Is this safe for my pony?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
my pony was coming on the 30th march to my local livery. he was going there for two weeks so that i could have lessons on him and to get us used to each other in a safe enviroment. then on the 13th april we were going to move him to some stables close to home where he would stay for good, also we cant take him to his proper home until the 13th april so that is another reason why he was going to a different livery. Is this safe to move my pony like this, he is 14 and i dont want this to affect him. he is coming on a 2 hour journey to get here and from the livery to his for good home about 5-10 minutes but i cant ride him because of a dual carriageway

mcnaughty

Visit site
Absolutely no problem what so ever moving a pony like this. Please be aware though that he might be a little bit stressed by the change of environment as he is not used to travelling to new places.

There are competition horses and ponies out there that regularly make journeys far longer that this, compete at national and international level for a few days and then travel home or on to another show ....

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
There are Thoroughbred shuttle stallions who spend part of their lives in the northern hemisphere and then travel to Australia every breeding season to serve mares. Many of these stallions are not young horses. Then at the end of the Australian breeding season, they fly back to the northern hemisphere. So travel for an older horse need not be a huge issue. Just take your usual good care of him.

horseluver4eva

Visit site
thankyou, i had never thought anything of it until my friend said it could make them ill. That is a really good point about competitions though

Boxers

Visit site
thankyou, i had never thought anything of it until my friend said it could make them ill. That is a really good point about competitions though

It's unlikey to make him ill. I suppose he could get some stress induced colic? But again, unlikely.

when you get him to the livery yard keep to a good routine for those 2 weeks. feed at the same time each morning, exercise at approx the same time and put to bed at the same time. horses thrive on routine.

When you move him to your own place, continue that routine. make sure the feed stays the same and is fed at the same time. take some of the hay from the livery to give him in the new place so that is consistent (I don't mean 'take' some hay, I mean 'buy' some hay from the livery!)

Good luck and enjoy your new pony. we will need pictures though.

horseluver4eva

Visit site
Thanks again, thats a really helpful tip about keeping him in a set routine. I would of known that if you hadnt of said so thank you very much. I will try my best as it will be the easter holidays when i get him so i will be up there all day everyday, to get him used to me and hopefully put him in a proper routine. Dont worry i will make sure i get some on for you.

starryeyed

Visit site
yep, as boxers said - routine will definitely be the most important thing so try to stick to exactly the same time every day for feeding / turning him out / bringing in etc as this will help him settle, and won't be such a shock to him when he moves to the permenant livery as his days will be the same, just in a different location.
Travelling that distance will be absolutely fine though, horses regularly go for hours in horseboxes, he won't even notice 10 minutes :) And yes, pictures are a must!