Is there (or should there be) a ceiling ability to horse riding?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I've been pondering this for a while and feel it's time to start a thread and see what people come up with...
I know many riding schools have very low limits for good reasons so I'm not looking to get into that side of it, I'm thinking about private horses.
Is there a riding ability at which a rider should accept that no horse can safely or humanely carry them?
While I am all for lifelong learning and finding the right horse for the rider but I also think there must be a ceiling ability at which a person just has to accept no horse can fairly be asked to carry a rider.
What ability would you think no horse should be asked to take?

;)

stormox

Visit site
How long is a piece of string? It all depends what you want to do, Ive seen people with zero ability never been on a horse before potter round on a quiet horse!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Having competed at RDA dressage and also riding with an RDA group after my spinal injury, I have seen some extremely disabled people have their lives enhanced by riding. I would say that as long as the horse is comfortable, I don't think that a lack of 'ability' should prevent someone from riding even if they need someone to lead the horse and a helper walking each side to keep the balanced. Being around horses and the enjoyment that disabled people get from riding is equally as valid as the enjoyment that able bodied people get. :)

That's what you were getting at, right Shils. :D :p

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
If I were a horse, would I want to carry a shockingly bad 8 stone rider, and suffer the behind-the-movement trot rising, the socks in the teeth when they lost balance, or the 'pony club leg aids'?
Or would I prefer a 10 stone rider who could stay in balance, ride tactfully and keep an elastic contact?

Or better still would I like to gallop free with my mates, after decking the pesky human overlord?

:)

Tash88

Visit site
I think as long as the horse is comfortable, is happy to work and not carrying any more rider weight than it should be, riding is okay. Everyone has to learn. But that said, the rider's attitude is important and I think not wanting to pull on the horse's mouth, use excessive force, and wanting to learn and improve etc. are sometimes more important than actual ability if that makes sense. And ensuring the horse has well-fitting tack and suchlike is also a big priority.

What I am trying to say is that there are some riders with seemingly a lot of ability and at the top of their game, but I wouldn't want them to ride my horse because they have the wrong attitude (that Brazilian show jumper, for example, and I can think of others who I know in real life).

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Shils the opposite of able is disabled. Would you care to re-phrase your question as I do not think it reflects what you mean?

No, the opposite of 'able' is 'unable'.

The opposite of 'disabled person' is 'non-disabled person'.

My thread is to do with riding skill level (or lack thereof) not about people with/without any form of disability.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I don't have a problem with inexperienced people, those with no skill, or indeed complete beginners owning a horse.

It's all about ensuring you have that good support network around you and that you choose the correct horse for the job.

I think the question should more be aimed at disciplines. So for instance, someone should perhaps not be allowed to enter a show jumping class bigger than say 2ft6 unless that have themselves been graded good enough to be competing at that level; secure seat, not interfering with the horse over the fence etc. It would weed out those who really arent ready to be jumping bigger. If you aren't good enough, then you arent allowed to compete.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I don't have a problem with inexperienced people, those with no skill, or indeed complete beginners owning a horse.

It's all about ensuring you have that good support network around you and that you choose the correct horse for the job.

I think the question should more be aimed at disciplines. So for instance, someone should perhaps not be allowed to enter a show jumping class bigger than say 2ft6 unless that have themselves been graded good enough to be competing at that level; secure seat, not interfering with the horse over the fence etc. It would weed out those who really arent ready to be jumping bigger. If you aren't good enough, then you arent allowed to compete.

This reminds me of my bugbear. Tiny children on lead rein with no skills or balance being trotted over poles/jumps.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I don't think someone that knows that they are inexperienced is a problem, Its the people that are inexperienced but think they know everything that cause problems. I'd have no problem letting someone inexperienced on my horse (although I wouldn't unless I really didn't like them, because he's prone to being an idiot and takes full advantage of any weakness) as long as they were aware of their ability and didn't do anything to hurt the horse.
I do think there should be some kind of common sense test before you're allowed to buy a horse, or any other animal though, so many problems could be avoided that way!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Bearing in mind who started this thread (and before I am shot down in flames), yes, there should be a lower ability level on riding, unless you are riding a Cob, as everyone knows that cobs are in charge of the whole world :p and therefore require no skill whatsoever, just copious quantities of foodstuffs.

D66

Visit site
If riding schools were not allowed to cater for novices anyone wanting to learn to ride would have to do a simulator course first. This might be a good way to go. How about synthetic hacks?
You could have Peloton with a few mechanical horses in a room with a big tv screen in front. Choose your route from a menu on screen.
No mucking out, no horse flies, no bad weather! What’s not to like?

scruffyponies

Visit site
Not sure how anyone would learn if they weren't allowed to ride until they were good at it. We all have to start somewhere.

My poor little ponies seem to understand that they have to put up with the new riders being rubbish for a bit until they can have some fun.
They really love it when they get a competent rider, even one who is now too big for them. This goes double for the little shetland, who is cursed with always losing his riders just when he's got them going properly.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The one I've just sold is delighted to be owned by a novice child. She trundles round carefully making sure the child doesnt fall off and stopping when she loses balance, happily pops little fences even though the child makes mistakes and occasionally gets left behind etc. She finds that vastly preferable to being ridden by a very good, kind and sympathetic rider and being asked to work in a frame and school properly etc

Kat

Visit site
If riding schools were not allowed to cater for novices anyone wanting to learn to ride would have to do a simulator course first. This might be a good way to go. How about synthetic hacks?
You could have Peloton with a few mechanical horses in a room with a big tv screen in front. Choose your route from a menu on screen.

Anyone know where you can part ex a horse for a mechanical horse and a massive TV?

McGrools

Visit site
Yes i think people who want to ride should have a basic level of fitness. I see too many very unfit people wanting to ride who have zero balance and muscle tone and are overweight and frankly shouldnt be allowed to attempt to mount. Riding schools having weight limits is attempting to solve the problem, but it continues to astound me just how inactive some people have become. I would love to see a basic fitness assesment done before agreeing to take new clients on in a riding school setting.

teapot

Visit site
Oh Shils :p It takes a special kind of horse to be a true beginner's horse so D66's post is inspired!

Ohhh tempting! Sadly mechanical horses are even more expensive than the current batshit market that is real horses!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
North Shils!

Yes, there should be a ceiling. Preferably not a popcorn ceiling. I'm not really into that style.

There was one in a hotel room in America. Peeling, most unattractive.

I'm sure that many horses would prefer to carry a relaxed complete novice who wants to amble around than an 'all the gear, no idea' type with fixed ideas and fixed hands who can ride at speed and point the horse at jumps, gobbing it in the mouth over every fence.

I cringe every time I see a girl I know jumping, socks the horse in the mouth big time, all the gear, as you say.?

I think this is inspired! Definite gap in the market!

Reactions: D66

teapot

Visit site
Ah but they can work 18 hour days ?

24hrs surely? ;) Day/night fake hack anyone?

18hrs at £50 a session - yup, would pay for itself in a month (yes they're that expensive new for the basic model :oops:) -ponders business plan-

Look at this video! D66, someone's already stolen your idea! https://www.racewood.com/rda.html

The eventing ones are £86K new but I can see why!

Last edited: