Is this something somebody would consider?

Pennythetank

Visit site
After a year of trying to find a horse to buy and coming up with nothing but lame, not as described or plain crazy horses, I have decided to take a break from looking for the winter. However, I am without a horsey fix for a while since my return to school (I'm under 18) after the holidays means that I cannot keep up my summer job of schooling/breaking young horses for a family friend.... So i was wondering if there was people out there who needed help keeping a horse fit or schooling etc and would it be even worthwhile putting an ad out? It would probably read something like:
Young rider available evenings/weekends.
Under 18 available after school hours/on weekends to exercise/school/compete horses. Eligible for pony/junior classes and under 5'4 so happy to ride anything from 13hh up. Has experience breaking/schooling young horses, competed up to senior pony club eventing and has passed B test with the pony club. No payment wanted just the opportunity to ride and possibly compete.

Would something like this be possible or does it just sound cocky as if I thought I was good enough to school other peoples' horses better then them? Or is there anyway I could get my horsey fix other than this?( Please note I don't need the opportunity to compete, schooling/exercising would be enough for me but just thought I could probably add it....)
Thanks,
PTT

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Absolutely advertise, I've come across a lot of people who would grab the chance of free rides and all very experienced riders. If you're under 18, maybe take someone with you when you go to yards etc and get a feel for the people you'll be dealing with etc, just for your own safety (sorry to sound like a worried mum but not sure how far under 18 you are) I'm sure you will find someone keen for you to ride for them. X

WelshD

Visit site
If you are light enough to ride anything smaller people will snap your hand off I would imagine, I am one of about six people looking for a rider for a small pony within my local area (sadly nowhere near you!)

ecrozier

Visit site
Yep you'll find someone i am sure. I was pregnant this time last year and would definitely have been keen for you to ride mine to keep him ticking over!

Tern

Visit site
Nope, for about 4 months this summer I helped someone back their ponies and ride for them. :) I also put out an ad for my 19yo friend who was looking to ride over her Uni holidays but couldn't afford lessons every week - lots of people jumped at the chance and in the end found a lovely pony to ride while owner had a broken arm that required surgery! :) I do have my own horse however I can't afford lessons all the time and she is difficult, winter is extremely difficult to ride too - she hasn't been ridden for two weeks now as no arena!

Arizahn

Visit site
After a year of trying to find a horse to buy and coming up with nothing but lame, not as described or plain crazy horses, I have decided to take a break from looking for the winter. However, I am without a horsey fix for a while since my return to school (I'm under 18) after the holidays means that I cannot keep up my summer job of schooling/breaking young horses for a family friend.... So i was wondering if there was people out there who needed help keeping a horse fit or schooling etc and would it be even worthwhile putting an ad out? It would probably read something like:
Young rider available evenings/weekends.
Under 18 available after school hours/on weekends to exercise/school/compete horses. Eligible for pony/junior classes and under 5'4 so happy to ride anything from 13hh up. Has experience breaking/schooling young horses, competed up to senior pony club eventing and has passed B test with the pony club. No payment wanted just the opportunity to ride and possibly compete.

Would something like this be possible or does it just sound cocky as if I thought I was good enough to school other peoples' horses better then them? Or is there anyway I could get my horsey fix other than this?( Please note I don't need the opportunity to compete, schooling/exercising would be enough for me but just thought I could probably add it....)
Thanks,
PTT

Try this:

Competent teenager available evenings and weekends to assist with exercising and/or schooling of horses and ponies. Anything from 13hh upwards will be considered. Rider is eligible for Pony and Junior classes, and has competed with the Pony Club up to Senior Eventing, and passed the B Test. Some experience with breaking and schooling youngsters, reference available*. No payment required, but the opportunity to compete would be appreciated if possible.

*I'm assuming that your relative would provide this reference, if not then leave that bit out :) Do remember to stay safe, and keep your parents/guardians involved at all times. Good luck.

Tronk

Visit site
Or Lincolnshire???!! Seriously - there are loads of Pony Club mums that would bite your hand off! Keeping ponies fit enough over winter is tricky.

Penumbra

Visit site
I'm a similar height to you, and while I was at uni found a few people who wanted smaller ponies schooled/exercised. I mostly found people through word of mouth as my instructor put me in touch with a few people who needed help. Are you still in touch with anyone at the pony club, as that might be a good place to start?

When you find someone, do be clear and upfront about what you can offer and what you are comfortable with/willing to do, and don't be afraid to say no if something feels a bit dodgy.

Good luck, I am sure you will find something soon!

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I think you have a good chance of finding something but personally I would want to know your exact age. I would never have someone under 16 riding my horse without supervision and would be very cautious with an under 16. I've been approached on fb before by an 'under 18' who turned out to be 12. If you were 16/17 however it would be a different matter and I would be interested. I would state your exact age or you risk people assuming that because you haven't disclosed you're to young

Pennythetank

Visit site
I think you have a good chance of finding something but personally I would want to know your exact age. I would never have someone under 16 riding my horse without supervision and would be very cautious with an under 16. I've been approached on fb before by an 'under 18' who turned out to be 12. If you were 16/17 however it would be a different matter and I would be interested. I would state your exact age or you risk people assuming that because you haven't disclosed you're to young
Oh good point thank you! I am 16 so not too young anyway. :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think you'll be snapped up!

I'd add to A's advert that you're happy on bigger horses too. I read it as a pony rider mainly.

I have a 15 yr old ride my ex event mare. She's fab.

Char0901

Visit site
This is pretty much what I'm doing at the minute. A lady on the yard where I keep my yearling has offered me free rein of her 17.2 ex-dressage horse, sort of semi-retired but needs keeping in work to stay sane! May do a few low level comps over winter. It's ideal for us as it keeps my riding ticking over as I have nothing else to ride until I back my youngster and it helps the lady out.
At this time of year particularly I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding something, especially if you're capable with youngsters and backing. Good luck! x

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I think you'll be snapped up!

I'd add to A's advert that you're happy on bigger horses too. I read it as a pony rider mainly.

I have a 15 yr old ride my ex event mare. She's fab.

This. I'm only 5ft 2 & when I was younger exercised event horses. If you can ride, you can ride!