Is this what “fresh” means?

Keira 8888

Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well!

So Prince and I went for a walk up the lane to our sand school today. He was very good but I could tell he was quite perky and definitely striding out with a purpose!

We got to our sand school (it’s a 10 min stroll down the lane) there was another horse in a neighbouring field that was racing up and down and pawing the ground! I later found out it was a stallion.

Prince was very well behaved but his trot seemed very fast! It got faster and faster and I was beginning to get dizzy! He was on the lunge with my instructor so I was giving him no instructions and she was trying to slow him down. He then went into canter (my first canter on him and it felt GLORIOUS!) So I had lost my stirrups a bit at the very fast trot - I WILL improve here (!!) - and when we went into canter I was very unbalanced!

Anyway, he was having such fun he threw in a buck and I went flying off. A magnificent safety roll and I was absolutely fine.

My instructor then lunged him for a long time (with me off him) and he cantered around for ages - in a controlled way - but obviously enjoying it and he looked so fantastic. Properly using his back legs and powering on, it was wonderful to watch!

The stallion in the neighbouring field started to calm down and graze and once he’d been worked on both reins I decided to get back on.

He was much calmer and I practised my rising trot which I think is definitely feeling more fluid and controlled.

My instructor (by instructor I mean my friend who had owned horses for 14 years and is helping us out of the goodness of her heart) said that she thinks he needs more exercise.

This makes sense - he’s a big horse and probably feeling the best he has for a longer time, with good food and turnout.

I won’t let what happened today get me down. I think the stallion going mental in the field next to us sparked P up and because I was on the lunge I didn’t expect it.

I don’t know what my question is here...

Just wanted to share what happened with you all.

No biggie, I wasn’t upset or hurt when I came off. I know there were circumstances that contributed to his excitement

I guess I now need to chew over the fact that he needs more exercise and I can’t always have the luxury of someone with me during the week to do this.

So I’m going to get going properly on my own tomorrow. By that I mean, taking him up to the school on my own and then lunging him and riding him.

It was actually quite enjoyable today seeing him so fired up. I know it means he’s feeling good.

I just need to man up and ride him with confidence.

Sorry for rambling pointless message! Just wanted to share xxx

Keira 8888

Visit site
You need to take him for some nice long hacks too, up and down the hills (if you have any) or really walking out on roads and tracks. Too much school work is not always the best thing for a big strong horse.
Ahh! Now that is very interesting! He loves his hacks and is very well behaved on them. I need to find the confidence to do this on my own if a friend isn’t available. And luckily I have a big hill near me. Coming off today was actually a good thing, as I anticipate “the worst that can happen” and when it DOES happen you just get back on board!

I will push on ? Thanks for your excellent to reply xxx

Keira 8888

Visit site
Yes that's fresh but be careful with the advice to give him more exercise. If he gets fitter he could get even fresher. It might be a better idea to cut down his hard food, if he gets any, he's looking plenty well covered in your latest photos of him.
Oh Jesus!!! I couldn’t cope with that!!! He had pink mash, garlic and balancer in the evening. Do you think I should substitute this for extra hay? Xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your friend should have made sure that you were secure before sending him into canter, tbh. I wouldn't want him cantering round and round on an artificial surface, that is not good for their joints. What is he being fed? I would cut his feed, other than hay/lage right down before increasing his exercise, if you are not able to keep up with him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh Jesus!!! I couldn’t cope with that!!! He had pink mash, garlic and balancer in the evening. Do you think I should substitute this for extra hay? Xx

Please don't feed him garlic, it destroys the gut flora. I would reduce the pink mash, certainly. Do you know what is in the balancer? Is it alfalfa based by any chance?

ETS, research shows me thatalfalfa is vaguely possible but unlikely. However PM contains soya. I would also be very careful feeding soya, as some horses react badly to it.

Last edited:

Keira 8888

Visit site
Your friend should have made sure that you were secure before sending him into canter, tbh. I wouldn't want him cantering round and round on an artificial surface, that is not good for their joints. What is he being fed? I would cut his feed, other than hay/lage right down before increasing his exercise, if you are not able to keep up with him.
I think she was trying but didn’t want to alarm me. She normally lunges him before I school him. Thanks for advice on cantering on artificial surface repeatedly, I will talk to her about this. He is currently on pink mash for his hind gut, equilibra 500 balancer to help his immune system and garlic ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
Please don't feed him garlic, it destroys the gut flora. I would reduce the pink mash, certainly. Do you know what is in the balancer? Is it alfalfa based by any chance?

ETS, research shows me thatalfalfa is vaguely possible but unlikely. However PM contains soya. I would also be very careful feeding soya, as some horses react badly to it.
I know for a fact he reacts badly to alpha A so none of his feeds contain it. My thinking with the pink mash was to help his hind gut. What are your thoughts on pink mash? Xx

Littlewills

Visit site

Pink mash is just about the lowest sugar and starch feed you can buy. It contains soya hulls not oil, so its very unlikely he's reacting to that. I've never heard anyone say they've had a horse light up on it, and its ideal for a horse who has had ulcers but doesn't need any real feed

Littlewills

Visit site
Pink mash made my horse who was later diagnosed with hind gut acidosis to be much more reactive, even though the blurb suggests that it is good for HGA. It isn’t, in my experience.

Cross posted with this. Ive fed it to two with hind gut issues with really good success, and feed it to everything now. that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say its made a horse reactive. Guess there's always some it doesn't agree with.

I'd still be shocked if it was the feed, rather than the rampaging stallion combined with a bouncing and unbalanced rider in canter on the lunge.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Cross posted with this. Ive fed it to two with hind gut issues with really good success, and feed it to everything now. that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say its made a horse reactive. Guess there's always some it doesn't agree with.

I'd still be shocked if it was the feed, rather than the rampaging stallion combined with a bouncing and unbalanced rider in canter on the lunge.
Haha!!!! Oh boy was I a little balanced and bouncing! Poor Prince ??? I think I use my knees too much to stabilise. How can I work on improving my balance? Should I sink deeper into my heels? X

Keira 8888

Visit site
Pink mash is just about the lowest sugar and starch feed you can buy. It contains soya hulls not oil, so its very unlikely he's reacting to that. I've never heard anyone say they've had a horse light up on it, and its ideal for a horse who has had ulcers but doesn't need any real feed
Thank you!! This is why I chose it for his cushings. And ulcers! Thanks for your thoughts on this ? xx

Arzada

Visit site
Another time, or maybe you did this time, lunge Prince until he is settled and then ride him. I would also have the reins available to use should the person lungeing, as in this case, be unable to slow the trot/stop the horse from cantering. And have a neckstrap. Glad that you are OK

Littlewills

Visit site
Haha!!!! Oh boy was I a little balanced and bouncing! Poor Prince ??? I think I use my knees too much to stabilise. How can I work on improving my balance? Should I sink deeper into my heels? X

Dont worry about Prince. He deposited you on the floor when he had had enough, lol. I wouldn't over think it. just make sure you have the ability to use your reins in future. That way you can stop the situation getting to that point :)

doodle

Visit site
Robin would go into orbit if there was a stallion pratting about in the field beside him!

And yes not ideal to canter round and round on the lunge but sometimes circumstances mean they “need” to work off some energy. Better that than deposit you again.

wren123

Visit site

Well done for getting back on.

You've got to let your legs hang down and avoid gripping in any way which will push you out of the saddle. Think of lifting your chest and keep it still and let your lower body follow the movement of the horse.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Sometimes, horses are just fresh. The stallion twatting about in the field next door probably didn't help either.

I would potentially wait and see if it is part of a wider pattern before making big changes to his management. I'd also consider going on lots of long, slow hacks (if this is possible for you) rather than always doing faster work in the school as this will make him fitter and have more energy and could become a bit of a vicious cycle. Could you take him out for walks in hand if you don't feel confident riding him out alone?

If he does continue to feel fresh and full of beans, I would consider completely cutting out the hard feed for a bit!

Congratulations on the canter, though!

I also think sometimes they need to canter around and get it out of their system- but I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

You obviously have limited experience of horses which react badly to feed. You are fortunate that yours haven't done but it is absolutely NOT unheard of for horses to react to soya (see Tp's post #10). In some cases a *tiny* amount of the offending feed is all that is needed for everything to go wrong, maybe with disastrous consequences.
Actually the phrase you used in another post 'P had obviously had enough' hit a chord with me. My mare who was reactive to all cereals and sugar did exactly that before we changed her feed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My 2 were fresh today it's very cold I would lunge first and put on a quarter fleece mine are much better with the warmth when riding.

I feed pink mash as both of my Arabs are really reactive to feed, the most reactive one has stopped eating his feed so I soaked him some unmolassed sugar beet today as I want him to eat his supplements, they only get a few handfuls of dry pink mash I wouldn't feed scoops of it even a low sugar feed can make a lot of horses feel far too well.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Well done for getting back on.

You've got to let your legs hang down and avoid gripping in any way which will push you out of the saddle. Think of lifting your chest and keep it still and let your lower body follow the movement of the horse.
This is really helpful, thanks. I will try this tomorrow. ?

Littlewills

Visit site
You obviously have limited experience of horses which react badly to feed. You are fortunate that yours haven't done but it is absolutely NOT unheard of for horses to react to soya (see Tp's post #10). In some cases a *tiny* amount of the offending feed is all that is needed for everything to go wrong, maybe with disastrous consequences.
Actually the phrase you used in another post 'P had obviously had enough' hit a chord with me. My mare who was reactive to all cereals and sugar did exactly that before we changed her feed.

Except I haven't had limited experience of horses reacting to feed and that's why I feed pink mash. Soya oil is well known for causing adverse reactions in horses. The hulls are not.

Everyone is offering advice and sending Kiera chasing down rabbit holes over feed, when she has a clear cut cause. If the horse continues to behave out of character then you can look for other causes, but in this instance, the cause is known, another horse winding him up combined with an unbalanced rider. The horse has been fine previously.

Look for the obvious cause first before you start looking for problems that dont exist.

Keira 8888

Visit site
My 2 were fresh today it's very cold I would lunge first and put on a quarter fleece mine are much better with the warmth when riding.

I feed pink mash as both of my Arabs are really reactive to feed, the most reactive one has stopped eating his feed so I soaked him some unmolassed sugar beet today as I want him to eat his supplements, they only get a few handfuls of dry pink mash I wouldn't feed scoops of it even a low sugar feed can make a lot of horses feel far too well.

I’m off to buy a quarter fleece! Thank you x

indie1282

Visit site
Except I haven't had limited experience of horses reacting to feed and that's why I feed pink mash. Soya oil is well known for causing adverse reactions in horses. The hulls are not.

Everyone is offering advice and sending Kiera chasing down rabbit holes over feed, when she has a clear cut cause. If the horse continues to behave out of character then you can look for other causes, but in this instance, the cause is known, another horse winding him up combined with an unbalanced rider. The horse has been fine previously.

Look for the obvious cause first before you start looking for problems that dont exist.

I agree with this. The stallion pratting around would make me think thats the cause of Prince's somewhat exuberant behaviour. I certainly wouldn't be going down the feed route and looking for problems that are probably not there at this stage..

Well done for getting back on. I would put the incident out of your head and carry on as you were, I also wouldn't be bothered by him cantering on the lunge as a one off.

FWIW both my two would be wound up if there was a stallion bouncing round next door to them!!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well!

So Prince and I went for a walk up the lane to our sand school today. He was very good but I could tell he was quite perky and definitely striding out with a purpose!

We got to our sand school (it’s a 10 min stroll down the lane) there was another horse in a neighbouring field that was racing up and down and pawing the ground! I later found out it was a stallion.

Prince was very well behaved but his trot seemed very fast! It got faster and faster and I was beginning to get dizzy! He was on the lunge with my instructor so I was giving him no instructions and she was trying to slow him down. He then went into canter (my first canter on him and it felt GLORIOUS!) So I had lost my stirrups a bit at the very fast trot - I WILL improve here (!!) - and when we went into canter I was very unbalanced!

Anyway, he was having such fun he threw in a buck and I went flying off. A magnificent safety roll and I was absolutely fine.

My instructor then lunged him for a long time (with me off him) and he cantered around for ages - in a controlled way - but obviously enjoying it and he looked so fantastic. Properly using his back legs and powering on, it was wonderful to watch!

The stallion in the neighbouring field started to calm down and graze and once he’d been worked on both reins I decided to get back on.

He was much calmer and I practised my rising trot which I think is definitely feeling more fluid and controlled.

My instructor (by instructor I mean my friend who had owned horses for 14 years and is helping us out of the goodness of her heart) said that she thinks he needs more exercise.

This makes sense - he’s a big horse and probably feeling the best he has for a longer time, with good food and turnout.

I won’t let what happened today get me down. I think the stallion going mental in the field next to us sparked P up and because I was on the lunge I didn’t expect it.

I don’t know what my question is here...

Just wanted to share what happened with you all.

No biggie, I wasn’t upset or hurt when I came off. I know there were circumstances that contributed to his excitement

I guess I now need to chew over the fact that he needs more exercise and I can’t always have the luxury of someone with me during the week to do this.

So I’m going to get going properly on my own tomorrow. By that I mean, taking him up to the school on my own and then lunging him and riding him.

It was actually quite enjoyable today seeing him so fired up. I know it means he’s feeling good.

I just need to man up and ride him with confidence.

Sorry for rambling pointless message! Just wanted to share xxx

You practised your rising trot.

I'm interested to know ...are you out of practice or a novice

Keira 8888

Visit site
I agree with this. The stallion pratting around would make me think thats the cause of Prince's somewhat exuberant behaviour. I certainly wouldn't be going down the feed route and looking for problems that are probably not there at this stage..

Well done for getting back on. I would put the incident out of your head and carry on as you were, I also wouldn't be bothered by him cantering on the lunge as a one off.

FWIW both my two would be wound up if there was a stallion bouncing round next door to them!!

Thank you, that’s good to hear. I think it was exceptional circumstances today and our fault for not lunging him first. I think I need to bite the bullet and do more with him each day - on my own. I’m only going to build true confidence if I push through a few fear boundaries!!

Keira 8888

Visit site
You practised your rising trot.

I'm interested to know ...are you out of practice or a novice
Both!

I used to ride from the age of 5 to 18. I then stopped riding regularly, eventually had kids, but never got over my passion for horses.

I’m now 40. My daughter had shown a passion for riding so I seized the opportunity to get her into riding!

I want to focus on very basic things at the moment so I build my strength and confidence back up. Have been doing lots of practise without stirrups to build a firmer seat but today it wasn’t my day!

Luckily I have all the time in the world to get there. Just feel a little deflated sometimes when my stupid old body won’t do what my head tells it to! X

Keira 8888

Visit site

Thank you ? I will do just that. I’m going to put it out of my head and try again tomorrow. Really need to improve my riding without gripping with my knees when I get anxious!!!