Is this normal behaviour?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
One of my yearling colts is eating the fresh droppings of my other yearling colt. I do mean eating it, not just sniffing and nosing it around. As far as I know he wasn‘t doing this before they made the decision to live out about a week ago. The shed is left open with a comfy bed down, best Kildare hay and fresh water but they aren’t using it. Before the weather improved and the fields dried out (West of Ireland) they were very keen to come in overnight and when it was wet/cold during the day. I am still feeding them twice a day on the recommended quantity of Baileys Stud and Youngstock Mix. I haven‘t been able to get Redmills or Gain Youngstock with lower levels of protein since the virus and nor can I get them gelded. The one who is eating the dung is the more dominant. I feed by eye and I think they are in ideal condition. The grass is not good, I haven’t had this farm long and it was neglected for some years, but I am working on it. I don’t think it would sustain them without additional feed. They are both RID. The dominant one will make a gent’s hunter, he is already about 16.3 and the other one is much smaller and lighter. they were both wormed with Pramox in February. Any advice would be appreciated.

SEL

Visit site
I'd let them carry on. Youngsters will often eat the poo of their mums - nothing to do with what you are or are not feeding, but its them getting certain types of bacteria into their systems.

Strangely the dogs at the yard will ignore the poo of one of my horses but queue up to get bits out of the barrow for the other horse. Both horses are fed the same but the horse whose poo they eat has a very robust stomach - we call him the equine dustbin.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Just an update on Seamus the dung eating yearling. A day or two before I noticed him doing this the side of his mouth was swollen. It wasn’t painful and had gone down considerably the next morning so I assumed it was no more than the result of a clout from his companion. Easter Sunday he presented with a draining abscess from the lymph node on his bottom jaw now happily resolved with a course of antibiotics. I guess he didn‘t feel too flash and was self-medicating. It is fascinating the signals animals give you that all is not well with them if you know how to read them. This story was only pieced together in hindsight but I will know next time. Thanks again for your input.