Is this going to be the next must have designer breed?

EAST KENT

Visit site
Just another mongrel.This one will have the added benefits of the four different genetic heart problems a cavaliar can have,plus it`s eye problems,added to this will be hip and elbow disasters.What a great idea to line a vet`s pocket.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Aww but it's CUUUUUTTTEEEE which is of course, the primary and most important reason to buy a dog. And unusual/gimmicky/special, which is the second most important reason.

NellRosk

Visit site

twiggy2

Visit site
have a look at dakota winds ranch who breed them and others crosses-they even look like cut and shunts

they have 13 bitches that they admit to having to bred from so a fairly large concern and i wonder how many they have that are not on that list

pippixox

Visit site
can anyone tell me what is wrong with big dogs?!!!.... i say watching my GSD sleep, on his XL bed that is nearly as large as my sofa!

agree that that mixture will just create a long list of health problems and probably still drool quite a lot.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I love my cavis....would never want a cross breed.....

we id once have a cocker x cavi, the guys working cocker got in with his mums cavi and the litter was the result. so it wasn't intentional but the result was brilliant.

my grampy said Labradoodles make brilliant gun dogs.

Meems

Visit site
Just another mongrel.This one will have the added benefits of the four different genetic heart problems a cavaliar can have,plus it`s eye problems,added to this will be hip and elbow disasters.What a great idea to line a vet`s pocket.

You're not wrong there!

There are lots of crosses that I do like, but I'm sorry to say I think this one is a teeny bit fugly :eek:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
All I can think of is the phrase: Tiny Cujos...don't spaniels also have that rage syndrome thing?

I've heard that English Cocker Spaniels with inherited rage syndrome occurs relatively rarely, so hopefully it is unlikely that this breeding will result in mini Cujos, but who knows.

By the way, Dobiegirl, could you please tell me what you did to come across that Facebook page? Because if there is any more breeders on Facebook specialized in breeding "breeds" called Nehi St. Bernards, Micro St. Bernards, Mini Saint Berdoodles, Dakota Sport Retriever (Golden Retriever + Cocker Spaniel), or anything similar, I would want to know how to avoid them.

Also by the way, why do they write that their "breeds" have much fewer health problems, but I didn't see that they said anything about if or what sort of health tests they're doing on their breeding animals? Is it the hybrid vigour that once again is supposed to magically solve any potential problem?

Personally, unless the parents has passed all/any health test that is required for them to be allowed to be used in purebred breeding, I wouldn't touch these crossbreeds with a barge pole. Genes doesn't care about that some persons believe that hybrid vigour will magically protect any crossbreed from inherited problems, genes are just either inherited or not. And if someone crosses two breeds with known health problems, without health testing their breeding animals first, it to me sounds like problems just waiting to happen.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Ah but these breeders don't need to do health tests FLH, because all those inherited problems do magically disappear when you cross two breeds, didn't you know. ;)

But magic is such a tricky business...
a115.gif

Nice when it goes right, not nice when it goes wrong...

sm_abo_11-08_magician.gif

_magician_by_bapity88_thumb.gif

magicien.gif

The_not_so_great_magician_by_Cookie.gif~c200

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I
By the way, Dobiegirl, could you please tell me what you did to come across that Facebook page? Because if there is any more breeders on Facebook specialized in breeding "breeds" called Nehi St. Bernards, Micro St. Bernards, Mini Saint Berdoodles, Dakota Sport Retriever (Golden Retriever + Cocker Spaniel), or anything similar, I would want to know how to avoid them.

Just lucky I guess lol. I'm on lots of doggy groups on fb and this came up,I was flabberghasted that anyone would think this was a good cross so thought I would share.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Not being picky here, D_g, and a serious question, but would you consider that those who've miniaturised breeds, have in fact created designer breeds?

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Not sure what you mean Alec tbh, if you are talking about the link yes they have created a designer breed, 2 dogs that are not even compatible, both with very different breed traits, Im not sure what the thinking was behind it other than the obvious as a money spinner.

Different breeds have got smaller over the years and some bigger, along with other changes and mostly to the detriment of the dog, if you look back at old photos you can see a very different dog to the one of today.

You could say I'm old fashioned, I like a dog that is bred for a purpose and still able to perform that function and that's one of the reasons I don't like designer dogs because a lot of them cant, a few like the Sprocker can.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I'm sorry, my question really had nothing to do with your opening post, except that it relates to 'Designer' breeding, in general. I'm in full agreement with you, the cross breeding of such diverse dogs in shape, size and, in the case of some, usage, serves no purpose but to self serve the breeder, but in an unethical manner.

Dogs which are cross-bred for a purpose, and with thought, will have a place. Sprockers, as you say and I've yet to see one that I didn't like, and lurchers, assuming that thought has gone in to what one's trying to achieve, and all so often the most frightful judgements are made.

As you say, in your second paragraph, dog breeds have changed over the years, and probably through fashion dictates rather than through practicalities. The fashion dictates will be inevitable because many of the breeds which were created for a purpose, take your breed for instance, are rarely used for their intended purpose. That's not a case of right or wrong, in my view, but just a simple fact! If the type of dog which was kept as a pet were to be restricted to those which at no point had a previous breed usage, then we'd have a rather short list to chose from!

No, my question was as I put it, "Would you consider that those breeders who've miniaturised breeds, take poodles, GSDs and others, as examples, have created 'designer' dogs"? I'd welcome your opinion, and that of others too.

Alec.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I suppose you could say that miniatures are designer dogs yes , but miniature poodles, schnauzers, dachshunds etc are just smaller versions of the same breed standard, whereas most of the designer breeds certainly don't fit any one standard . The only "miniature" GSDs I have seen are dwarves, which is a totally different thing as they are born from 2 normal sized parents.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I'm sorry, my question really had nothing to do with your opening post, except that it relates to 'Designer' breeding, in general. I'm in full agreement with you, the cross breeding of such diverse dogs in shape, size and, in the case of some, usage, serves no purpose but to self serve the breeder, but in an unethical manner.

Dogs which are cross-bred for a purpose, and with thought, will have a place. Sprockers, as you say and I've yet to see one that I didn't like, and lurchers, assuming that thought has gone in to what one's trying to achieve, and all so often the most frightful judgements are made.

As you say, in your second paragraph, dog breeds have changed over the years, and probably through fashion dictates rather than through practicalities. The fashion dictates will be inevitable because many of the breeds which were created for a purpose, take your breed for instance, are rarely used for their intended purpose. That's not a case of right or wrong, in my view, but just a simple fact! If the type of dog which was kept as a pet were to be restricted to those which at no point had a previous breed usage, then we'd have a rather short list to chose from!

No, my question was as I put it, "Would you consider that those breeders who've miniaturised breeds, take poodles, GSDs and others, as examples, have created 'designer' dogs"? I'd welcome your opinion, and that of others too.

Alec.

Personally, then in general, and as long as it doesn't impairs their functionality (without perhaps only alternates it, making them suitable for another purpose), and as long as it is done with some moderation (= not too extreme, for example not tea cup sized dogs), then there is to me a big difference between the following example:

Breeders who uses breeding animals that overall are correct according to the breed standard, but either are in the lower or taller end of the height limits, to create a smaller/bigger version of the breed.

Breeders who doesn't really care about if their breeding animals are correct or not, as long as they're cute and can reproduce themselves, and the end result are likely to be small/big/non-shedding/unique/healthier only because of magic hybrid vigour...

Ditto MurphysMinder, the only miniature German Shepherd Dogs that I've heard of are a totally different thing, as they are caused by Pituitary Dwarfism. According to what I've read, it is a growth inhibitory genetic disease, resulting in that the dogs have a malfunction of the pituitary gland (situated at the base of the brain), often combined with malfunction of the thyroid gland.

Otherwise, about designer-breeds, then to me there is a difference between the rarely occurring, genuine (hopefully knowledgeable) idealist, who without thought of personal gain, makes a plan for how to create a new, improved breed with a specific purpose, and the overwhelming majority who breeds designer-breeds, claiming to do it for blah blah blah "good" reasons, but that would not do it unless they thought they could make money from it, haven't really tried to educate themselves about dog breeding, dog training etc.

Alec Swan

Visit site
FinnishLapphund, I don't always agree with all of your posts (as I'm sure that you don't mine!), but with that, we're as one! I honestly believe that if we breed, and for financial gain alone, then we breed without any valid purpose.

Alec.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I

Just lucky I guess lol. I'm on lots of doggy groups on fb and this came up,I was flabberghasted that anyone would think this was a good cross so thought I would share.

Thank you for the answer. *sigh* I suppose I was hoping that you had joined some sort of idiot group, maybe to try and be the voice of reason, which perhaps would be a little easier to avoid.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thank you for the answer. *sigh* I suppose I was hoping that you had joined some sort of idiot group, maybe to try and be the voice of reason, which perhaps would be a little easier to avoid.

Haha, I have in the past, I dont last long as tend to get kicked out because of my extreme views lol, I am currently on a horse rescue group which is anything but and although Im not yet banned I am in the minority as I seem to be the only one who dosnt believe everything being posted. Plus anyone asking relevent questions has them deleted.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
FinnishLapphund, I don't always agree with all of your posts (as I'm sure that you don't mine!), but with that, we're as one! I honestly believe that if we breed, and for financial gain alone, then we breed without any valid purpose.

Alec.

I'm glad that you agree with me this time Alec, and you're probably correct about that I don't always agree with you, but to be honest, that is just something I presume, because I'm not very good at remembering who I've agreed/not agreed with, on different HHO threads.