Is this common?

Dumbo

Visit site
Yesterday my lovely little bunny was put to sleep. We bought her two years ago from Pets At Home. She was 8wks. We paid £100 (rather than £30) as we were told she was already neutered at 4wks!!!

Fast forward to the other day, she hadn't eaten or pooped for a day so we rushed her to the vet (lost my last bun to gastrostasis ?spelling?)
She stayed in over night while they gave her something to clear the gas but no use. In the morning they xrayed and suspected a tumour in her womb.

So, they decided to operate. They found 2 very large cysts on her ovaries.

The vet had never seen anything like this and has sent her tissues off for post mortem. He thinks its a result of poor surgery when she was a baby.

Despite being utterly heartbroken that my baby has gone I'm confused firstly as to why the vet couldnt remove the cysts and the ovaries.
I'm also angry at Pets At Home for selling these little bunnies who have already been neutered at 4 weeks old and resulting in this.

Has anyone heard of a similar incident?

Aru

Visit site
Was she neutered at all?if she was neutered she should not have had ovaries or a uterus to become cancerous or have cysts

catxx

Visit site
Sounds like you bought a "VIP" rabbit. This was a brief trial PAH ran selling young 8 week old "neutered/micro-chipped/vaccinated" rabbits. They got so many complaints from animal welfare organisations, they stopped doing it.

The rabbit you got was bred in Spain, "spayed" in Spain and then shipped here. No vet in the UK would do the surgery needed on such a young rabbit. In fact I don't think they're allowed to in this country! The poor thing will have been weaned far earlier than it should have been and then put through trauma in the process and then traveled a vast distance to the store.

Now PAH don't neuter, they also don't vaccinate, but have started micro-chipping. And they still get their rabbits from "factory" farms. Just UK factory farms.

So sadly, the traumatic start to your poor bun's life was most likely the cause of her early death. :( binky free little one!

Montyforever

Visit site
Doesn't surprise me, they made me sign a disclaimer when i bought a bun from them!
Opal was (and still is) a tiny runt not expected to last long, just sat by himself in the corner. He's 7 years old this year, had lots of problems recently with gastric stasis/possibly a lump but is still eating/pooing as normal. Love the little lad to bits, but he could well have been sold to kids/outdoor home (he lives indoors as he's spoilt!) which i think has made a big difference. They just don't care where these animals end up/what their life is after they leave the shop!

So sorry about your bun, they are such lovely little characters x