Is this really how they test hats?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is this really how hats are tested? On a head which isn't attached to a body? Can someone explain to me how that makes any sense at all?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How on earth can we trust a helmet tested only like this ?

The helmet most likely to pass these tests possibly the one most likely to break your neck!

Cowpony

Visit site
The bit that concerns me in the video is that they only seem to test a direct hit on the crown of the helmet. It's not often you fall right on the top of your head....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Interesting how the MIPS helmets are supposed to be all singing and all dancing, yet they have fewer tests. I did not see a crush test or a spike test, or the angled piece of metal test. Although, that seems to be a cycle helmet, so maybe they do more testes/different tests for equestrian helmets.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wonder if that is just the testing for the MIPS system? as presumably the moving sledge is to test the rotation element? don't know

Templebar

Visit site
The bit that concerns me in the video is that they only seem to test a direct hit on the crown of the helmet. It's not often you fall right on the top of your head....

I agree with this. Aside from dropping the hat where it might land like that. When i have hit my head in a fall it has only ever been the back which is also the only time i feel like i might have had concussion too. If i fall forwards i tuck and roll so damage to my head is very limited.

Shay

Visit site
This is the main reason why I can't understand people buying hats tested only to the lowest standard. PAS015 only tests for a low level crush and a simple fall against a smooth edged surface. Neither being mechanisms which actually occur that often in a fall from a horse. Especially not a speed. SNELL at least includes a horseshoe anvil (to simulate a kick) and a rough edged hemispherical anvil to replicate a fence or tree as well as higher forces for the straight forward drop and crush.

You only have one head! (Unless you a a hat testing forma...)

Mule

Visit site
The most unpleasant fall I've had involving my head was when a horse cat jumped over a fence and I catapulted over her head and landed on the crown of my head. I suppose I was fortunate that they test the helmets at that area.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This is the main reason why I can't understand people buying hats tested only to the lowest standard. PAS015 only tests for a low level crush and a simple fall against a smooth edged surface. Neither being mechanisms which actually occur that often in a fall from a horse. Especially not a speed. SNELL at least includes a horseshoe anvil (to simulate a kick) and a rough edged hemispherical anvil to replicate a fence or tree as well as higher forces for the straight forward drop and crush.

You only have one head! (Unless you a a hat testing forma...)

I can’t get a current snell hat to fit me since they changed the HS1s.
I have one for the bicycle.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I haven’t watched the above videos but Champion test their hats in the following ways.

penetration test: a 3kg toughened steel spike is dropped directly onto the hat - a test which demonstrates the hats resiliance against sharp objects such as horse shoe studs.

Harness test; tests both the strength of the harness, and the ability to keep the hat securely in place.

shock test: a hat fixed to a metal head is dropped vertically onto a steel anvil - this tests the shock absorption qualities which will protect you in a potential fall.

Crush test: a hat is placed between two steel plates and crushed, the amount of crushing is measured.