Is this right?

eahotson

Visit site
Rode ahorse at a riding school I have always been happy at. I was told he would be hard to get going.He was totally switched off.Made my old horse seem poitively sharp and forward. I had to smack him to even get him in the school. I spent my time kicking and smacking. Cameout feeling a bully as he is so obviously fed up.

Parkranger

Visit site
No disprespect to anyone but that's why I hate SOME riding schools. My boy was in one for 4 months when I first rode him, and I ended up buying him - hate the way it turns some horses.

Obviously they're not all like this though.....ask for another horse to ride as you won't get anything out of riding a horse like that x

rach1984horse

Visit site
At the end of the day you've paid for a lesson and not gained anything from it because you've been so busy trying to get the horse going. Schools needs to realise when the horses need a break and give them the time off. The good ones do.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No it's not right - but so typical of a lot of horses at ridings schools unfortunately.

But why are you wasting money having lessons on horses that can't teach you anything???

Visit site
I ride at a school and have done for years. When I first started they put me on a horse like you've described, I came away from that lesson exhausted but felt so cr*p about my capability (had ridden elsewhere so I knew I wasn't that bad). I thought about it and lessons are expensive and when you can't ride everyday you feel like you want to make a little progress each time you go. I just asked for another horse, each week I now ride a different horse. I have found this to be the best learning for me as each is so very different.
I would have a word if I were you.
Good Luck

Visit site
no it's not right but some riding schools are like this unfortunately. This horse is obv. very bored of his work and his probs dead to the leg too. Ask to ride another horse next time as you won't learn anything on a horse like this and you won't enjoy yourself.

IMO this horse sounds like it needs to be retired, poor thing
frown.gif
xxx

charlie76

Visit site
All of our school horses are forward going, responsive and willing to work in a correct outline. They will jump round a course of 2ft 6 plus xc and sj's and are able to do basic lateral movements.They are all TB or Warmblood types. We just have 2 or 3 that are v. quiet which we use for 'safety first' lessons.

So not all riding schools have dobbin horses!

Blizzard

Visit site
I rode at a ridnig school from the age of 11 to 16. The horses wre like robots, would just follow each other, you could just sit there for the whole hack and the horse would canter in the right place etc etc.

I thought I could ride, until I went to work at a point to point yard at the age of 18 after college, went out on the first day on a fit young pointer, and realised I couldnt even control a horse, despite riding EVERYTHING the riding school had to offer.

So basically I had to learn to ride again on 'real' horses that were alive and had a mind of their own.

I do feel for the horses at that riding school, they are out 6 hours a day being yanked at and kicked, no wonder they switch off.

I know some riding schools are super, but this one, well I feel like I wasted 5 years, to come out of it all not even being able to control a young horse.

annaellie

Visit site
Have you not tried other riding schools, Depending what area you are in, in merseyside I can PM you details of good schools. I worked in a few and kept my own so know which is best and worst.