Is this a type of seizure?

onlytheponely

Visit site
First post here and hope someone can help.

I have a 7yo Jack Russell x Staffie. Today he has had 2 'episodes'. Both times he has been laying on his right hand side on the sofa. It starts with a very high pitched and panicky scream, both times I've gone over and he makes no effort to move. This afternoon it passed very quickly, it was almost as if he had something in his throat and was struggling to breathe. I rubbed his throat and he seemed to recover to normal.
10 minutes ago he did the same scream, went on for longer. He was in a trance like state for about a minute (felt like an age to me) and didn't seem to be breathing. He then returned to normal, no noticeable disorientation following this episode. I am actually quite scared about tonight :(

This was totally horrid to watch. Here alone in the middle of rural Brittany with no vets closer than 45 minutes away :(
As I type, he has stolen a sock and putting it to death, normal behaviour has resumed at the moment.

Charlie007

Visit site
I am not a vet but I would say yes as our lab does this and it has been confirmed it is a seizure. She screams and walks with her head to one side. She usually snaps out of it in a minute but it sounds horrible. I have been tols terrier type dogs can suffer with it quite alot. Sounds like a petite mal ( small seizure) rather than grande mal which are more dangerous.

onlytheponely

Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply Charlie007.
I've been trawling the internet but couldn't find a description to fit this one as it seemed quite insignificant compared to the ones described on the veterinary sites. I will call the vets in the morning but from what I've been reading it doesn't always need medication, does your girl take anything for hers?

Charlie007

Visit site
Vets have advised that unless the seizures get more frequent, or recovery takes longer then not to bother with medication. Our lab had MRI scans, muscle biopsy, brain fluid tap and all were normal. I then managed to catch it on video and they then confirmed seizures!! The dog can be semi concious but they say they are noy crying in pain, which was a huge relief!! They also said leasve the dog alone whilst having the seizure as they are mostly unaware whats happening and could bite without knowing it!! Hope your little dog is ok xx

p.s our little terrier had one last feb, it was her first seizure and she hasn't had another since, keeping fingers crossed x

kchappers

Visit site
sounds like one to me, my labxgsd has had two, no noise but falls or lies down blank stare no response excessive drooling and urinated, (he is a 6 ish year old rescue who since we got him 3 years ago has never messed in the house he comes round after a few minutes and it normally take 30 mins for his back left leg to be back to normal managed to show the vets (video) and they confirmed it was a seizure but advised unless it happens more often and more severe then to just keep an eye on him and not medicate.
hope this helps xx

onlytheponely

Visit site
Thanks so much for all of the replies.

I will spend some time going through those links MrJJ, thank you.
I spoke to the vet this morning and he's advised to observe him over the next few days and to bring him in if it happens again.

Just so horrid to watch as he looked 'dead' last night whilst it was happening. I won't mind if it never happens again to be honest.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Ozzie (JRT) has petite mal seizure, he actually remains semi responsive, but lack co-ordination and has various ticks. Vets weren't worried unless they got more frequent or started lasting longer.

karen_c

Visit site
As others have said, it could be a 'petit mal' or partial seizure. If you have a mobile phone that can take video then if he has another one it will potentially help your vet to work out what's going on if you can film it. Good luck :)

Star_Chaser

Visit site
As others have said, it could be a 'petit mal' or partial seizure. If you have a mobile phone that can take video then if he has another one it will potentially help your vet to work out what's going on if you can film it. Good luck :)

a good idea or webcam if you have it to hand then you can at least get someone one here whose a vet to take a peek. If fitting you will need to see a vet, make sure you have fast sugars (honey, treacle, glucose syrup) to hand as they get ravenous after a fit but you can't always give a full feed straight away. If more than one fit at a time you can get some drugs to help stop more than one (rectal Diazepam 5mg) it does knock them for six though.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
The episode you describe certainly sounds like a seizure. It's a good idea to video your dog in the throes of one of these events, because, if it is idiopathic epilepsy (meaning cause unknown), if he has a fit, by the time you get to the vet he'll probably be fine.

Before any diagnosis of epilepsy is made, you should ask your vet for a complete blood count to rule out any conditions which could predispose your dog to seizures (i.e. liver disease). Your vet will want you to keep a journal of all these events, when they occur, how often, how long they last. If the seizures become more frequent, your vet may recommend putting your dog on medication. The drug of choice is usually phenobarbitone, which can reduce the number of fits and/or their severity. There is always the chance of break through seizures, but they are, often times, fewer and farther between. The drug's efficacy also depends on how your dog metabolises it. Some dogs are so sensitive to the medication, they need a lower dose. Other dogs may require a very large dose because their bodies metabolise it so effectively. The size of the dog doesn't automatically dictate the dose. Initially, finding the right amount suitable for your dog will be a period of trial and error. Diazapam, more commonly known as Valium, is usually reserved for cases of status epilepticus, where the dogs have seizures with no recovery time between them. And it will knock them for six.

If your dog, indeed, has epilepsy, it is very important to monitor him if you have other dogs with whom he associates. Depending on the place in the hierarchy of your dogs, the affected dog could be attacked by the other(s) while having a fit.

I've had years of experience with canine epilepsy when I was involved with Norwich Terriers. They are lovely little dogs, but have a serious problem with the condition. I am no longer involved in the breed.