Is this billl right?

Skhosu

Visit site
Friend of mine just got a bill for +1K from vets.
For an infected cut..
pony been staying at vets to get antibiotics, were told 15 quid a day, has been there a week.
I would have thought around 500 would be appropriate, how on earth has this become 1K?
I said they should query it....apparently there's a £500 service charge in there!

_OC_

Visit site
Have they had a invoice mix up!........
crazy.gif

spaniel

Visit site
I would suspect £150 per day not £15!! The horse has been on full nursing livery plus treatments plus drugs. Hope she is insured!

icemaiden113

Visit site
Hmm expensive but about right, old horse we had spent a week at vet hospital after a thorne infection!Cost £1700! Was the 24 hour nursing that cost the moneY! Hope it's insured!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
£15 per day to be on livery & have nursing at a veterinary hospital.....you must be joking. Just for a vet to pull up on the carpark of a yard is £30. It will be probably £150 per day at livery there as someone has already said.........£1000 bill will probably be about right, the bill will come itemised right down to a piece of vetwrap & latex gloves used.

Let's hope your friend has insurance.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
If you check the bill carefully you might find the cost of the drugs themselves are very high.
For deep seated infections they often have to have a port put in and the injections (anti biotics) done up to three times a day. My vet allowed me to cope with this at home, or it would have been astronomical in the end.
The injections we used were £9 each, so if you work that out it' a lot. Not however £1000, I admit I would nearly die if I got a bill like that!

Skhosu

Visit site
unluckily...no, not insured!!
They can afford it, but it's not like it's spare!
I think it was 15 for accomodation, then the rest for treatment, but I do feel sorry for them, bit of a blow!

annaellie

Visit site
I think that sound right I had a mare who had an op it came to nearly £3000 but a lot of that bill was nursing livery The after care was as expensive as the op

claire1976

Visit site
OMG my mare had an infected wound on her hock and bill came to nearly £3000 after hospital stays, scans, anti-robitics, livery, nursing etc. Took 3 months of treatment, although only at hospital for 3 days.
Thank god for insurance.
£1000 ??? Sounds a bargain to me!!

Sparklet

Visit site
£15 is quite cheap - I had to pay £30 per day livery when my horse had post-operative care (by the way the PO care was charged separately)

The bit I didnt realise is that some insurance companies will only cover half the cost of the livery charge, so the bill to the individual is often considerably more than the excess.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The bit I didnt realise is that some insurance companies will only cover half the cost of the livery charge

[/ QUOTE ]
And some including a well known one used by many in here won't pay anything towards livery. Also check your policy for cost of transport to hosipital if you don't have your own!