Is there such a thing...

khalswitz

Visit site
... as a 'cheap' version of an Albion? Like how Thoroughgoods have a similar shape to Saddle Company Saddles?

I have FINALLY realised what jumping is supposed to be after my instructor had me ride in her Albion jump saddle with the air flocking. I could sit better, and use my seat more effectively, and my horse hasn't stop once in it, as I'm not getting on his front end. However even secondhand they seem very expensive... being someone who has never spent more than £500 on a saddle and doesn't have 2 spare pennies at the moment, an easier target than an actual Albion is required, I think.

Any suggestions? He is a fairly high withered, short coupled TB so a little tricky to fit but the one we tried was spot on straight off.

khalswitz

Visit site
K2 second hand? Check saddles direct...

They're still up at about £850, which I know isn't a lot in terms of saddles but to me it's a lot of money! I was just wondering if there were other makes with a similar shape that might cost less. Secondhand doesn't bother me at all, just I'm going to struggle to save up a spare £700-800 in the next few months... whenever I save anything up Geoff always seems to end up with a vet bill/feed bill/dentist bill/chiro bill/rug bill that needs it!

I will be prepared to just have to wait and save if I have to, however jumping will be very disheartening in the meantime...

Fat_Pony

Visit site
The albions don't normally have flair so you'd have to factor having that put in to a saddle as well. Was it the flair or the saddle that did the job?

khalswitz

Visit site
The albions don't normally have flair so you'd have to factor having that put in to a saddle as well. Was it the flair or the saddle that did the job?

Oh, sorry - it was the saddle shape that did it for me, I just sat much better in it and felt much more secure and effective. Hers just happened to be adjusted to flair - and tbh I usually prefer flock so I'm not too worried about that.

Lolo

Visit site
Albion Legends tend to go for under £500, and are good- what Reg has... They can be a bit hard but Al likes hers.

khalswitz

Visit site
Thanks very much all - will keep an eye out. The one I've been trying out is a K2, but I've ridden her horse in her other Albion saddle (not sure what type but a very new one?) and it was lovely as well so I think it's something about the shape of them I like.

Colour wise, black ideally, size is I *think* medium but I will double check the stamp on it today (I just plonked it on to see how it fitted, haven't even checked the size yet... numpty I know). Model, don't mind as long as something forward cut for long legs with a good knee roll and helps me sit BACK rather than pushing my lower leg back and tipping me forward like my current saddle does - as you can tell I'm far from an expert...

Lolo - will check out the Legends, don't mind a hard saddle at all (both my current ones are very solid). Will keep an eye on the secondhand saddles (where did you guys sell/get yours? Ebay? Preloved?), and will maybe have a peek at the K&Ms if having no luck...

Thanks all!!

Lolo

Visit site
Preloved and ebay for us.

Also, a Collegiate Nobility is a good knock off- what Reg had for absolutely ages, just didn't quite sit right on him for Al, but on all the other horses it was great. Just not the one it needed to be good for!

khalswitz

Visit site
Preloved and ebay for us.

Also, a Collegiate Nobility is a good knock off- what Reg had for absolutely ages, just didn't quite sit right on him for Al, but on all the other horses it was great. Just not the one it needed to be good for!

Good to know! Thanks. Will do some hunting :).

leflynn

Visit site
Agree secondhand, I bought mine for £400 (but now for sale as no longer fits awkward horse *sob*) Mins is the legend and it is super ocmfy, I adore the knee rolls! Plus Albions seem to be more adjustabel than other makes if that helps :)