is this a bit strange? am i being stupid?

MandyMoo

Visit site
we have bought a new horse, absolutley gorgeous, really fab powerful canter. but my only problem is...his canter is so powerful...it always feels as though i am going faster than i am? if that makes sense... (im not like a crap rider or nervous btw lol)

...iv taken him showjumping and when i am going round i feel like i am going really fast round, and i dont want to push on anymore as it already feels fast...but when i watch the film of me jumping i think i am making it difficult for him to jump properly as he isnt fast going enough and i end up doing 3 strides on a 2 stride distance as im keeping him steady (he isnt pulling though...he seems happy to stay at the pace i set him)
shall i just get over it and push him on a lot more...but feel a bit out of control...or is it ok to keep him steady?

sorry if i sound really novicey/weird lol...im fine on my other horse! his canter isnt as powerful and i'll happily go faster round a course of fences when i do bsja with him...its just the new one... i suppose its just getting used to a new ride

any ideas? xx

Cliqmo

Visit site
I understand what you mean, its like going from a nippy little hatchback to a big powerful sports car and suddenly everything seems so big and fast!
I'm sure you're not doing anything to hurt him but it is a shame not to make the most of such a beasty!! Therefore if I were you I would do lots of schooling practise at home going from short bouncy canter to a good medium canter up through the range to a long flat canter and back again. This will be good training for him and will also get you accustomed to your big moving boy
grin.gif

jumptoit

Visit site
I can see exactly what you mean it just sounds like you're still getting used to him, I had a tendency to do the same when I moved off a little 14HH to a 16HH 1!

Practice lots of canter poles and grid work to get an idea of his strides too
laugh.gif

Nosey

Visit site
A very competent friend of mine went for a SJ lesson with Will Funnell and told me that the whole time they just worked on getting a consistent canter and didn't jump at all. Its a technique I have since used for working in at shows getting exactly the right gear before I even look at a fence. So basically I would echo what ali says re spending some time playing with your canter.

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
My friend has a horse like this, to the point that its very tight for her to jump him in our 20 x 40 arena. Two strides and he's down the long side! His canter is big but he goes four time if she holds him back to much. When she sits and goes with it but keeps the leg on, his rhythm is more consistent, striding is better and his 'eye' for the fence locks in much more. I would say play about a bit and find your and his comfort zone. When you are both happy with each other, you can start pushing. Perhaps do some poles on the ground and work on striding - shorten and lengthen. You are definitely doing the right thing by being videod - it never looks how it feels does it!
grin.gif

MandyMoo

Visit site
thanks guys
smile.gif
i'll do lots of schooling etc to get used to his stride... its not like i have come off a pony lol...my current horse is a 16.3hh hanoverian, and the new one is 16.1hh :p haha but my older horse didnt have that power....just used to canter along lol :p

i agree wilbur_force...i always get filmed and reflect back on my position/hands/legs/spped etc :p haha its not nice watching myself...but it needs to be done so i can make improvements
smile.gif
haha xx

gabriellexxxx

Visit site
I've had that problem. I've got used to the bigger, longer striding horse (16hh plus) and now been competitng a 15.1hh and owning a 15.2hh, im finding it hard to allow them to canter on, i think its coz their legs have to move a lot faster!

I got someone really experienced to watch me from the ground and tell me when the canter looks good, so i can aim for that feeling and rythmn each time.

It takes a while, but you'll get there
smile.gif

MandyMoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I got someone really experienced to watch me from the ground and tell me when the canter looks good, so i can aim for that feeling and rythmn each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a really good idea actually...i might get my mum to tell me from the ground when i am cantering properly...and i'll aim for it myself when i jump
smile.gif
thanks xx