. Tigers in every hedge. Wicked left spin. I always take him out with his hacking buddy.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine will hack alone. I think he prefers and is more comfortable with hacking with company though. Which I think is natural.

He's a little less brave and can sometimes nap when alone but nothing totally nuts. I did spend a lot of time hand walking him alone when he was younger. He was kind of like a big dog in that OH and I would often include him on our hikes as he happily tagged along. All 3 of us got exercise. I/we still hand walk sometimes even though he's perfectly rideable. So maybe this helped him be more comfortable away from other horses.

I do prefer to hack with company just from a safety standpoint.

Upthecreek

Visit site
It’s so interesting when you really stop and think about it because we’re always saying that ideally horses should have the company of other equines nearly all the time, both when they are turned out and within sight if they are stabled. Yet when it suits us we expect them to hack alone and travel alone. So we are actively encouraging the herd instinct but also expecting them to be brave and independent on their own. I think it’s totally down to individual personality. One of mine will happily be turned out or stay in without company. He enjoys the company of his field mates but never gets anxious about leaving them. He is happy and relaxed to hack and travel alone and is generally a very laid back easy going chap. My other horse will do everything on his own, but he’s not so happy and relaxed as when he has company. He’s not nappy, but far more spooky by himself. Generally I think you can make most horses hack alone, but you can’t make them enjoy it.

Jango

Visit site
There are always exceptions to everything, but the vast majority of well started horses ridden by a confident person will hack alone with minimal issues (e.g. Might be a bit more spooky than in company). In my experience the majority of issues here come from the rider(s), past or present! Some might not enjoy it or be particularly pleasant to hack but that's the same with any discipline/activity. For me hacking alone is essential, all my young horses have been fine. But I'm very insistent on 'go means go' in all situations, in hand and under saddle. I see people letting their horses stop when they feel like it walking to the field and they are tugging away or waiting for them, if you train them to react to you properly when you ask then things like hacking alone are less of an issue.

SEL

Visit site
My Appy doesn't enjoy it and she seems to have no sense of self preservation (jumped out in front of tractor, taken us backwards into huge drainage ditch, sat on car bonnet.....) so for anything that involves roadwork we have company.

I actually don't think her eyesight is 100%. Vets have never been able to see anything on exam but more than one has noted jumpiness on her right.

Tarragon

Visit site
My pony is better when hacked alone than in company. When we are on our own he listens to me and is happy, ears forward and confident. When we are in company, he feeds off the other horse or horses, so if they stop or shy, he will, even if it is something that he wouldn't even register if we are on our own. I realise that this is a training issue but for someone who does most of my riding on my own, one that isn't huge. I think that he is a natural follower with strong herd instincts (perhaps this comes from being born into a free living herd on Exmoor!) but happy to defer to me when on his own.

Bambelina

Visit site
At the moment mine still won’t (after a year and a bit of having her) and I’m starting to not see the point in trying. It’s frustrating as there’s not many others on the yard who hack anyway, so would be ideal if she would, but to get to anywhere remotely decent we have to go down the canal, and she will rear and spin when napping back to home and I just don’t want to risk our safety and the safety of other canal users. She schools beautifully and thrives on that kind of work, and i often tack her up at our trailer/other places not by her stable to prepare her for shows in that sense, so I’m hoping that gives her enough confidence being away from others. When hacking in company after about 20 minutes she does like to storm ahead in front though..?!!

peanut

Visit site
There are probably some horses who will never hack alone .. but only because they were started by a rider who lacked confidence, kindness and leadership.

Horses only respect confident leaders they can trust.