Is this too old?

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Currently on the look out for a pony for my cousin (she's 11). She's been riding for a few years now, but her parents have finally decided she can have her own horse (she's done the working at the stables, etc). I have been drafted in to find something for her as said parents are not horsey!

Anyway, I've had someone contact me with a 'been there, done that' PC pony who's 14.1hh, which is the size range we're looking at. However, the pony is 16.

Do you think this is too old to take on? Just wondered your opinion is on this.

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Depends if you are looking to get all your money back when you resell it. At least you know that it should be of a sensible age.

Ive gone to see a 14 year old, and to be honest the age doesnt bother me.

I heard that there was a huge demand for horses of that size.

clipclop

Visit site
Sounds like a perfect age. Still got plenty of years left. (Assuming pony is healthy)
smile.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I agree, my pc pony was 16 when I got her and she did me all the way through my teenage years. If they have a bit of native in them and have been well looked after then mid-late teens is not old for a pony
smile.gif

The only consideration is if they would want to sell it on at some point, but realistically they sound like they are looking for a fun pony rather than a project to bring on - I would certainly have a look!

Parkranger

Visit site
My first loan pony was 16 and taught me so much - jumping, confidence out hacking etc.....only problem will be as the horse gets older they'll have to shoulder the vets fees etc.....maybe a loan pony is the way to go but something older?

MillionDollar

Visit site
No that is not too old at all, i have a 22yo in heavy work, and there are ponies at the top of SJ who are 'old', such as Metric (top 138cm pony think hes like 30 now) and Colton Mealstrom (top 148cm pony 19yo) and look at Over To You!!!! I don't think a horse is too old until they tell you that it wants to slow down, i hate hearing about horses who reach 16 (unless there is a reason) and the owner says "oh well you're too old now, out in the field for you", they just qive up on life then.

I think it sounds like a very good sort of pony!
smile.gif

susan_w

Visit site
Will depend on the pony - if it's an old 16 year old, with problems, then I'd say no. If it's a spritely one, then go for it. My boy is 18 and he's like a 6 year old in his behaviour, so has got a good few years in him yet. 16 is not that old. One of the ponies that comes and regularly competes with us, is now 27, and still winning.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Providing the pony is healthy it's age should not go against it, they go on forever.There's one on our yard, he's 28 years of age.still goes to shows, does dressage & jumps to die for. When he was younger he did county levely workers. If you keep them working they stay young, put them out to pasture & they age.
Stroller, the famous 14h2" showjumper that won a silver medal at the Olympics was competing at International level until he was 21years old. He then retired & eventually died in his 30's.
Go for it, he will probably look after your cousin & she'll have a great time.

kerrylou123

Visit site
if they're all too old at 16, all of mine should be close to retirement..... and they certianly arent ready for it, im still getting ran away with, especially by my 18 yr old!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Personally i wouldn't buy a pony of that age BUT i think for a first pony then that is a good age, its been there and done it so will teach her loads.

Plus ponies go on forever so will probably still be going strong right into its 20's!!

I knew a pony that was 32yo and was still winning 3'3 classes.

the watcher

Visit site
Not to old at all, my first one I bought at 17, she carried on showjumping and hunting every winter until she was 24 when she became very ill and had to be PTS. Up until that point she had never had a day's illness or lameness and taught me everything

K9Wendy

Visit site
My friend has just got one for her 7yr old daughter, he is only just turned 32!! Yes he has been there & done that, knows his job and while a bit stiff in the morning is still sweet natured as he has ever been.. a real sweetheart, I would have no hesitation, even in a few years there will still be a home out there for him..

4whitesocks

Visit site
My first pony was 15 or 16, a 13 2 bay mare and she was absolutely fab looked after me to the nth degree....

To be honest teh age doesn't matter as long as pone is healthy and well behaved

Tempi

Visit site
as long as the pony is healthy and dosent have any long term illnesses/problems then i way say thats fine. I know plenty of people that compete on horses that are 20++ (obviously not quite the same thing, but you see what i mean) - aslong as its healthy and happy im sure they will have a great time together!

muffinino

Visit site
I worked with scurry ponies, many of which are old riding ponies and one of ours was a champion at HOYS at the age of 20. Scurrying involves a pair of ponies pulling a vehicle and groom around a course of cones at full gallop so is very strenuous. I rode and led off the older pony (you would think he was 4!) and his owner said he'd never seen him look better when I was grooming for him and the pony was 22 (he's still going strong now@25). Many scurry ponies are in their 20s or even 30 and the oldest champion winning pony was 36! They do a full season from April-Oct with up to 8 shows a month at the height of seaon, travelling all around the country and many of the drivers swear that the reason they last so long is due to them being in work. So I wouldn't say 16 is too old. If anything, it may prolong his life as it'll keep him fit and active.

Blizzard

Visit site
Hmm a topic close to my heart seeing as we in the middle of buying a 16 yr old ourselves for my novice partner to hack out on and learn on.

We actualy had the horse vetted, yes he had wear and tear because it had hunted all his life, but the vet said he would be fine for hacking, which is all hubby wants to do.
And he is totally quiet and bombproof.

The thing is if we bought this same horse 10 years younger we would be looking at 6k, far too much for a light hack for hubby!

So I would say if the pony can do what you want it to then go for it!
Its nice to give horses a second chance or a chance ot continue having fun!
grin.gif

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Not too old at all. A girl at our yard has just bought a 16 year old Section D and he has been absolutely fantastic. He is her first horse and has been and done everything and is ideal for her. The only downside IMO of buying an older horse, is if you want to sell it on later, but, if you intend to keep it until the end, these days I would say he would easily have another 10-15 years life in him.

tarbra

www.lulu.com
Go for it not too old at all! My old girl Jewel was still enjoying show-jumping in the ring untill she was 28, and stayed very healthy until we lost at 34 by which time she had become just part of the family, although she was still be the boss in field right up to the end.
You will have lots of fun with this pony forny happy years
wink.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
No way too old, sounds perfect!
the only reason its age come into play is if she is looking to re sell, and if your looking to get what you paid back!
Otherwise sounds the perfect partner!

Boxers

Visit site
Shouldn't worry about the age - your cousin just wants to get on and go - not spend time teaching a youngster or bringing on a pony.

Our pony is 15 and as fit as a fiddle - the pony we have on loan is 24 and my daughter is showing him, jumping him and hunting him.